Status: Done.

Running from the Rain

And I watched it begin again.

This wasn't like him.

This wasn't like John O'Callaghan to mop around. Yet, he still couldn't move on and he hated that. He hated when his heart had more control than his mind.

The boy sighed, raking his fingers through his unruly hair as he stared blankly at the notebook in front of him. He read over the words before finally giving up and dropping the scribbled paper onto his bed.

Not only had his heart been crushed but, his writing was suffering because of it. All he found himself writing was stuff that would make everyone feel bad for him and the last time he checked he was in a band not John Mayer. He had to get his feelings under control. After all, several months had past since he had lost the one girl he had ever felt strongly about. Sure, he should have been prepared. He should have seen it ending that way and yet it didn't make it hurt any less.

"What are you doing?" He heard, his eyes immediately shooting over to his bedroom door.

"Nothing." The boy grumbled out as relief washed over him since it was just Kennedy and he didn't have to pretend to be ok like he did around everyone else including his family.

A sigh escaped Kennedy's lips knowing very well the boy was struggling to come to terms with the outcome of his love life. He truthfully felt bad for the boy, no matter how anyone perceived John he knew that he had a good heart. He just always seemed to give it away to people who weren't willing to do the same for him.

"Gar and I stopped by to see if you wanted to go get dinner with us and maybe a few drinks..."

John's eyes met his once more and he could see John contemplating the offer just from his body language.

"I don't know man..." He got out, tugging at the ends of his hair. The offer seemed appealing and in reality would probably make him feel better but he wasn't quite sure if he was ready to do so.

"Come on. We will wait for you to shower. Go." Kennedy urged and John just looked at the boy.

"Dude, you need to get out. Go." Kennedy said, his tone more serious than John thought possible.

With that, another word was not spoken, he just brushed past the boy and headed to the bathroom.

Kennedy sighed in relief before making his way down to the living room where Garrett sat waiting.

"Well?" The dark haired boy asked as he pushed up his glasses.

"He's coming."

"Really?"

Kennedy nodded before falling onto the couch.

"Maybe him getting out will do some good." Garrett offered up hope and Kennedy shrugged, "Can't hurt I suppose."

After waiting thirty minutes or so, a better looking John made his way down the stairs and if Kennedy didn't know what state he was really in he would have never guessed by the looks of him.

"Ready?" Garrett asked happily and John managed to nod.

The boys made their way to Garrett's car and headed to the diner they usually hit up before getting drinks. The food was just the kind you needed before you did such a thing. The three boys walked in quickly finding the rest of their group sitting around a table talking loudly. Once their presence was made, Pat gave John a smile as the boy sat down across from him.

"Well, hello."

John chuckled, "Hey dude."

Really, John already felt better being around them. The four guys at the table were the only people he felt that way around right now. He knew they would always be here for him and in more ways than one that was comfortable to know at this moment in his life.

"How are you doing? You know, I know you are all sad and what not but would it kill you to come over and be sad and what not at my house with all of us?" Pat questioned and John shook his head with a grin not sure how he was even friends with Pat, "I assume not."

"Great."

After several minutes at the diner, and food now in front of them, John felt even better than he thought possible. Maybe this was all he needed. Maybe if he just did this for the next few weeks he would be 100 percent back to normal.

Once John was finished, he excused himself to go outside and smoke while everyone else finished up and paid. He slid from the booth, heading out into the now windy, Arizona air. He walked a bit down from the building, and leaned against the brick wall as he fished for his cigarettes. As he lit it up he realized the girl perched not too far from him doing the exact same as she sat on the concrete with a book in her hand.

It always intrigued him when he saw people reading. What were they reading? Why? Was it to escape from reality? To find a new found truth? It could be anything and it always got his mind wondering.

"So are you planning to rob me or are you curious as to why I'm reading?" The girl from the ground spoke without looking up and it startled John so much he pushed up from the wall. He cleared his throat and the girl finally met his gaze.

"What are you reading? Better yet, why are you outside reading?" He finally said trying to return to his smooth spoken ways.

"You know, curiosity killed the cat."

"Mhm, maybe so, but I'm not a cat so there's that..." He added, stepping closer to her only to hear her chuckle softly.

"It's a book by Albert Camus. Brilliant writer. And my sister is getting off in ten minutes and since her car is out of commission because being a 16 year old girl doesn't mean you can drive, I've been stuck with the duty."

"...You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life." John spoke, quoting the author as he flicked his cigarette to the road.

A grin tugged at her lips as she watched the lanky boy before her.

"I'm Charlee."

"John." He offered before sliding down the wall to sit beside the stranger.

Little did either know that such a simple act would change their futures dramatically.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm really excited to get this started! :)