Status: Done.

Running from the Rain

The bottom line.

John sighed as he laid there staring up at the ceiling. He had tossed and turned all night next to Charlee and he had finally given up once 8 in the morning hit. Plus, it was storming which rarely happened and he liked being able to hear it.

John glanced over at the girl who was sleeping peacefully. He was unsure how he felt at the moment. He really cared for her and didn't feel right without her around and kissing her was just...ok, so maybe he did like her. He just needed to admit that to himself. Even more so he needed to realize that wasn't such a bad thing.

He climbed from the bed slowly in order not to wake her. He grabbed his shirt pulling it over his head before leaving the room. He made his way downstairs the thoughts of coffee making him a bit happier. When he walked into the kitchen his mom was surprisingly sitting at the table, reading and drinking coffee.

"Oh good morning." She spoke giving him an odd look. He nodded walking over to the coffee machine.

"You're up early."

"Yeah didn't sleep well."

"I see Charlee stayed unless that purse in the living room is yours."

John sighed sitting across from her, "Yeah, she's here."

"What's the matter?" She asked sitting the newspaper down to give him her undivided attention.

"Nothing, just have a lot on my mind."

"Well that's never good for you."

John rolled his eyes although he knew she was right. He was his own worst enemy.

"Guess this just friends thing isn't working out huh?" She asked picking the paper back up and he groaned running his fingers through his messy hair.

"You like her."

"I just..."

"And you're scared."

"Well..."

"And she hung out with Jenna last night."

"How do you know all this?!"

"Because I know you and the other half because of Facebook."

"You and the internet terrifies me." He grumbled before taking a sip of the warm liquid.

She chuckled, "Right well I have a question, does she like Eric?"

"What?"

"Does Charlee like Eric?"

"I mean, she met him. They get along."

"No, I'm asking if she likes him."

John scoffed, "Of course not."

"Mhm, so she's already not like Jenna."

John sighed looking down at the cup on the table.

"I know..." He whispered and his mom sighed, "Take the chance. Just because it didn't work out the first time doesn't mean you should never try again."

"Easier said than done."

"Yeah well better than ending up alone."

John's eyes moved to her and she grinned before moving to make another cup of coffee. He moved from the table, placing his cup in the sink before heading back to his room. The coffee didn't make him any less tired and the rain was starting to get to him so he climbed back into bed next to the girl.

"Where did you go?" Charlee's voice hit the room in a whisper.

"Oh um, went downstairs for a minute."

"Are you still mad at me?" He asked softly as he brushed back her hair. She shook her head no and he relaxed against the pillow.

"Are you still mad at me?" She asked back.

"I can't be mad at you, Charlee."

She nodded before scooting closer to him, her head hitting his chest. He pulled the cover over them and shut his eyes tightly. This felt so right and he wondered if his mom was in fact right.

"What time is it?"

"Like 9."

"Feels later."

"Thanks to the weather."

She closed her eyes, her fingers making circles into his side. This was how he wanted to spend his mornings and that nerved him because he thought he felt that way about Jenna too.

"Gonna stay in my bed all day?" John asked simply trying to push his thoughts away.

"Yeah." She mumbled, "You owe me for yelling at me last night."

"I didn't yell at you." He grumbled back and she moved enough to raise up and look at him.

"Yes you did."

"And what were you doing? Loudly whispering?" He questioned and she tried not to laugh, "You started it."

"Bullshit."

She didn't respond just cuddled closer to him which he didn't mind.

"You know, all Jenna said about you last night was good things despite what you may think."

The boy tensed before speaking, "What did she say?"

"Just that she was glad you were happy and she knew you had it in you to be a good boyfriend."

"And did you tell her everyone can be a good boyfriend if it's a fake relationship?"

She raised up to look at him, a grin on her lips, "Oh sorry, left that part out."

He chuckled as he watched her climb from the bed.

"Where are you going?" He asked reaching out for her before she could get to far.

"I'm going to the bathroom is that ok with you?"

He smirked, "No."

"Well too bad."

He chuckled as he dropped her wrist and she took off for the bathroom. After only a few minutes she reappeared, John still laying where she left him. She laid beside him and he pulled the cover over her. Charlee cuddled into his side, placing her arm over him lazily.

"Can we just do this every morning?" She asked as he placed his hand over hers.

"That means you'd have to spend the night every night."

"I'm ok with that." She whispered and he gave her hand a squeeze, "Me too." He mumbled as his eyes began to close. He now realized how tired he was.

"Did you not sleep good last night?" She asked, running her fingers into his hair and he pulled her closer.

"No." He mumbled and she pressed her lips to his cheek causing his heart to race.

"Um, you're still coming to the show tonight right?" He managed to ask.

"Yep."

"Going to stay with me tonight? My family will be gone in a few hours visiting my grandmother and they won't be back until tomorrow night."

"Then I shall so you won't get scared."

He scoffed, "How sweet of you. As much as I don't want to, we should probably get up. I have shit to do before the show and I promised I would help Eric and them out with setting up."

"So sweet of you."

He laughed as he crawled over her and moved from the bed.

"Well I'll head home so you can do your hair and what not."

He rolled his eyes as she moved from the bed.

"Are you going to ride with me tonight?"

"Sure."

He nodded grabbing clothes from the closet.

"See you soon then." She said sliding on her shoes and he looked over at her.

"I'll pick you up at six."

She nodded and they said goodbye before she grabbed her things and left his house.

Once at home she didn't waste time on showering. As she left the bathroom, her hair now completely done, she walked into her room to see Carrie.

"And where are you going?"

"I'm going to see John and them play, want to come?" She asked and her sister grinned, "As much as I would love to I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning and I don't know how I would explain having no sleep."

Charlee chuckled as she walked to her closet. Right now she was in jeans and a tank top but that wasn't what she was planning to wear.

"What should I wear?"

"I don't know, trying to impress someone?"

Charlee rolled her eyes, "Hardly."

"Right, well wear those new skinny jeans you just bought, those tan flats and that dressy shirt that matches your eyes."

"Well thanks for that." She chuckled as she grabbed the items from her closet.

Six arrived faster than she was prepared for and John was at her door right as she grabbed up her phone.

"You ready?" He spoke with a grin as he leaned against the door frame of her bedroom.

"Yeah."

He nodded unable to stop staring at her. It was moments like this he realized how truly beautiful she was. He was starting to get in over his head.

She grabbed his wrist on the way past him and he didn't bother to retract it as she led him to the living room.

"Well you two have fun!" Carrie stated from her seat on the couch where she was reading.

"We will. I'll let you know if they really suck or not."

John rolled his eyes causing Carrie to laugh, "I'm sure they don't."

"Thank you." He stated sliding his hand into hers, "Come on, if we are late Eric will never forgive you:"

The pair walked out to his truck, and they drove the short distance to a place she had never been before.

"I'm pretty excited."

He chuckled placing his hand on her lower back as they walked in. It didn't take them long to find the group of guys hanging out before they opened the doors for the fans.

"Thank god. I was going to die soon if I had to stand here and listen to them for much longer." Jenna whispered as she stepped beside Charlee who let out a laugh.

"Let's go get a drink and get a table before people start getting here."

She nodded walking over to John and tugging on his shirt. The boy turned to face her and he grinned immediately, "What's up?"

"I'm going to sit down with Jenna. When are you playing?"

"First so not too much longer."

She nodded and he leaned into her, kissing her cheek as he placed his arm around her.

"Want to come with me?" She asked softly, not bothering to let to of his hand. John shook his head no before kissing her forehead gently.

"I can't. Got to go get ready. I'll see you soon, darlin'." He whispered and she nodded before he pulled away. He gave her a wink before heading back to the stage.

Charlee quickly joined Jenna at the bar and got a drink before sitting close to the stage.

"So you've never seen them play, huh?"

"Not live."

"They really are good. You'll see. I'm also not lying about the girls." Jenna chuckled and Charlee smiled, "I'm ok with that."

The two talked until the show started and honestly Charlee immediately was sucked into their music. She couldn't seem to take her eyes off of John. His presence on stage was hard not to notice. If she didn't like him before she definitely did now.

Once their short set ended, Jenna leaned over to her, "Told you."

Charlee chuckled, "Yeah, yeah."

"And bring on the girls. There will definitely be bitch looks thrown your way tonight."

"Bring it." She said with a chuckle and Jenny laughed, "Let's get another drink before the next band."

While they waited at the bar, she was surprised by a pair of arms that wrapped around her from behind.

"So, did you like it?"

She grinned before turning around to face him.

"It was awesome. You're awesome."

He grinned, and she spoke, "Can you sit with us or will you get molested?"

He let out a laugh, "Our fans are pretty chill so I think it'll be ok."

She nodded as her drink appeared on the bar.

"And a beer please." John spoke over her to the bartender as he handed the guy money for his and her drink.

"Thank you." She whispered and he kissed her temple as she reached for her drink. Sometimes it honestly felt too real even for her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I decided to post early because I have so much written already! :3

Enjoy!

Thanks for commenting;
Recycledsweaters- haha, very true. I was just do excited for the original band to be together again and I was just a bit let down. :( although I'll forever buy their stuff because I feel like we've been together so long I have to still support them. Haha. And I promise next chapter should give you some hope I promise!!

Lovelyhope - the time is coming it promise!!

Everdeen - well she didn't technically meet her but ironically Jenny was involved in this chapter! Are you hacking into my account?! Ha.

Ryanadams - thank you! :)