Status: Done.

Running from the Rain

Imaginary enemy.

John woke up the next morning in his bed, with Charlee laying on his bare chest. He couldn't explain the overwhelming happiness that seemed to consume him at that moment.

A sigh escaped his lips as he shut his eyes back, running his fingers over her back repeatedly. Could he not just live in this moment forever?

"I'm cold." She mumbled and he chuckled, wrapping the cover and his arms around her tightly.

The pair said nothing as they laid there. John was too content to do so and Charlee now over thinking all of the previous nights events. She couldn't believe she let this happen. Not that she regretted it by any means, but she did not imagine sleeping with John.

So much for being mad.

She finally decided to sit up, covering herself with the blanket as he grinned up at her and placed his hands behind his head.

"Where's my shirt?" She mumbled and he chuckled as he sat up enough to look in the floor.

"Not sure, but here." He replied handing her his.

She thanked him and he leaned up kissing her gently.

"How about I make us some breakfast?" He asked and she nodded. He slid from the bed in just his boxers and decided to grab a pair of jeans before leaving the room. She slid on his shirt and forced herself to the mirror so she could try and at least look half decent.

She finally joined him in the kitchen and she honestly was unsure how to act around him right now which was odd for her.

"I made some coffee." He stated and she realized the freshly brewed pot. He held out a cup for her and she made her way over to it as he continued to cook.

"You're quiet. What's wrong?"

"Huh? Oh nothing. I'm usually like this when I wake up John Oh." She stated as she poured the warm liquid into her cup.

"Mhm." He mumbled and she looked over at him as he focused on the eggs he was cooking. She stepped over to him, placing her hand on his back as she leaned into him. She kissed his shoulder causing him to shiver before he placed his free arm around her.

"You're not upset about last night are you?" He asked not daring to look at her in fear of knowing the truth.

"No." She whispered against his skin and he seemed to feel better immediately.

"Good."

"Are you?"

"Of course not. Truth is, I can't even remember the last time I've slept with someone which is very sad..."

She chuckled, "Not sad."

He kissed her quickly before putting the eggs on a plate.

"It is, so needless to say it was probably better for me regardless."

She laughed, "I don't know John Oh, I don't know."

He smirked at her as they grabbed their food and drinks and went to sit at the table.

"Wanna be nice and do me a favor today?" He asked and she chuckled, "Sure, why not?"

He smiled, "So I was going to look at a few apartments today and I realized how boring that is going to be alone, so will you come?"

"Are you moving?"

"Can't live at home forever, sweetie."

"I kind of like us being neighbors."

"Yeah? And I kinda like the idea of having sex with you more than when my parents are gone."

She couldn't help but laugh although a blushed lined her cheeks. Was that going to happen again?

The pair finished eating and after cleaning up, John drug her back to his room.

"What time are you suppose to go?" She asked him as she sat on his bed.

"Like around 2 so no rush." He stated leaning down to connect their lips.

He pulled back with a smile and she fell back onto her back with a sigh. She hated that she liked him so much, especially when he was just a confused, damaged boy.

"What's wrong?" He asked hovering over her once he climbed onto the bed.

"Nothing."

"I wish you would stop saying that."

"Oh, sound like you now, huh?" She teased and he rolled his eyes, "Don't be a smart ass."

She grinned as she propped herself up on her elbows and he kissed her again. His hand slid to her side as their kissing seemed to intensify.

"I also want my own place so you can just walk around in my shirts because it's very sexy." He mumbled against her lips.

"Mhm, well sorry to ruin that for you, but we need to get up and get ready so we can get that over with because I kind of promised Garrett that I would go to dinner with him and Pat."

"Him and Pat? And I'm not invited? I'm questioning my friendship with them." He stated giving her a look and she giggled, "I'm cooler so there's that."

He rolled his eyes as he climbed from her in order to start getting ready.

"I'm still unsure how I feel about that..."

She laughed as she pulled on her jeans, "And what exactly is wrong with it?"

"It's just weird! Them hanging out with you without me."

"Why? It's not like your my boyfriend." She stated and he cringed as he searched for a shirt in his closet. The room grew quiet and she grabbed up her bag form the floor.

"I'm going to run home and shower and what not, I'll come back when I'm done." She mumbled and he nodded not bothering to stop her as she left.

He officially felt like an asshole now. He told her he didn't want to be in a relationship and yet he sleeps with her. Even he knew that wasn't ok. Especially to a girl.

He sighed as he ran his hand through his hair. What made it so much worse was that he liked her. He truly liked her and yet he was treating her like he use to treat girls and he mentally punched himself for being so stupid.

And even worse was the wave of jealousy that hit him when Garrett was brought up. He was certain she didn't like him, but then again what did he know?

By the time he showered and was ready for the day he was a paranoid mess. He decided to call Kennedy to figure out the mess he had created in his head.

"Kennedy..." John spoke and Kennedy immediately knew something was up.

"Everything ok, buddy?"

"No, yes, I don't know. Fuck."

"What happened?"

"Why the fuck is Garrett wanting to hangout with Charlee? I mean, I can call him and ask him but it might not be nice." He stated trying to take the angrier road versus the sob story he knew was the truth.

"Oh the dinner hangout thing? Pat's going so it's nothing."

"Not the point." He grumbled and Kennedy sighed, "Are you jealous?"

"No, I just don't want him to think it's ok for him to try and make a move on her."

"Well I mean, you two aren't together so..."

"So what? She's fair game? No."

"Someone is sounding possessive."

"I don't care." John grumbled now pacing the floor.

"So what's this call really about?"

John sighed into the phone, "We got in a right last night because she asked me what we are and I told her I didn't want a relationship right now, she compared me to Jenna and blah blah and I'm not sure how it happened but we kind of slept together."

"What?!"

"Yeah...I just, I like her Ken. I do. She's so amazing and I just, I don't know how to fix it and I also don't know if I actually am ready to be in a serious relationship."

"Did you tell her you like her?"

"Yes. I've told her several times."

"Well that's a good start. Just take it slow, but what's the difference between hanging out with someone all the time versus a relationship?"

"I don't know." He mumbled as the front door opened and Charlee stepped in.

"Hey man, Charlee's here so I'll talk to you later."

John hung up his phone, his eyes landing on Charlee. What was the difference? Well for starters things were always more complicated in relationships, more serious than needed. He liked them how they were. What was so wrong with that?

"How's Carrie?" He asked and she grinned, "Pretty good actually."

He nodded as he rubbed his arm nervously. This was more uncomfortable than he thought possible. It seemed to be easier before she left.

"You ok?" She asked and he nodded, "Of course."

She nodded not bothering to object just because she felt the tension herself.

Once he reached the door he grabbed up her hand and without a word left the house.

Charlee wanted so badly to ask her where they stood but she didn't want to go down that road again. Instead she just sat quietly beside him in his truck as he held onto her hand.

The first apartment complex they came to, John looked at his phone to make sure it was correct and the pair climbed from the car. They walked into the office and were immediately greeted by a too peppy girl.

"Well hello! Are you here to check out the apartment available?"

John simply nodded in respond and the girl flapped her hands together, "Great! Follow me."

Charlee glanced at the boy as she giggled softly. An amused grin hit his lips immediately.

"So how long have you two been together?! This place is very couple originated! We have pools parties and .." She stated as she continued to walk and Charlee groaned from beside him causing him to laugh.

Once they reached the apartment door he breathed in unsure if he could continue to keep it together. She unlocked the door and the pair walked in. Of course she immediately began showing them around and talking up a storm.

"Oh honey look at the closet!" Charlee stated deciding to just make it entertaining for them.

"Isn't it to die for?" The girl asked excitedly and John had to try and not laugh.

"But honey, we don't need that big of a closet."

She grabbed his arm as she looked at the blonde, "Boys. They just don't understand."

Once the tour ended John and Charlee were laughing all the way to his truck.

"I'm scared to look at another." He said through his laughter.

"It was pretty amusing I must say."

He smiled at her as he leaned against the truck, fishing for his cigarettes. She watched him intently as he finally placed a stick between his lips before adjusting his sunglasses on his eyes.

"What time are you meeting up with them?" He asked lighting the cigarette.

"Like six, you can come you know?" She stated with a smirk.

He shook his head, "Oh no, I'm not intruding. Plus I'm going to Kennedy's and hanging out with him and Jared. Apparently you take up all my time now so they miss me."

She rolled her eyes, "I do not."

"You do so. I'm ok with it, but still."

"I don't make you, you know?"

"I am well aware. I like hanging with you." He said sliding his arm around her waist.

"You should stop smoking."

"I am aware of that too." He mumbled blowing the smoke away from her. His eyes met hers as he threw down the cigarette.

"So are we going to look at another one?" She asked and he reached for her, brushing her hair back.

"Yeah."

He leaned in, kissing her quickly, "Get in the car."

The pair went to two other buildings and on the last one John actually had hope for it. That was until they were leaving the apartment and came face to face with a girl that knew John.

"John? Did you move in?" She questioned and Charlee studied her from where she stood. The girl kind of reminded her of the girl that talked to John at the bar. Were these the type of woman he attracted?

"Oh, hey, um, no. Well, I'm just checking it out so maybe."

"Awesome! Well you should, it would be fun! But I've got to head to work, text me sometime." She said waving at him with a smile before she continued on her way. John sighed scared to even look at Charlee. The look he imagined she had was not what he wanted to see.

Charlee decided against asking about her and John caved as soon as they reached his truck.

"So this is not it either."

"Why not?"

"I'm not living across from that girl."

"Why? She seems to like you."

John rolled his eyes, "exactly. She likes me as in that we slept together once."

"Mhm."

He looked over at her and sighed, "It was like a year or so ago."

"Ok?"

"Just letting you know."

"No need."

He groaned as he tightened his grasp on the steering wheel.

"I mean if it was that long ago why don't you live there? I mean what's the big deal?"

"The big deal is that I don't want you to be uncomfortable or think something is going to happen when it's not."

"I'm not understanding that either."

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing." She mumbled and he groaned, "No, what do you mean by that?"

"Nothing, can you just drop me off at Garrett's?"

John sighed as he glanced over at her, "Yeah."

She crossed her arms uncomfortable from the tension as they drove to the boy's house.

"Thanks for the ride." She stated once they parked and he grabbed her arm before she could hop out.

"Charlee, should I be offended that you clearly don't trust me? I like you. I don't care about any other girl and yet you act like because we aren't officially together that I'm just going to hurt you which isn't the case."

"Well John, should I be offended that you clearly don't like me enough if you aren't willing to be with me like you should be?"

John didn't respond and she spoke, "Exactly. Now let me go."

He dropped his hand from her and she hopped out of the truck immediately. He had no idea what to do now, that was for sure.
♠ ♠ ♠
One step closer then two steps back. ;) but next chapter is one of my favorites! :) P.S this story only has a few more chapters left!

Thanks for commenting;
Everdeen (just know I'm watching My best friend's wedding and I thought of you since you compare my other story to that! Haha)
Chelsea13
Recycledsweaters
:)