Status: Done.

Running from the Rain

Just breathe.

John held onto Charlee's hand as he drove them to the hospital. He wanted to tell her what he knew, but he didn't want to make matters worse so he just kept her close. He held her to him as they rode the elevator up to the floor Charlee was on and he didn't bother removing his arm from her waist as they met her family in the waiting area.

"How is she doing?" Charlee spoke once close enough to her mother. John forced himself from the girl after kissing her head.

"I'll give you two a moment. I'll be back."

John stepped away from the two and began walking until he found Carrie's room. He knocked lightly before opening the door.

"Well who do I owe this visit to?" She joked with a weak smile. He frowned at how fragile the girl looked now. How had he not noticed before?

He forced a smile before closing the door behind him and taking a seat next to her bed.

"How do you feel?" He asked softly and she shrugged, "Ok, I guess."

He nodded as he focused on his hands and she sighed, "Where's Charlee?"

"Oh talking to your mom."

"Ah she's probably telling her how I probably don't have much longer and blah, blah, blah."

John looked up at the girl, "Don't say things like that."

Carrie grinned, "It's true though you know? I'm ok with it now."

"I don't know if Charlee will be ok if that is true though. I don't know if I'll be able to keep her together."

Carried grinned, "John, she is head over heels for you. You are probably the only person who can."

John shrugged as he fumbled with his fingers, "What if I'm not good enough?"

"John. You love her, don't you?"

Johns eyes quickly met hers and she smiled, "You don't have to answer that. I know you do. I can tell just by the way you look at her."

He didn't bother to respond and she continued, "it's ok you know? Love is a scary thing, but when you finally take that chance you find a happiness you didn't even know existed. Especially when they feel the same way and trust me, she feels the same way."

John narrowed his eyes at the girl before speaking, "you're going to be ok." He spoke seriously and she grinned.

"I don't believe so anymore and that's ok. Everything will be ok."

John gently reached out and placed his hand on hers giving it a light squeeze.

"Just promise me you'll tell my nieces and nephews about how kick ass I was and how you two are together because of me."

John chuckled softly, "If that happens I most definitely will."

She laughed softly and he leaned over kissing her cheek.

"I'm still going to say that you're going to be ok."

"As you should."

He grinned, "I should go check on Charlee."

Before he could move, the girl in question flew into the room.

John could tell how she was feeling at the moment just because her eyes were red and of course she was wearing a smile he knew was forced.

"Well hello dear sister. Trying to steal my boyfriend?" She teased causing John to laugh as he relaxed in his seat.

"Pretty sure I couldn't even if I tried." She stated giving John a look who just grinned in return.

"Yeah, you're too mature for him." Charlee stated.

"Ouch." John responded placing his hand over his heart. She chuckled and he waved her over. She obliged, sitting in his lap and he wrapped his arms around her once she sat down.

"How are you feeling?" She asked at a whisper and Carrie shrugged, "Tired."

"You're going to be ok."

"So John keeps saying." She smiled weakly as she tried to keep her eyes open.

"Get some sleep, Carrie. We will be here when you wake." John stated.

She didn't respond, sleep taking over and Charlee turned to face John, her eyes now rimmed with tears all over again.

"Hey..." He whispered cupping her face, "Everything's going to be ok."

She shut her eyes tightly, tears falling down her cheeks.

"I've got you." He whispered pulling her in until she buried her face into his chest.

"I've got you." He repeated as he rubbed her back and let her cling to him tightly.

He didn't know how he was going to get her through this if something did happen to Carrie. All he knew was that he just wanted to make her happy again; take all the bad stuff going on away from her.

After rocking the girl and her falling asleep, it didn't take long for him to fall asleep in the chair, holding her.

"John...Charlee..."

John held his eyes shut, shifting only to get comfortable. His grasp on Charlee not faltering as she slept against him.

"Mhm?" John mumbled out and he cracked his eyes open to see Carly in front of him.

"Why don't you two go home since I'm here?"

Charlee was now waking and John spoke softly, "Tell her that."

Carly rolled her eyes, "Charlee go home and get some sleep. You can come back later."

"No I can stay." She mumbled out still half asleep as she rubbed her eyes.

"Baby, we will come right back. You need sleep and possibly some food." John said calmly as he rubbed her back gently.

The room grew quiet as she thought it over and he gently nudged her from her spot on him.

"Come on. It won't be too long."

She decided not to object because she was in fact still tired.

"We will be back shortly." John said as he grabbed her hand. The pair walked to his truck in silence and once in he glanced over at her. He didn't want to keep telling her it would all be ok, but he didn't want her to keep everything bottled inside and feel like the world was crashing down. He gave her knee a squeeze as he decided to stop and pick them up some fast food. Once that was done he drove to his place so they could eat and she could take a nap.

"How are you feeling?" He asked as he sat the food on the table. She shrugged and sat down quickly. He of course took the seat next to her before grabbing her hand.

"Charlee..."

Her eyes met his and he kissed the top of her hand, "No matter what happens, we will get through it. Together. I swear to you."

She sighed as she pinched the bridge of her nose trying not to cry again. He leaned in and kissed her cheek, "Charlee, I love you." He whispered against her skin.

Her eyes immediately met his and he cupped her face, "I do. I love you. You don't have to say it back, I just wanted to get that out. It's just that for once I feel like what I feel is returned. You're everything I could possibly ask for..."

"And so much more?" She mumbled and he chuckled, "Have you actually been listening to us?"

"Maybe."

He grinned and she stared at him in thought. Although everything was a disaster right now she felt so much for him and she was so glad he was there for her.

"I love you too." She spoke nervously and his smile widened, "You sure?"

She couldn't help but laugh softly, "I don't just say that to everyone, O'Callaghan."

"I mean, I know, but I'm just making sure."

She smiled and he pulled her closer, "I am aware of how shitty my timing is, but I just want you to know that I'm here for you regardless."

Charlee brought her hand to his cheek, "I know you would be whether you said that or not."

"Why is that?" He asked softly.

"Because you are one of the best people I know."

"You give me too much credit."

"That's what I'm suppose to do."

He chuckled before kissing her lips, "Now let's eat and what not so we can go back to the hospital."

She nodded, kissing his cheek before reaching for the bag of food. She was certain things were never going to be the same, but she had him and that made her want to keep going and that was something.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry it's been a while! Forgive me? :(

And a big thank you to my favorite people for commenting:
Lovelyhope
Everdeen
Recycledsweaters
Chelsea13
:)