Status: Done.

Running from the Rain

Back to the beginning.

"Just go to Eric's with me. The guys haven't seen you in forever and you need to relax." John stated leaning on the door frame of her room.

A couple weeks had past since the inevitable happened, Charlee's sister had passed away. Which meant that Charlee had been worried about her family more so than he ever recalled. Although he couldn't blame her simply because he didn't know how he would handle such a thing, it was starting to take it's toll on her and he could tell. Then again, even he felt horrible about it. He had grown fond or Carrie. She was caring and understanding. In a way it made sense. She was too good to be here where everything was so messed up all the time. He just didn't know how to make Charlee back to the girl he fell in love with and it killed him. The overwhelming sadness that had taken over Charlee when it first happened was something he never wanted to experience again. It hurt his heart in a way he didn't even know possible and it wasn't even his sister. He just wanted her to never feel like that again and he was going to try everything in his power to do that.

"John..." She sighed from where she sat on the bed and he stepped over to her.

"Baby, look. Just for a bit ok? I'm so sick of you being so worried and stressed out and sad. It's not good for you. One night won't hurt you and you need it." He stated as he kneeled in front of her.

Her eyes locked with his and he brought his hand to her cheek.

"So?"

"Ok." She whispered and he smiled before kissing her forehead.

"Can you just do me a favor today?"

"What?" She whispered out.

"It's 8 in the morning. Go back to sleep. You're exhausted. If something was going on your mother would call you. Sleep. I'll take you to eat when you get up and then we can go to Eric's, ok?"

She but her bottom lip in debate as he stared at her waiting for a response.

"I think you forget that while you're worrying, I worry about you." He spoke and she sighed as he brushed back her hair.

"I'm sorry." She frowned and he shook his head, "Not a big deal love, just let me take care of you today ok? If not for yourself but for my own peace of mind."

"Ok." She whispered feeling guilty now for putting him through this. He hadn't left her side since all of this happened and she was more grateful for him than he would ever know. If anything she owed this to him.

He kissed her quickly before pulling her shoes off for her. "I love you." He said seriously as he locked eyes with her.

"I love you too."

He kissed her forehead before she climbed further onto the bed. He gently wrapped the cover around her before placing kisses along her face.

"If you need anything just yell for me."

She nodded as she felt her eyes grow tired. She was in fact exhausted how she didn't realize it she didn't know.

"Sweet dreams baby girl." He mumbled against her hair and she didn't even remember falling asleep. As she slept John decided to try his best and tidy up the house for her family. He knew they had a lot on their plate.

He fell onto the couch after he was done and relaxed his head with a sigh. He was becoming exhausted from this whole ordeal and yet he just wanted to take care of her. Nothing seemed to ever be simple.

A knock on the door caused. John to sit up and he walked over, opening it to reveal Kennedy.

"You're mom said you were here."

John nodded stepping aside to let him in.

"How is she?" Kennedy asked as they sat on the couch.

"Sleeping. For once."

"And how are you?"

John looked over at him, "I don't know anymore."

"I'm sure she would understand if you went home for once."

"What? No. I mean, she would understand but I'm not leaving her."

"How do you always find the one girl with issues?" Kennedy teased.

John scoffed, "She does not have issues."

"I'm just saying. First Jenna, now her."

John rolled his eyes, "They are nothing alike."

"I am well aware."

"Are you two coming tonight?"

John nodded his head and the boy grinned, "By the looks of it I would say she's not the only one who needs sleep."

John groaned, "I am aware of that as well."

Kennedy chuckled, "Go get some sleep man I'll see you tonight." He replied as he patted the boys shoulder before moving from his seat.

John said goodbye and once he locked the door back he made his way to Charlee's room. He was right. He needed to get some sleep. He pulled his shirt off, leaving him in just his jeans before gently crawling into bed with her. He wrapped his arm around her and shut his eyes. He just needed to relax.

The pair slept for longer than either intended. Charlee woke up first and looked over at the clock which now read 2 in the afternoon. She assumed she was in fact exhausted after all.

She felt Johns arm tighten around her and she relaxed back on the pillow.

"Did you sleep ok?"

"Yeah." She whispered and he kissed her neck.

"Good."

"John, you know you don't have to spend every single day with me right? I'm not going to be mad if you want to go home for a while."

"I know you won't, but I would rather be with you. Unless you don't want me to be."

"I don't have a problem with you being here."

He kissed over her cheek, "Go get ready and we will go to dinner before heading to Halvo's."

The girl didn't argue, just did as told and thirty minutes later she walked into the living room where John was waiting.

"Ready?" He asked with a smile and she nodded as he linked their hands.

"Try to have a good time tonight ok? You deserve it." He said seriously as they reached his truck. She breathed in before looking up at him. She knew she had to at least try for him. He deserved it the most.

"Promise." She whispered and he kissed her lips before opening the door for her. The pair went to dinner and by the time they arrived at Eric's, Charlee had to admit that she felt better than she had recently. This was exactly what she needed.

"Charlee." Kennedy spoke with a smile as soon as his eyes came in contact with her. She smiled and the two hugged before he spoke.

"We miss seeing you around, kid."

"I know, I know. But I'm here now."

He nodded patting her head before Pat stole her attention. John took that time to get both of them drinks. He honestly felt like it was already going well tonight and he appreciated it more than ever. He made his way through the crowd and found the girl where he left her. A smile hit his lips as he held out the beer for her. She thanked him between her laughter with Pat and a smile lined his own lips. He had missed the sound of her laughter and the happiness that brought him out of his own shell.

It was these moments that made him positive that he would never give up on her. John sat down on the couch, feeling content for once because he felt like he had finally made her ok at least for a few moments.

"You ok?" He heard and looked up to see Jenna. It was funny really, how now when he looked at her his heart didn't best rapidly and he didn't feel the need to run away. She was just Jenna to him now and it was an amazing feeling. The hatred was gone, the hurt had passed. He was officially over her. Seeing her as a normal person made him appreciate her again.

"Oh yeah." He replied with a nod as she sat beside him.

"She seems to be doing ok."

"As ok as one can be I assume." He stated and she nodded, "She's strong. That much I do know and I'm proud of you for sticking it out for her."

"She would do the same for me." He stated as he eyes landed on the girl not too far from him, "Plus, I love her."

"I know." Jenna responded with a grin, "I'm glad you're happy, John. I truly am. She's exactly who you need and in return she needs you just as much. Don't let her go."

"I won't." He spoke seriously and she smiled before patting his back and moving from the couch.

"I would say sitting here staring at her is creepy but she does that to you as well, so I won't."

He rolled his eyes and she laughed before walking away.

"Why are you sitting here by yourself?"

John looked up from his beer and smiled as Charlee sat in his lap.

"You having fun?" He asked placing his arm around her.

"Yeah. Thank you." She whispered running her fingers through his hair.

"For what?"

"For just everything. I don't know what I would do without you. I love you."

"I love you too." He mumbled before kissing her gently. She placed her arms around his neck and his eyes met hers.

"I really don't deserve you."

John stifled a laugh, "You're kidding, right? I don't deserve you."

She rolled her eyes and he brought his hand to her cheek. It was funny for him to hear such a thing. She didn't deserve him? That was ridiculous. He was always the one who thought he wasn't good enough and here she was saying he was too good for her? It was a strange turn of events even for him and yet his heart swelled with happiness.

"Charlee, I think you may love me too much if you think that." He joked with a grin.

"And what's wrong with that?"

"Nothing at all." He whispered pulling her down to kiss her again, "because I love you way too much too and I'm ok with that."

She smiled before kissing him again, "Let's go home."

"Whoa, how many beers have you had? We haven't even been here an hour and you already want to take me home?" He asked with a smirk and she rolled her eyes.

He laughed as she climbed from his lap and be quickly grabbed her hand, "Baby..."

"I'm just going to go play beer pong with Pat and them."

"Nuh uh. Not now you aren't."

"What?!"

"You can't say something like that to me and then expect me to just let you go!"

She laughed, "I am so confused."

He stood from the couch, pulling her to him, "Are we going to my place or what?"

"John Oh, patience is a virtue."

He scoffed, "I have none. You know that much."

She chuckled as he removed the beer from her hand and sat it on the table beside her.

"Come on."

"Are we going to tell them bye?"

"Nope."

She laughed, "John."

"What?"

She continued to laugh and a smile hit his lips, "Do you want to stay?" He asked once in his truck.

"Nope."

He grinned as he focused on starting his truck.

"You know, I don't usually go home with people from parties, John."

"Oh, well my charm is overwhelming. It happens. Sorry."

Both of them began to laugh and he smiled at her. The feeling between the two right now reminded him of how they were months ago. It excited him. Maybe things could in fact go back to normal.
♠ ♠ ♠
Guys. My lack of inspiration lately is horrible. I have a Garrett Nickelsen story I planned to start once this was done but like I said, I can't seem to get into it. I don't know what's going on. Bleh. :/ but if you want to go ahead and subscribe you can. Hopefully the first chapter will be up soon! - You Have My Attention

Anyways, this story has one or two more chapters left!

Thanks for commenting;
Lovelyhope
Recycledsweaters
Chelsea13
Everdeen
:)