Status: Done.

Running from the Rain

Facing reality.

John oddly found himself wrapped up in a conversation about books with the brunette he had just met. It was honestly one of the best moments he recently had simply because it was just; easy.

As the guys left the restaurant, Kennedy spotted John and gave the others an odd look. He had thought John had a good time, maybe he was wrong. Kennedy made his way over to the boy only to realize he was not alone like he had thought which confused him even more.

"Hey man, you ready?" Kennedy asked causing the boy and the unknown girl to look over at him. He rubbed the back of his neck uncomfortably, not sure who the girl was or what he was interrupting.

"Yeah." John spoke pushing himself up from the ground, wiping his hands off on his jeans. He looked down at the girl who offered up a smile and before he knew what he was doing, words fell from his mouth.

"Can I get your number? Ok, that sounds a lot more creepier than intended. I just think you're cool and yeah... " He mumbled.

In all honesty John just found her interesting. He liked her way of thinking and it felt great to be able to have conversations about books for once which was something he loved. Sure he loved the guys but, every now and then he would have loved to have a friend like her.

"You're creepy I've known that since you were staring at me earlier." She joked holding out her hand and he gave her an odd look.

"I mean are you wanting me to write my number with sticks on the sidewalk or..."

He shook his head with a chuckle as he placed his cell phone in her hand.

"Well you're a smart ass."

"We only discussed books not character traits." She stated holding up his phone for him.

"Well, I know our next topic for our next meeting."

A grin hit her lips, "Goodnight, John."

John repeated the gesture before shoving his hands into his jacket pockets and walking to where Kennedy was waiting.

"Um..." Kennedy finally spoke as they headed to Garrett's car where He waited. John should have seen that coming.

"She likes books."

"Uh, great?"

John rolled his eyes, "That's what we were discussing."

"Ok..."

John ignored the boy as they climbed into the car of course Garrett immediately spoke, "Who's the hot girl?"

"John's friend."

"She's not my friend." He grumbled.

"You got her number."

"So we can talk about books." John stated and Garrett laughed from the driver seat, "Is that what we are calling it now?!"

"I think we are all aware of how I'm not calling it anything. I plan to stay so far from relationships that I'll probably die alone." He grumbled staring out the window and Kennedy sighed, "No you won't."

John shrugged in response not feeling like going out to a bar now. He just wanted to go home, lay on his bed and read that book the girl was reading which he was certain he had stashed somewhere.

"Guys can you just take me home?" He finally stated and Garrett groaned, "dude I was just kidding!"

"I know, I just don't feel like going out. I thought I would be able to do it but I'm just not feeling it. Sorry."

Kennedy didn't bother to speak as they turned down John's familiar road. This was becoming all routine for him and he was becoming frustrated with John and at himself just because no matter what he did he couldn't make his friend feel better.

"Thanks for dinner though. I needed it." John said as they pulled up at his house. Kennedy didn't speak and John gave him a look deciding against asking him what was wrong and instead hopped from the car.

Clearly he was now making other people miserable now. added that on to his list.

Once safely confined in his room he kicked off his shoes and walked over to a box of books he had stashed in his closet. He dug until he found the one in question and smiled as he fell onto his bed. He hadn't read in so long he forgot how much he missed it, how content it always seemed to make him feel. Before he opened the book, he pulled his phone out with intention to text the girl he had just met. Once finding her name he sent a simple text asking her what chapter she was on in the book and before he knew it he was engrossed in a conversation with her, the book now resting beside him on the bed. It wasn't that John had a crush, it was simply the fact that she didn't know how screwed up his life was and she didn't know the people in it and that seemed to appeal to him. It also helped that she was intelligent which he found very endearing. She was a breath of fresh air that he needed right now.

He wasn't sure how he got so wrapped in her but the next few days were spent texting the girl every chance he got. He was never a big texter so that was a big deal in itself.

Just to clear things up, he didn't like her like that. In fact he wasn't sure if he ever would like someone again like he did Jenna, the girl who broke his heart in ways he never imagined, but it wasn't like he was anti-girl now. A friend was always welcomed.

"You know, inviting strangers over to your place isn't smart." He heard and looked over with a smile as Charlee appeared in his bedroom doorway.

"You know walking into a strangers house unannounced isn't smart either." He replied smoothly and she grinned as she walked over sitting on his bed as he sat up quickly.

"I'd hardly call you a stranger anymore but none the less I still can't believe you live only a few houses down. I really need to pay attention more." John stayed rubbing the back of his neck and she chuckled "As do I apparently, but in your defense I only moved here a few months ago."

She picked up the book beside him and he watched her as she examined it, "Were you reading?"

"Trying to, got distracted."

She nodded and he studied her as she pushed herself further onto the bed.

"What's your last name?" She questioned and he chuckled at her randomness.

"O'Callaghan."

"Cute."

John scoffed , "and what's yours?"

"Keaton."

"Cute." He mocked and she chuckled before laying on her back, placing her hands on her stomach. He couldn't help but laugh as he did the same thing.

"Why are you laughing?"

"I don't know, you just amuse me."

"How so?" She asked and he shrugged, "you're so I don't know, different."

"Ah yes different as in I'm the coolest person you've ever met. Not hard to believe. I saw your friends."

John began to laugh, a real laugh that he hadn't felt in a long time, "I'm telling them you said that."

"I'll tell them when I meet them."

"Are you planning on meeting them?" He asked with a smirk and she nodded, "Oh yeah because let's face it. We're friends now."

"Mhm. Well one of them did say you were hot."

"Well except for him. He may in fact be the only cool one."

John shook his head with a smile, not believing the words that came from this girl. He never knew what was next.

"You can meet them tomorrow if you'd like, I'm sure they will be here tomorrow trying to tell me to do something with my life like they have been the last few days."

"Are you not doing anything with your life John?"

"Well, yeah, I mean I'm in a band with my uncool friends and we are doing pretty well."

"But..."

"But, I've had some relationship problems recently and they think I can just miraculously wake up and be my old self." He stated softly as he stared up at the ceiling.

"But it's not that easy you know? I wish it was, but..." He stated shaking his head. He didn't know why he was confiding in a stranger but he felt better already if that made sense.

The girl turned her head to look at him, she didn't have to know him well enough to know he was hurting. His green eyes gave that a way the moment they met and for some reason his kindness and his soft voice made her want to help him. Maybe it was irrational to be laying in someone's bed she had just met days ago but she assumed someone somewhere had done worse and for some reason the boy made her feel comfortable. A feeling she was just now feeling for the first time since she had moved to this area.

"Just because you break up with someone doesn't mean you stop loving them." She spoke and he turned to look at her, "That's the thing, we were never even really together and I just, I don't know, I loved her though. That I am sure of."

"Regardless, that love doesn't go away, it takes time. After my first love you could say, it took me literally a whole year to be completely moved on. But trust me it will happen and you will feel so relieved and happy again . Every day will get better I promise."

"And what if you still have to see them? Then what?" He asked, his green eyes now filled with torture again.

"I don't know, John. Maybe you shouldn't though."

"I've just screwed up so much I don't know what to do." He mumbled and she grinned, "The good thing is that time goes on so all those screw ups eventually do not matter. You can't stay focused on them."

"I know it's just hard when she's dating someone my friends are friends with."

"You're not included in that?"

He sighed, "She's with my ex best friend which makes me sound like a girl for saying but yeah, just another relationship I screwed up."

"You know, another thing about screw ups is it usually takes two people."

"I feel like now you are just trying to make me feel better."

A grin hit her lips,"Is it working?"

"A little I must say."

She chuckled before going back to the serious manner they were just trapped in, "John, you can fix anything you want to including yourself. You just have to put in the effort and stop feeling sorry for yourself."

"It's really hard to do that when your heart still hurts so much." He mumbled diverting his eyes from her gaze. He couldn't believe he was spilling all this out to the girl.

"I know, but it'll help you in the long run."

He nodded as he looked back at her, "Charlee..."

"Thank you. I know this is ridiculous and you probably won't talk to me after this because you think I'm insane because we just met and I'm sitting here spilling my problems to you, but none the less thank you for listening. It makes it so much easier to talk to someone who knows nothing about the situation ."

"You're welcome. What are neighbors for?"

John chuckled, "Right well I do hope you decide to hang out with me tomorrow and meet my friends I think you guys would get along well and seeing as how you've only been here a few months you need some friends."

"Maybe I like being alone." She spoke softly and his eyes met her blue ones, "no one likes to be alone, not really anyways."

"Then why are you forcing yourself to be alone?"

"Because sometimes being alone is the only option you have."

"Good thing you've just received a good neighbor friend." She stated placing her hands behind her head and a weak grin bit his lips, " Yeah. You're right."

And in that moment he was happy he had met her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just know, next chapter will be a look into Charlee's life. :3

Thanks for commenting;
Galaxydefender;
Lovelyhope
Eveeeeen (favorite quote from that movie!)
WetheCATHLYN
:)