Status: Done.

Running from the Rain

Best of me.

Once John and Charlee parked in front of the now packed house John grew nervous. He ran his fingers through his hair as he climbed from his truck slowly. Charlee watched him as she walked over to his side of the car.

"It's going to be fine." She spoke with a smile as she grabbed his hand for support.

"What if she tries to talk to me? Then what?"

"I'll yell fire and we can run?"

A grin hit his lips as he looked down at her.

"I'll make sure she doesn't ok?"

"You don't even know what she looks like."

"Well can you not show me? Come on." She spoke tugging him up to the porch and he pulled her back before she could knock.

"Why are you doing this for me? You don't even know me." He said seriously and she grinned, "Sadly I think I know you better than half these people in here."

A frown hit his lips and she spoke again, "I like you. Why can't I help you?"

He shrugged and a smile hit her red lips, "Come on."

He nodded as she pulled him inside, immediately running into Pat.

"You came!" He shouted, hugging the girl immediately. Charlee laughed and hugged him back.

"How did you get him here?" Kennedy questioned as he walked up and john shot him a look.

"I'm charming what can I say?"

"Ha! You are far from that!"

"Come meet Halvo, I just want to see it happen!" Pat stated and John immediately grew uncomfortable just knowing the boy was here.

"I..." She started only to be cut off by John, "No, it's ok. I'm going to get is some drinks."

"Are you sure?" She asked, her blue eyes now serious and he grinned, "I'm sure, go."

She nodded and he gave her arm a squeeze before finding his way to the kitchen as she was dragged off by Pat.

"Yo Halvo this is the girl I was telling you about!" Jared stated as she walked up. Charlee smirked and placed her hands on her hips, " Already talking about me? I'm flattered."

The boy called Halvo chuckled, "I'm Halvo nice to meet you."

"Ah the boy who is like me, I'm Charlee. The Charlee apparently."

"So tell me again how we know you."

"Well unless you've dreamt about me, you do not know me good sir."

Eric laughed once more and leaned against the pool table he was playing at, "I can see why they assume we would get along."

"And why is that?"

"Because you just say what you want and as do I."

"Dangerous."

"Very much so and yet a bit fun."

She chuckled and the boy smiled, "So you show up to my party and you still haven't told me how you know the guys."

"Well I know John."

"Oh I see."

"Yeah, in fact I need to find him."

"Wait. He's here?" He questioned, his eyes going wide.

"Yeah."

Eric nodded as he looked around the room. Charlee only assumed it was for the missing boy. Before she could excuse herself some girl came up and grabbed Halvo's arm.

"Garrett needs your help." She stated before her eyes landed on the girl before them.

"Oh hi, I'm Jenna." She said smiling as she held out her hand.

"Oh, I'm Charlee. Nice to meet you."

So this was the girl. She was certain it had to be the way Eric was holding on to her.

"Well I should um, go find John." Charlee spoke and Jenna's eyes got side just like Eric's had, "John's here?"

Charlee nodded, "Yeah and I came with him and I ditched him for Pat who apparently ditched me already."

"You came with him? Sorry, that sounded rude I just haven't ever seen you and he hasn't came to a party in forever. Is he doing ok? Are you two like, I don't know, dating?" Jenna asked and Charlee immediately hated how sad they were assuming John was and really she didn't want them to have the satisfaction of knowing it was true.

"Yeah, we have been for a few weeks." She lied with a smile of her own.

"Well that's good I'm glad he's doing well." She said which seemed sincere but Charles still had to force the smile, "He is but I really need to go find him. Nice meeting you two." She stated before heading in the opposite direction.

"Oh there you are." John spoke carrying two drinks as he walked out of the kitchen.

"We need to talk now." She said grabbing one of the cups with one hand and his arm with the other. She pulled him outside, and he continued eyeing her like she was crazy once they came to a stop.

"Don't kill me..."

A groan escaped his lips, "Charlee...what did you do?"

"Well I met Eric and Jenna..."

John froze and she continued, "And she kept asking me all this shit about you and about me and I hated how they act like you are a basket case and all pathetic and it just aggravated me and all in all we are dating. Surprise."

"Charlee!"

"I'm sorry but I couldn't let them sit there and act like that because you aren't either of those things and I had to prove it!"

John couldn't help the grin that hit his lips and she placed her hands on her hips, "What?"

He shrugged and she smiled, "You love me huh? Wanna hug this out?"

John laughed as she embraced him, wrapping her arms around his torso.

"You are insane." He stated hugging her back.

She giggled into his shirt before pulling away, "Then you must be too. Come on."

She grabbed the boys hand pulling him back inside.

"Should we tell the guys before they blow our cover?" He asked and she nodded, "Good idea. I'll find Garrett."

"So you can flirt?" He asked with a smirk. He was joking of course, but it was now an ongoing joke.

"Just a bonus." She responded with a wink and he laughed as she headed towards the kitchen only to be grabbed by John once more.

"Shit she sees me. What if she comes over here?!" He asked pulling her more into the hallway by her shirt.

A sigh escaped her lips as she turned to face him, "John..." She spoke coolly as she placed her hands on his cheek, "You will be ok. It will be fine."

"I don't want her to talk to me." He mumbled and Charlee gave him a weak grin, "Yeah but nothing says suck it more than a overly happy person that you are going to pretend to be."

I just..." He trailed off not seeming as confident as he was a few moments ago.

"Yep she's definitely going to come over." He grumbled as he looked up to see the girl closer than before.

"I'll stay with you then."

A sigh escaped his lips as his eyes met hers, "This is pathetic."

"It is not." She stated, brushing back his hair from his forehead and he relaxed against the wall.

"Go find the guys, I can handle this."

"You sure?"

He nodded knowing he needed to although he didn't want to.

"Ok." She spoke giving his arm a squeeze as she stood on her toes to press her lips to his jaw.

"Can we hug it out once more for confidence?"

She laughed and wrapped her arms around him.

"Thank you. I mean it Charlee." He mumbled into her hair.

"No problem. See you soon." She stated pulling back and he kissed her forehead innocently.

She watched the girl walk away and he breathed in before pushing up from the wall and downing the rest of his drink. As he made his way to the kitchen he was of course stopped by Jenna.

"I'm glad you came." She spoke softly with a grin. John simply nodded and she continued, "Charlee's sweet. She seems to care about you a lot."

John gulped down the nerves as he looked around the room aimlessly.

"Yeah, she's something else." He answered honestly and Jenna chuckled, "She reminds me of Eric."

"So everyone says..." He grumbled and she smiled, "Maybe a bit prettier."

John scoffed, "Definitely so and she actually knows what a book is."

Jenna chuckled, "Already better than expected."

He nodded and her eyes locked with his, "I'm glad you're here, John. Even happier that you have someone in your life."

He nodded unable to find his voice and she patted his arm before carrying on her way. He hated how nice and understanding she always was. It made hating her so hard.

He definitely needed another drink.

By the time Charlee found Garrett she had told all the other boys and found him making a drink in the kitchen.

"Yo. Gar bear." She spoke loudly, pulling herself up onto the counter. Garrett chuckled, the alcohol making him less shy now.

"Hello Charlee."

"What are you doing?"

"Making a drink and what are you doing?" He asked his blue eyes meeting hers.

"Oh just you know..."

He laughed , "I don't. Here I'll make you one."

"Awe cute and sweet. I'm starting to like you more and more."

And with that Garrett's blush appeared and she chuckled as he poured her a drink into a red solo cup.

"You're shy."

"I'm not really. I just don't know you well." He mumbled holding out her drink which she thanked him for.

"Well tell me about yourself."

He shook his head, "Nothing to tell really, I mean, I'm not that interesting."

Her smile widened and he rubbed the back of his neck, "I don't believe that."

"I promise it's the truth." He stated grasping into his cup as he stared at the bold girl, "I'm just nerdy, awkward Garrett."

"None of which is a bad thing like you are assuming."

"I know it isn't a bad thing, well others might think so. I don't know."

"I don't think it is."

He nodded, his cheeks still lined red.

"You like comics?" She asked and he raised an eyebrow, "Well yeah."

"Favorites?"

"Ah well as cliche as it is now since it's so popular The Walking Dead comics were my thing before it got all popular."

"Ah yes those are the best."

"You've read them?"

"I have them all." She stated with a chuckle and he blinked as he stared at her unsure if she was real.

"Seriously?"

She nodded, kicking her feet back and forth and he grinned, "Cooler than I have you credit for miss Keaton."

She chuckled and the pair didn't move from their spots for another twenty minutes, just talking about nothing really.

"Oh and if someone ask me and John are..." She stated placing her hands together and he have her an odd look, "Twins? Friends? Together?"

Laughter escaped her mouth, "Together. Kind of got us in a situation. Just trying to protect him."

"Figures" he stated with a laugh.

"Actually, I need to check on O'Callaghan." She stated remembering how she left him. She said goodbye to Garrett before hopping off the counter. It didn't take her long to find John outside, sitting on the stairs facing into the darkness.

"Hey John Oh." She spoke, sitting on her knees behind him and wrapping her arms around him.

He chuckled, "You smell like Garrett get off of me."

"Liar." She mumbled, pressing her face into his shirt.

He laughed and she continued, "Did she talk to you?"

"Yeah, and she's so damn nice that it makes it harder to hate her." He grumbled, "And on top of that she thinks you are lovely."

"Well that last part is true so..."

He chuckled, patting her hand that rested on his chest.

"So did you take advantage of Garrett? I mean, way to be a sleeze Char. You're my girlfriend." He teased and she laughed, "I did not take advantage of him!"

"Oh, you expect me to believe that?" He teased, he really just liked messing with her. He knew she didn't actually have a crush on Garrett.

"We just talked!"

"Bullshit."

"Why is that hard to believe?!"

"Because It's you!" John laughed, tugging on her arm until she was in his lap.

"Either way, I hope you were playing nice. I don't think you realize how intimidating you are."

"I am not."

"You so are! You say what's on your mind and you are profoundly attractive. Any normal guy would be intimidated."

"Well you aren't."

John smiled, "I have no reason to be. You aren't trying to get in my pants."

"I'm not trying to get in anyone's pants!"

"Tell Garrett that."

She rolled her eyes and he grinned once more, "I'm glad I met you Charlee. Really, I am."

"Back at you." She whispered and he brushed back her hair before kissing her cheek. He really was fond of the girl. She was exactly what he needed at this time of his messed up life. She couldn't have shown up at a better time.

"Am I your best friend now?" She asked laying her head against his chest.

John chuckled, "I believe you are."

"Good. Everyone needs me in their lives."

"Oh someone is cocky!"

"I'm like you were in your 'just famous' days."

"Ouchhh!"

She giggled and he messed up her hair.

"Stop it jerk."

The pair grew silent, not really caring they were at a party anymore. After a while Charlee finally spoke up, "Want to get out of here?"

"I've wanted to leave since I arrived."

"Oj don't lie. You had fun." She stated looking up at him and he nodded, "I did really. It's been a while."

"I am aware."

John rolled his eyes, "Of course. Everyone tells you everything. I'm glad we aren't really together because after this you would have probably ran away from me."

"Oh please. Everyone has their problems. Yours really aren't that big of a deal."

"And do you have problems?" He asked seriously and she shrugged, "Maybe."

"You know, you can tell me stuff right?"

"I am well aware."

"Ok, just letting you know."

She nodded, "I do. Come on, let's get out of here."

She climbed from his lap grabbing up his hand and pulling him from the stairs.

"Let's find Kennedy and tell him."

She nodded holding onto his hand as they made their way inside.

"Should I invite Gar?" He teased and she shoved him lightly causing him to laugh.

"You're a jerk."

"Hey just trying to do my best friend duties and get you laid."

"I'm not a slut John Oh I don't sleep with people I haven't even been on a date with."

"Add 'not easy' to your list."

"Oh right after intimidating?"

He nodded with a smile and she laughed moving into his side as they stumbled upon Kennedy.

"Yo we're leaving K.B." she stated and Kennedy looked over, "Oh ok. Well glad you got him out. You two make a fantastic couple." He joked and John rolled his eyes as Garrett walked up handing Kennedy a beer. The nerves of the boy clearly obvious .

John couldn't help but laugh and Garrett shot a look at the boy, "What?"

"Nothing man. Nothing at all."

Garrett rolled his eyes and Charlee grabbed Jihn's arm saying goodbye as she dragged him to the door. In typical fashion, once they reached his house, he walked her to her house which wasn't even that far but there was no point in protesting anymore.

"Thank you for tonight, Charlee. I really mean it." John said seriously as he shoved his hands into his jeans once they reached her porch.

"Anytime."

He gave her a grin before she pulled him into a hug.

"See you tomorrow?" He mumbled into her hair.

"Of course. I mean you owe me big time for this. Like lunch and dinner."

He laughed as they parted, "I think I can manage that."

"Great, see you then."

The pair said goodbye and John couldn't keep his thoughts from going back to Charlee as he walked back to his house. She was good for him and she had no idea.
♠ ♠ ♠
So...yeah...

Thanks for commenting;
Everdeen (Yes! Perfect song for them!)
Whiskeyprincess118 (they definitely might be. Lol)
:)