Status: Done.

Running from the Rain

Hope for the best.

"So how are you and that John boy?" She heard and looked up from the mirror to see her sister Carrie sitting on her bed.

Charlee rolled her eyes and went back to applying her mascara.

"I mean, he's fine, I'm fine so I guess we're good."

Carrie scoffed, "Oh please, do you expect me to believe that?"

"Uh, yeah. We're just friends." Charlee said placing her make up back in her bag.

Carrie grinned, "Ok, if you say so."

Charlee sighed and placed her hands on her hips, "So you seem in high spirits today."

Carrie smiled with a grin, "It happens."

Before Charlee could continue the door bell rang and Carrie's smile widened, "Wanna bet on who that is?"

"Nope, got to go."

Carrie laughed not bothering to move as Charlee fled the room. She really wasn't surprised by Carrie acting this way. She always did when A boy was involved. She just had to remind herself it was just sisterly love. No matter how annoying it really was.

"Finally." John spoke as she opened the door. A smile bit his lips as she rolled her eyes, "Sorry, Carrie was giving me an interrogation about you."

"About me?" John asked surprised as he stepped off the porch.

"Yeah she thinks we are lying about us being just friends."

John laughed, "Well funny you should say that..."

"Are you about to confess your love for me because that could get uncomfortable."

John let out another laugh as they reached his truck, "No, you can rest easy."

"Great, then what is it?"

"So, Halvo has been texting me and what not lately. Well, ever since that party and he kind of wants me and you to go on a date with Jenna and him..."

"And you said?" Charlee asked as she climbed into the truck.

"I said I would have to ask my lovely girlfriend."

The girl chuckled, "Wl Jihnohn; I appreciate that but what is it you want to happen?"

John sighed as he grasped the steering wheel tightly, "I don't know, Char. That's why I'm asking."

"Well after the whole party thing, were you bothered? Like did you find yourself thinking of her again?" Charlee asked as he drove who knows where. Sometimes they just did that. Drove around at night listening to music and talking. It honestly helped him sleep at night.

"No." He answered honestly and she shrugged, "Then let's go."

"You can't look at her like you hate her."

"I never did!"

"Yes you did! You may not realize you did but you bitch eyed her every time she walked by!"

"I did not!" She defended and John chuckled, "I promise you did."

A frown hit Charlee's lips and John glanced over at her with a grin, "You did, but it's ok. I just don't think it will be acceptable to do it when she's sitting in front of you."

"Whatever, I'll be nice. Although I already am."

John chuckled once more before reaching over and squeezing her hand.

"So when is this?" She asked gulping down the lump in her throat. She knew John's notion was a friendly one but he was rarely affectionate without a joke behind it and when he was it took her off guard.

"Uh, well..."

"John..." She said seriously and he looked over at her once he came to a stop at a red light.

"Like, now..."

"Now?! John! What if I had said no?! What then?!"

"I would have told him no. It's really that simple." He stated before focusing back on driving.

"I swear..." She grumbled and he laughed, "Relax."

"Where are we going?"

"No where special so don't freak out because you aren't all dolled up."

"Oh are you saying I look bad?" She questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"No, you never do, but you are dressed like you are just hanging out with me. Even if I would have called and said it would be just me and one of the guys you would look differently. Which means should I be offended since I'm not good enough for your best?" He teased with his usual crooked grin.

"You should be flattered that I'm so comfortable around you John Oh."

He chuckled, "I am! I'm quite fond of the braid." He stated and she felt herself blush before looking out the window. Sometimes she couldn't tell if he was kidding or not.

He patted her knee before placing his hand back on the steering wheel and she couldn't believe that in fact he was right. She did dress differently which was amusing. Like now for instance she was wearing skinny jeans, toms and a band shirt accompanied with a side braid in her hair. Nothing special.

"Really? Just really?!" She asked once they were parked and she realized they were in front of the stupid diner where her sister happened to be working at the moment.

John laughed as they climbed out and she sighed as she met him on the sidewalk.

"My sister is here so that makes it worse."

"Oh you're whole family thinks we have a secret love anyways so why does it matter?" He teased throwing his arm over her shoulders and she rolled her eyes.

"Remember sweet eyes." He joked and she elbowed him, "I honestly can't believe you are acting like this isn't a big deal."

"Yeah, well, you're here so I feel a bit better."

She didn't bother to respond and he lead her inside where she spotted the other two immediately. She really was interested to see how this goes.

"Well it's now or never." He stated sliding his hand to hers and she shot a look at him, "So we have to pretend to like each other?"

"Oh remember you started that, not me, darlin'."

John pulled her to the table allowing her into the booth first.

"Hey guys." Eric spoke happily and John nodded as he slid in beside Charlee. He now was having second thoughts about this once his eyes landed on Jenna.

"Is the diner an ideal date place for you?" Charlee asked Eric and Jenna laughed immediately.

"How do you know I picked it?" Eric challenged with a raised eyebrow and she shrugged, "Well John and I didn't, and she doesn't look this this would be the only place she wants to be."

Jenna chuckled and John couldn't help the grin that was forming on his lips.

"Actually jerk, I picked it because it's near the movie threater and we can walk their afterwards."

"Or he is just cheap." Jenna chimed in.

"Mhm."

Eric glared at both of them causing John to laugh.

"Control your woman." Eric stated and john laughed, "I unfortunately can not do that."

"Yeah I mean let's be real here, I wear the pants in the relationship..."

"Ha!" John stated as he glanced down at her.

"Don't we all?" Jenna asked and Eric threw his hands up, "Why are we getting double teamed?!"

"Because you make it easy." John replied for them and the girls nodded.

"Fine I won't talk anymore."

"Unlikely." Jenna mumbled and Eric shot her a look.

"So, you have to tell us how you two met." Jenna stated changing subject and John tensed up beside her. They didn't plan that out. Lucky for them Charlee was always quick on her feet.

"Ironically we met here. My sister works here."

Eric laughed, "Now I see the resentment!"

"She meets me here and she now hates it. I question our whole relationship."

Charlee playfully hit him on the chest before continuing.

"No, I hate it because they always want to come here!"

"You act like I force you to come here."

"It's that or starve because you never take me anywhere else."

"Bull fucking shit!"

"Really? Really? Ok, where was the last place we went?" She asked glaring at him and he crossed his arms, racking his brain for an answer.

"If you are having to think this hard than it either hasn't happened or it hasn't happened in so long that you can't remember."

"It has." He grumbled and she shrugged, "Whatever makes you feel better."

"Are you two always this lovely together?" Eric asked jokingly and John chuckled, "We usually are. She's sweet like...2% of the time..."

"I'm going to punch you."

"Not helping yourself any, baby." He stated with a smirk and Charlee rolled her eyes. They were too good at pretending that was for sure.

Jenna laughed and before anyone could speak Carly walked up, a smile hitting her lips once she noticed Charlee and John.

"Oh hey guys."

"The sister." Eric stated and Charlee laughed. "Yep. What gave it away?"

"The eyes."

She nodded and Carly began taking their drink orders.

"Not surprised to see you here with him." She smirked before walking away causing Eric and Jenna to laugh and John shot Charlee a look.

"Told you."

Although Carly was trying to embarrass Charlee that actually helped her.

"I give up." John stated and Charlee chuckled, "It's ok." She stated patting his chest. He rolled his eyes before looking back at her. He honestly didn't know why he felt so comfortable right now even with Jenna so close. For some reason Charlee being here just made him feel; ok.

The group ate and before they left the restaurant Carly stopped her sister, pulling her to a halt by her arm and causing John to stop due to Charlee's hand in his.

"I'm so telling Carrie." She stated with a grin and Charlee rolled her eyes. She knew she was referring to the way she was acting with John.

John raised an eyebrow unsure what the conversation was about.

"Whatever." She grumbled, although the thought of dealing with that was already making her cringe.

Carly chuckled before John pulled the girl to the door.

"You owe me so bad." Charlee grumbled once they were outside.

"How so?"

"Carly is telling Carrie."

John chuckled, "Awe our love is going to be official."

"We're about to break up." She whispered as they caught up to the others as they walked to the movie theater.

"Don't say that darlin'."

She shot him a look and he laughed as he pulled her into his side.

"I'm going to vomit if we are seeing some chick flick." Charlee stated as they waited to buy tickets.

John laughed, "You are so not normal. I love it."

"Yo Halvo what the hell are we seeing?" John added as they got closer to the front.

"That new funny movie that is out! Duh!"

John chuckled, "Just wondering."

"Lucky." Charlee grumbled, "because he looks like a romantic comedy guy."

John laughed out loud and Eric looked back at them with a raised eyebrow.

"She's making fun of you."

"Hater!"

Charlee laughed and Jenna rolled her eyes, "I'm so sure."

The group got their tickets and John continued to hold her hand as they walked to the seats they picked out. She was starting to wonder if it would be such a bad thing if they were like this all the time and not just pretending.

She glanced at John who winked in response as he relaxed in his seat. She shook her head before doing the same and crossing her arms.

"From anyone else's perspective it would look like you are annoyed to be around me." He joked and she rolled her eyes.

"Maybe I am. You aren't that fantastic you know?"

He chuckled, "Ouch."

"I mean what do you want me to do to make this seem legit? Grope you in the movie theater?"

A smirk immediately bit his lips, "I mean, if you insist..."

She rolled her eyes and he laughed as he grabbed at her hand, "No, that would just be weird."

"I'm sure you've dated girls like that before O'Callaghan."

"Maybe, but that isn't you now is it?" He asked locking eyes with her and she had to remember they weren't really any thing but friends.

"Unfortunately not."

He grinned before pressing his lips to her hand and looking back at the screen that was now playing previews. The movie distracted her like needed and by the time they were leaving she found herself exhausted. She held onto John simply because of that reason and he seemed to go along with it.

"It's past my girlfriend's bed time." John joked as they headed to their cars.

"Shut up." She grumbled moving away from him and he quickly pulled her back in.

"I'm kidding baby." He said kissing her head that hit his chest.

"Hey now that you have a real girlfriend don't you think it's time you get your own place?" Eric asked and john shrugged, "Possibly."

"Mhm because every girl wants to have sex a wall away from her boyfriend's brother." Jenna stated and Charlee laughed, that thought had not crossed her mind.

"Psh we don't do things like that." John stated and Eric laughed loudly, "Oh, waiting till marriage now John?"

"Yep."

Charlee laughed as they reached John's truck.

"Well it was nice seeing you guys again." Charlee stated and Jenna nodded with a smile, "yeah we need to do this again."

John just nodded and said goodbye to Eric before they climbed in the car.

"So..." She stated once they had began to drive.

"Wasn't bad at all."

"Good I'm glad."

He nodded going back to singing softly to the song on the radio and she began to drift off to sleep.

"Charlee..." John whispered trying to wake her once at his house.

"John go away."

The boy chuckled, "Want to sleep in my truck? It's getting cold, and my bed is pretty comfortable."

She cracked open her eyes and he grinned before holding his hands on for hers.

She sighed placing them in his hand and he pulled her from the truck. He kissed her forehead before shutting the door.

"Almost there." He whispered, holding onto her as he opened the front door. The pair quietly walked up to his bedroom and once inside he closed the door as he watched her kick off her shoes and fall onto the bed.

He laughed, "It's only midnight."

"So what?! I'm old!"

"If you're old then so am I." He stated before doing the same and laying beside her.

"You are."

He chuckled as he laid on his side to face her.

"You staying the night?" He asked just to be sure and she nodded, "Will you get grounded if I do?"

"Go home."

She laughed and he relaxed his head on the pillow.

"Thanks for being my fake girlfriend."

A grin hit Charlee's lips, "You aren't that bad of a boyfriend. I underestimated you."

John laughed, "Well good thing I'm use to being underestimated."

"No, I don't think people underestimate you, John. You underestimate yourself."

John didn't bother to respond just watched her as she cuddled to her pillow and closed her eyes. He reached over, brushing her hair back gently with his fingers. He hated to admit it, but he was starting to enjoy being around her more than he would ever admit. Did he like her? He wasn't sure simply because he didn't know if he could like anyone ever again. It wasn't that he was still in love with Jenna, it was just the fact that he didn't know if he would allow himself to ever like anyone. Not right now anyways, but then again, she was different than anyone he had met before.

John sighed before wrapping his arm around her and pulling her closer. He had plenty of time to figure it out. There was no point in stressing over it right now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Maybe some feelings are arriving. ;)
Next chapter holds some of my favorite moments!

Thanks for commenting;
Recycledsweaters
Everdeen
Chelsea13
Useyourtelescope
:)