Status: I have written a message for readers, I am working on chapters now.

No More Miss Nice Girl

Saturdays

I’ve lived on my own for the majority of my life. Winter took my baby brother, and days later my mother was gone as well. A father never existed in my world.

I remember the morning they came to take my mother and brother’s bodies. The truck comes every Saturday morning to collect corpses from the side of the street, but I had never experienced any of my own loved ones’ departures.

Days before, my poor little brother past away as me and my mother built a meager fire. After my brother’s death, my mother went still. No speaking, no eating, barely breathing. I shook her hard by the shoulders; she didn’t even blink. I remember the feeling of my brother’s stiff little body, cold to the touch and wrapped in gray rags. I had carried him to the curb and laid him down gently.

Three days later, I woke up earlier than usual. I rolled onto my side to check on my mother. Her eyes and mouth were open slightly, alarming me. I had jumped to my feet and tried to wake her. I pressed my ear to her chest, breathing heavily and trying in vain to hear her heart. Silence.

I had crawled to a corner of our shack, pulled my knees to my chest and stared at what used to be my mother. Only the body which used to house the soul of my mother lay in front of me.

A few hours later, I came to my senses and left to get my friend Jude to help carry my mother out to the curb. He had hugged me close and followed me back without a word. I watched as he lifted my mother and carried her solemnly to the curb.

Afterwards, he wrapped a blanket around my shoulders and built a fire. He stayed the night and gave me his body heat, wrapping his arms around me. I tried to fight off sleep, but I eventually gave in.
The next morning, I awoke to the sound of the truck coming to pick up the bodies of my only family. I managed to get outside before Jude caught up and pulled against him. I screamed out for the trucker to leave.

Jude tried to pull me inside, but I saw exactly what he tried to keep me from seeing. The truck’s claw scooped under the bodies of my mother and brother and flipped them into the back with a sickening snap.

My heart was never the same.