Why Am I Such a Misfit?

Chapter 2

10 years have past, and that little girl who used to sit in front of the TV and watch Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer on repeat has now grown up. But yet, after all these years and all the changes that she has gone threw, she still feels like a misfit.

She now is at the University of Raleigh, North Carolina studing sports medicine. She ahs made a few friends over the years. But she had never felt comfortable around others.

That is until she met a player from the Carolina Hurricanes named Eric Staal. She met Eric when he was just drafted to the team in 2003 while she was interning with the medic at the arena. They immediately hit it off and became close friends. Eric was one of the only ones that Holly felt comfortable around, someone who she could be herself around.

A year after meeting, Eric decided that it would be a good idea to ask Holly out on a date. But she didn’t see it that way.

“Hey Holly,” Eric greeted as he met Holly in the coffee shop just doen the block from her apartment.

Holly smiled at him and stood up pulling Eric into a hug before sitting down. “Hey, I already ordered for you.”

Eric smiled back and sat down and started to drink his coffee. They made casual conversation, and as they talked Eric couldn’t help but take in Holly’s beauty. He placed his cup down on the table and cleared his throat, stopping Holly in mid-sentence.

“What is it Eric? Are you feeling okay?” Holly questioned with concern in her eyes, fearing that Eric was getting sick.

Eric laughed and shook his head, “Yeah I’m fine. I just wanted to ask you something,” he responded nervously.

“What is it?” Holly asked him as she cocked her head to the side a little.

Eric sighed and rubbed his sweaty palms on his jeans. “I was wondering if… maybe.. you would like to go out on a date with me?” He asked her nervously as he looked into her eyes.

Holly’s eyes widened in shock and she all the air in her lungs left her. She could not belief what she just heard. There is no way that a guy like Eric would have feelings for someone like her. She was too much of a misfit and he was just… perfect.

She shook her head quickly and stood up. “I-I got to go.” She replied hastenly as she quickly made her way out of the shop and away from Eric as fast as her legs would take her, ignoring Eric’s calls for her.

~FF: 1 week~
Holly sat alone on the pier just watching the waves roll in and out. She hadn’t spoken to Eric in a week and she missed him terribly. She knew that she had feelings for Eric, hell she was pretty sure that she loved him. But she just could not see what Eric sees in her.

She let out a sigh and looked down at her hands that rested in her lap as she heard footsteps approach.

“I thought that I might find you here,” a familiar masculine voice sounded from behind her.

Holly gasped and jumped to her feet and turned to face Eric, who stood behind her with a sad look in his eyes and his hands shoved in his pockets. “Eric…”

“Look I know that you are mad at me…” He started but I cut him off.

“Mad at you? Eric I am not mad at you,” I told him calmly.

“Your not?” He asked me with a confused look in his eyes. “Then why have you been avoiding me for the past week?”

I sighed as I looked into his eyes and could see the pain that laid there. That was when she decided to tell him the truth. “I have been avoiding you because I am scared.” I held up my hand when he started to speak, “let me finish.” He nodded his head and I continued. “Growing up, I’ve have always felt like I didn’t fit in, like I was a misfit. When you asked me out, I wanted to say yes. I just don’t understand one thing,” I explained solemnly.

“And what is that?” Eric asked and he moved so that he was standing in front of me.

I looked into his eyes and bit my lip,” why me? Why do you like me?”

Eric smiled softly and placed one of his hands under my chin and made me look into his eyes. “Holly you are the prettiest, smartest, sweetest, most loyal and kind and down to earth girl that I have ever met. From the moment that I met you I have felt this pull to you. All I ask is that you give me one chance to show you that you belong with me. He told me and I could see the sincerity in his eyes.

I smiled at him slightly and took a deep breath, “Okay.”

“Okay?” Eric looked at her shocked but with a bright smile on his face. I nodded my head and he swept me up into his arms.

“Just promise me one thing,” I told him as I wrapped my arms around his neck and his went around my waist.

“Anything.”

“Just promise to not make me feel like a misfit.”

Eric smiled, “I promise.” He muttered before he lowered his lips to mine.