Status: Completed

On the Bright Side

Chapter 1

I sat in the middle of my bedroom floor, head in my hands, and knees curled up to my chest. Simply pondering life, deep in thought. The average stoner, right? I slowly reached my hand out, grabbing the burning joint off of the ashtray that was in front of me. I brought it to my lips, inhaling the smoke, smiling slightly as the smoke burned my throat. I threw my head back, allowing my hand to drop down and wrap around my knees once more. Staring at the ceiling, I let a grin creep on my lips. Four tiny paws walked over my feet. I looked down, grinning wider when Drew, my kitten, plopped down, curling into a tiny, fluffy ball on my tattooed feet. It was pure bliss; the feeling of being lighter than a feather. I brought the joint to my lips again, inhaling the smoke, and blowing smoke rings as I exhaled. The joint was no longer than a centimeter now, so I put it out in the ashtray, flicking the remains into a trash bin. I picked up the warm, fluffy ball of fur that slept on my feet and brought him up to my chest. Stroking his head with my thumb, I got up to my feet, only to sit back down into a chair moments later. I leaned back into the chair and threw my head back, closing my eyes, still petting Drew. He purred and closed his eyes, leaning into my chest falling asleep once again.

"Hayden, have you seen my-" My mother walked into the room, stopping mid sentence at the sight before her.

"Mom?" I questioned sitting up, struggling to see her through the screen of smoke.

"Living room. Now." She ordered.

I got up slowly, setting Drew down on the floor, and sauntered out of my room. I lazily made my way into the living room, sitting criss-cross-applesauce on the suede couch. She paced in the living room, her high heels clicking against the hardwood floor. Her face looked solemn, though I could tell she was pissed.

"What have I told you about smoking in the house?" She finally spoke turning to face me.

"No smoking in the house under any circumstances. If you're going to smoke take it outside." I recited keeping my eyes cast down.

"Exactly!" She shouted. "I have important people from work coming over for dinner this evening and now the house will smell like marijuana. They won't respect me. They might even fire me! You idiot! Why the hell would you smoke inside!? You are 18 years old, you know the rules. I shouldn't have to tell you. God Hayden! " She fumed.

I shrugged and looked up at her. Her face was red, and her eyes were wide. This must have been really important to her. I felt terrible, but I couldn't help my following actions. I began to giggle. I began to giggle uncontrollably. She rolled her eyes at me and mumbled insults as she stomped back into her room. I clutched my stomach from giggling so hard. It wasn't until minutes later that I could get myself under control.

I owed it to my mom to at least try to rid the smell of marijuana from the house. Opening the windows letting fresh air into the house, I breathed in the scent. It didn't smell like a forest, or like the ocean, it just smelled like air. I frowned slightly and turned to retreat back to my room. My mother stood in front of my door.

"Hayden," She began. "I'm sorry for yelling at you earlier and I'm sorry for what I'm about to say, but this is important. Can you leave the house for a little while? Just while the people from work are here?" She said as more of a statement than a question.

"Is Hannah staying?" I questioned.

"Yes." She said averting her eyes from mine.

"Text me when I can come home." I shrugged indifferently. My mom turned away from me and began to walk back to the kitchen. "Oh and Marina?" She whipped her head around, looking at me. I reached my hand in my pocket and fished out a joint. I walked over to her and placed it in her hand. "You might need this."

I stepped into my room slipping on a sweatshirt and worn out chucks. I swiped my phone and wallet from the bed side table and made my way out the double doors at the back of my room that led to the backyard. I dramatically swung them open and jumped outside into the cool august evening air. Drew mewed at me from his place on the rug. I shook my head at him and shut the two doors, leaving them unlocked.