Hearts of Deception

Serena

Seven days had passed since Serena and Jason decided to explore a romantic relationship. They slept together, showered together and everything else couples did when they lived together. Even so, the two lovebirds were also keeping secrets from the other, only Jason was not doing as well of a job of it as Serena was.

She knew he was going to see Avalar every day before and after his shift but she decided to chalk it up to him wanting to see his son. She didn’t really care though because she was keeping a bigger secret from him.

It was another Sunday like any other and Jason normally had that day off but he had been called in to make up for the half day he did a week ago. Serena had questioned him about it before he left, wanting to know when he would be coming back before finally letting him leave. She took no time to pick up the phone after the door clicked and Jason was out of the driveway.

Not even twenty minutes had passed before Don was at the door. While Jason had been trying to get a hold of Avalar, Serena had been getting into Don Lothario, longer than a week.

“So tell me again why you want to be with this guy. He sounds like a lost puppy who doesn’t know what he wants,” Don casually said as he stroked Serena’s arm lovingly. They had just finished their scorching escapade and were in no hurry to get dressed. Jason wouldn’t be home for another three hours.

Serena sighed as she started to cress his bicep. “I just want to see where things could go with us. At least I thought I did.”

“Yeah this doesn’t seem like a good start to a successful, happy relationship.”

“Well if he wasn’t running to her every day, things would be different.”

“Oh, would they now?” Don raised an eyebrow and turned his head downward to look at her as she looked up to meet his gaze. “Are you saying you’re only in bed with me because of his actions?

Because the last time I checked, we’ve been doing this long before he came crawling back, you didn’t seem to care that he left when he did.”

“I did care, but after we talked and you made me realize he wasn’t worth it, I got over him. But like I had told you before, he kept coming back day after day wanting me to give him chance.”

“Yeah, even going as far as to knock that chick up.”

“I feel bad for her. Now Jason’s harassing her.”

“Which brings back my unanswered question,” another raised eyebrow.

“I don’t know. I really don’t.”

“Hm, well I don’t feel bad for us doing this. He doesn’t seem to care about his relationship with you or her so I’m not going to feel bad for being with you.”

Serena smiled and kissed his chest. “Thank you.”

Jason returned home later that night as Serena was putting away the dishes. “There you are!” She said as she dried her hands and accepted his kiss.

“Sorry, another late night.”

Serena shrugged. “No big deal. I made you dinner.” She smiled and gestured to the oven.

“Thanks, but I already ate.”

That didn’t surprise her. She was sure he didn’t eat with Avalar, but harassing the mother of your child could be tiresome. Not that she cared anyways.

“Did you make desert?” She shook her head and then gasped as a hand cupped her bottom. “Are you sure?”

Serena looked up at him as she started to blush. “You didn’t get desert at the restaurant?”

Jason shook his head and smirked. “No, their sweet buns aren’t as good as yours.” He kissed her softly before lifting her so she could wrap herself around him as he carried her to their bedroom.

Jason was not sure of his feelings, that much was clear. Nevertheless, Serena was sure of her’s and she had a feeling she knew Jason’s feelings.

As the weeks passed, their routine deception had become the norm until Jason had finally started to come home after work. He didn’t say anything about it but it had to with Avalar. Jason had become quiet and reserved and their sex sessions had become little to none though it was no problem to Serena, she didn’t seem to care or notice, as she had become focus on something else.

“And you’re sure it has to do with Avalar?” Don asked as he took a sip of his beer.

Serena nodded and she took a seat across from him. “He won’t talk about it. I started to notice it three weeks ago, he would come home angry and then last week he just looked miserable. Maybe she left Pleasantview.”

“Maybe. So what are you going to do? With the relationship I mean.”

She shrugged casually and stirred her tea. “I don’t know. I’m not too focused on the situation.”

“Is everything okay with you?”

She nodded but said nothing else. She couldn’t tell him. If it came back that she was or wasn’t, then she would get the next test to see if it was his or Jason’s.”

Later that evening, as she watched TV, Jason came in in a huff. Serena looked up at him with a raised eyebrow as he started toward her and keeled down.

“Are you okay?”

Jason nodded and took a small box out of his pocket before pulling off his coat. He held up the little box, opened it and Serena let out a gasp. “Jason?”

“Serena,” he panted. “Serena, will you,” another pant. “Will you marry me?”