Hearts of Deception

Luna

Spring was ending and summer would soon take over once again. It was the best time to buy a house in Pleasantview. Luna Sanders stood outside of the two-story brick structure and looked on in awe. She had finally completed the optional walkthrough and had decided to jump on the offer.

Items upon items of furniture were being carried into the house as surrounding neighbors started to take notice and made their way over to introduce themselves and to resume old conversations with familiar faces. Luna was finally wrapping up a twenty-minute conversation with the chatty-Cathy Brandi Broke when a still figure from her peripheral vision caught her eye.

Still wanting to be polite, Luna smiled at Brandi and continued to nod even though she was sure the talkative woman was really talking at her rather than to her about her rebellious teenage son and missing husband who she still believes to be alive.

The figure in her side vision couldn’t seem to wait any longer and started to walk over in her direction. Luna could smell his high dollar cologne the close he got and when his physical presence became clear, Brandi soon turned her attention to him.

“Darren! Long time no see. Where have you been the past few weeks? Everyone’s been asking about you. You know you really need to get out and meet someone. I need a vacation myself…”

Not even a courtesy nod her way, Darren continued to stare at Luna and she couldn’t help but return his gaze. Brandi’s words started to sound muffled and everything and everyone around them started to fade as if they were the only two people in the neighborhood.

A light blush whispered across Luna’s face, as she was the first to break their mutual eye contact. Darren smiled and slightly shook his hand before extending his hand to her. “Hi, I’m Darren Dreamer.”

Luna looked him right in the face again with a small smile, took his hand, and said, “I’m Luna. Luna Sanders.”

He smiled back, still holding her a hand. “What made you decide to come to Pleasantview? Hardly anything interesting happens here.”
Luna gave a small shrug. “That’s exactly why I moved here, it’s quiet.”

Darren nodded in understanding and looked at the two-story structure. “It’s a nice house. Big too. I’m sure you and your boyfriend will be very happy here.”

“No boyfriend. It’s just me.” Luna said as she shook her head. “What about you? Girlfriend? Wife perhaps?”

“No, no I’m widowed.”

Somewhere in the exchange, their handshake turned into a handhold and either subconsciously or knowingly, it started to slightly swing back fourth. Darren started to say something but then closed his mouth, unable to get the words out.

Luna looked away still with a smile on her face. She glanced down at their intertwined hands and the words started to flow. “Would you like to go out sometime?”

“Yes. Tomorrow at seven?” Hesitation was nowhere in sight. He wanted to ask it and she asked for him. It was like for a brief moment, she knew what he was thinking. Or maybe they were thinking the same thing.

Suddenly, as though out of nowhere, a somewhat high-pitched threw the two back into reality and they suddenly remembered where they were. “A date? That’s perfect Darren! I’ve been telling you to get out and meet someone. You know we need to catch up one of these days. I can’t deal with Justin and his rebellious ways! Hey! Do you think he can hang out with Dirk? Maybe he can straighten him out?”

Ever oblivious to their blank stares and equally not caring to get an actual answer, Brandi continued to ramble before ending it with an “I’ll tell Justin to see him after school. Can they hand out at your place? I don’t need him to further influence Beau; I’ve got enough to deal with trying to potty train him.” She then walked off, pulling out her phone in the process presumably to call her son.

Luna and Darren shook their hands at the same time and looked on at each other with bigger smiles.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have a picture of Luna I will upload soon.
Serena and Jason's arc is not ending, I'm finally now introducing other new characters into the mix. They will return soon.