Hearts of Deception

Jason

Living with a stranger was always the scariest part when it came to renting. But Jason had no choice if he wanted move to Pleasantview. He met Serena in a local coffee shop two months before moving. How lucky was he that this young, beautiful girl was also looking for a roommate so she could move to the ever so fancy neighborhood that was Pleasantview.

Mid length, wavy, dark brown hair, and gorgeous brown eyes like his, Jason was sure the arrangement would work out nicely. However, not even a month into the move and already problems were building. The house was a rental and luckily, there was no financial problem, just a clash of personalities.

While he was not a slob, Jason was never one to nitpick at cleanliness. However, Serena had her way of doing things and was set on doing it her way only. This, however, did not deter Jason from his original hope, as Serena did know how to fun when she wanted to on a rare occasion. But she didn't seem interested in Jason at all.

“Will you know it off already?”

“Can’t you lighten up for once and just take a joke?”

“That wasn't just a joke that was a dirty joke!”

Jason looked taken aback and shook his head before sighing. “Are you always this modest?”

“Are you always this perverted?” Serena crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes at him. Jason only replied with a shrug of a shoulder before heading over to the couch.

Before anything else could be said the phone went off and so did Jason, but Serena had already answered the call. “It’s not for you so give it here,” Jason put out his hand with narrowed eyes.

“How would you know? You’re not the only one whose been socializing you know.”

“I just know. Hand it over.”

After a one minute staring contest, Serena huffed in annoyance and shoved the phone at him before stomping off.

“Avalar?” Jason asked in a hopeful tone.

“I’m sorry, is this a bad time? I didn't mean to-“

“She isn't my girlfriend!” Perhaps a bit too quickly, but he did not want her to get the wrong idea and think he was a player. He wasn't, he just wanted to have fun.

There was just a brief pause for a moment, but it was long enough to make Jason question if he had said the wrong thing. Maybe he did answer too quickly and maybe she did think the worse of him. When she didn't say anything, he stuttered for a moment before being cut off.

“Do you want to go on a date tomorrow?”

It was his turn to pause, but it wasn't as long as the first. He didn't want to come off as eager, but at the same time he didn't want her to doubt his interest so he feigned nonchalance. “Sure. Can we move it up to tonight instead?”

“T-tonight? Yes! I mean, sure.”

Jason chuckled and hung up. He should have been surprised by what he saw when he turned around, but he wasn't. She stood there with a pissed off expression, arms still folded. She was not happy and while he couldn't care less that she was obviously eavesdropping, he was confused and a little pissed off himself when he saw her expression.

With a huff of annoyance, he mimicked her pose, folded his arms, and raised an eyebrow. “What?”

“You sure do move fast.”

“Well we all can’t be lukewarm like you.”

“So because you can’t have me, you move onto her?”

What was that? Was that some kind of a confession? Was she admitting that she was interested? Jason had to take a moment to process this before giving her an answer. However, why should he? Did she even deserve an answer? He made it clear before they moved in that he was interested. If she was interested and wanted to take things slow, why had she not said anything?

Women-they needed their own coder.

Instead of gracing her with an answer, he decided to disgrace her with a question. “What are you saying? That if I tried more, you would have given in and gave us a chance?”

It didn't have the desired result he was looking for. Apparently, his actions put a new image of him in her mind. It didn't matter if he couldn't have her, she wasn't the only girl on the planet and he wasn't ready for a commitment. He would charm them with words, take what he wanted and then cast them off when he was finished. He was no different from her ex.

Stepping back and unfolding her arms, she shook her head and let out a villainous laugh. “That poor girl, she has no idea what she is getting into.”

There was nothing to say to that. Avalar really didn't know what his intentions were, but at the same time he didn't know what she wanted out of this either. Did she want a commitment? Was she just a lonely girl looking for love with the first person that came along? He should end it now; stop it before anything actually happens. He could cancel the date and cut off contact now.

He wasn't a terrible person. Sure, he wanted his fun and he would take it where he could get it, but not at the expense of someone’s frailness and Avalar was definitely fragile. It was almost certain this would end badly and yet he couldn't do it.

There was something about her persona. Almost like she wasn't as naive or as gullible as she came off. However, he would never know if he didn't see it through. He had to go on this date. He had to continue to see her and figure her out.

It was an instinct he couldn't ignore.