Hearts of Deception

Avalar

To say the past two weeks were marvelous would be an overstatement. Avalar and Jason wasted no time moving him in and it took even less of a time hitting the sheets. While the first two days were nothing short of amazing, the rest of the week and the week following was just a sneak peak of what was to come.
Jason seemed to be on edge. He was always eager to answer the phone whenever it ringed and somewhere in Avalar’s mind, she knew he was hoping Serena would call. Jason had called her once but she never picked up and after Jason had come back from work, he was shower and would quickly leave afterwards. Avalar knew he wasn’t cheating, not yet anyways because he always came back in such a defeated state. At that point, all Avalar was good for was cooking and sex and if she were ever bothered by the fact, she never let on about it. Her mind was somewhere else.

Thursday rolled around and it was now Avalar’s turn to wait for a particular phone call. But when the phone ringed, she was nothing short of surprised by the caller.

“What do you want Darren?”

“Wow, someone’s in a foul mood. I just wanted to see if you wanted to hang out today. Maybe I can come over?”

When Avalar first moved in, Darren had been one of the first visitors to welcome her to the neighborhood, but he quickly seemed bothered and annoyed with her when she started to call him. Avalar later realized she must have come on too strong but even with her realization and trying to fix it and just be friendly, Darren still wanted nothing to do with her and he was never nice or gentle when turning down her offers to hang out or simply chat. Now he was calling her wanting to hang out?

Avalar let out a chuckle and shook her head.

“What? What’s so funny?”

She closed her eyes, smiling to herself. “Are you serious?”

“Yeah, I’m serious. You stopped calling and I was wondering why.”

Avalar was speechless. Was Darren clueless or was he just stupid? Anger started to rise inside Avalar and she had to put the phone down as she started pacing the room. He was wondering why she stopped calling? Did he have more insults he wanted to dish out? Did he like the attention she was giving him even though he was turning her down and being rude while at it? What was he playing at?

“Hello?”

She picked up the phone again, still trying to compose herself and ring in her anger. “You really want me to answer that question? Why I stopped calling?”

“Look, I know I was mean to you and I apologize, but you came on too strong and I was not interested in you like that.”

“And you think that is a good enough reason to be an ass? You couldn’t have simply said ‘I’m not interested in you.’ You had to go out of your way to make insults and such outlandish excuses as to why you couldn’t come over or even talk to me. And even when I figured it out, no thanks to you by the way, I still tried to be friendly and you were still a jerk!”

“Avalar I-“

“I don’t want to hear what you have to say!”

“Is it true Jason Taylor moved in with you?”

“In what way is that any of your business?”

“It’s just I’m surprised. You moved on rather quickly didn’t you?”
Avalar couldn’t hold back anymore. She doubled over and busted into laughter. “How cliche. I stop calling you after getting the hint you weren’t interested in me and moved on and you’re insulting me for doing so?”

“I just wasn’t ready, okay?”

“No, not okay. Not the way you went about dropping crude hints and excuses. Open your fucking mouth and be a man about it!”
“Avalar please, I-“

“Goodbye, Darren!” She disconnected the call and shook her head. It was something she only ever saw in the movies. Never would she have thought he would call wondering why she never called him or to actually give them a chance. If he had been honest and straightforward from the beginning, maybe things would have been different. However, he was only interested in her now because she was no long single. Home wrecker.

Avalar mentally cheered at her small victory. Such a victory was nothing compared to the bigger problem she possibly faced. While Jason had been preoccupied with all things Serena, Avalar had been preoccupied herself with what was happening to her body. She suspected it happened the very first night because she was due a week ago. She went to the doctor, took a test, and she’d been waiting ever since.

A family with Jason would be perfect. It would have been perfect. However, Avalar knew he was using her to make Serena jealous. He moved in with her and had been waiting for a phone call ever since. There had been some mornings where he would leave early just to pay her a visit before heading off to work. He wasn’t even trying to hide it anymore and he would use Avalar in any way possible to make a point to Serena that she had feelings for him.

No, there was no doubt, no question about his motives.
Nevertheless, Avalar had often questioned herself. If she were indeed pregnant, would she let Jason continue to use her, or the baby? The line had to be drawn somewhere.

Avalar jumped when the phone ringed again. She took a deep breath, hoping this time it was the doctor and not some other person she once tried to put he moves on. She did not need another call like that. She picked it up on the third ring and fumbled with the hem of her shirt.
“Hello?”

“Avalar Jordan?”

“This is she.”

“The results to your pregnancy test came in. Congratulations, you’re pregnant.”