Hearts of Deception

Avalar

It wasn’t a blur. The next eight and half months came in a flash, but Avalar remembered every waking moment where Jason spent his free time elsewhere. While he was genuinely ecstatic about being a father, she couldn’t help but feel like he would rather Serena be the mother. The minute he found out, she was pregnant with his baby; Jason conveniently had a call to make, no doubt to Serena about the news.

Jason continued to work while Avalar stayed at home and continue to unpack. After the news about the baby, they both decided it was best to move, as Avalar’s home was too small. So small to the point her TV and couch were on the balcony upstairs.

They moved into a two bedroom, one story apartment. From left to right you had the kitchen, living room, the first bedroom, the only bathroom and finally the last bedroom. They had brought everything the baby would need in yellow because they weren’t sure of the gender. Avalar didn’t care what she was having as she her thoughts were always stuck on Jason and Serena. Avalar never talked to the woman and it didn’t seem to be her place to either. Jason was chasing her so what would be the point in telling her to back off when she was fighting him off?

She had to have been fighting him off. Jason always came back uneasy, annoyed, or defeated. She assumed his uneasiness possibly meant Serena was with another man. She couldn’t imagine her saying something to him that would put him on edge for the rest of the night. However, she did give him props for his persistence, nine months of trying to win her over unsuccessfully and he still hadn’t given up.

Avalar sighed to herself as she put away the book she was reading. She decided three months ago to learn about cooking and all the reading had paid off. She now knew how to make pork chops and salmon. She didn’t know what to do about Jason. She never confronted him about his blatant and obvious feelings for the other woman.

Avalar was starting to wonder if she wanted this baby at all. What was the point? Even though Jason had admitted on their first date that he wanted a family, he clearly did not want it with her and bringing a baby into a messed up relationship such as theirs would only serve to make matters worse.

Nevertheless, it was too late to terminate. Avalar was appealed at herself that she even considered the option. Just because Jason didn’t seem to care about the baby, doesn’t mean she should end her pregnancy. However, being a single mom was something she never wanted for herself or her child.

There was only one other thing to do.

There was a click at the door and Avalar froze for a little while, but quickly composed herself and ignored Jason. He didn’t seem to care or notice. He greeted her and did not wait for a reply as he made his way to the bathroom.

Avalar sat at the table alone as she dug into her meal. Despite her obvious large belly, she and Jason were still having sex. She knew it was a mixture of a fetish but more so because Serena was fighting off his advances. At one point she even suggested to him to go to a strip club, she wouldn’t care. Oddly, Jason took offense to that and shouted at her that he wasn’t cheating. He had the gall to question the father of the baby. Moreover, even still they had sex that night.

After her meal, Avalar did a little more reading before finally going to bed. Jason had turned in, an hour before. They slept with their backs facing each other. Finally an actual night’s rest.

...

The first wave of pain was nothing compared to being struck by lighting and most say giving birth is the equivalent to being burnt alive. However, whatever the feeling, the contractions came. Avalar had gone into labor a week later, but Jason had already gone to work. She managed to get to a phone and called the hospital, which sent the necessary staff over. By then, they had to go ahead with a home delivery.

Avalar was brave and followed each instruction that was voiced to her and after five and a half hours of a painful labor, she’d finally, and successfully, gave birth to a baby boy, whom she named Julian. Since she had Jason weren’t married, she gave the baby her last name.

The staff reminded at the residence until Jason returned home, by then, Avalar had fallen asleep and so did the baby. Not bothering to ask or check on Avalar himself, Jason went into the baby’s room and picked him up. He held and cuddled the baby for five minutes at the most before heading straight to the phone once again.