Hearts of Deception

Avalar

Jason left the next day without a word to Avalar who woke up at the sound of the door closing. She took the chance to get a change of clothes and headed for the bathroom before Julian woke up for the day.

For the past few weeks, child protective services had been contact and Avalar could not understand how they even knew. Avalar had gone into a depressed state of some sort where she seemed to have forgotten about the baby. In truth, she never wanted the baby to begin with. Having a baby was the one fear she had and Jason had made it come true. Now there was another baby on the way? There was no way she could take care of another human being when she was stressed out of her mind about her failing relationship to a man that had come to hate her because he couldn’t have another.

From the time she woke up until one, Avalar had paced the room, ignoring Julian’s little moans. He was up and did not want to be in his crib any longer, but Avalar was too fidgety to hold him now.

She stopped and stared out the window when she saw two cars pull up. One woman stepped out, holding a child while another looked at her confused. She walked to the woman with the child and they chatted for a bit. Then the woman with the child put him back in the car and drove off.

Avalar knew what that meant. She knew who the stranger was. The doorbell rang and Avalar stood there, frozen where she was, not sure what to do. Jason would be furious with her to find out the baby had been taken by the state, but there was no way around the situation.

The doorbell sounded again and Avalar found her legs and started towards the door. She turned the knob slowly and stuck her head outside.

“Avalar Jordan?”

She nodded. “What can I do for you?”

“I think you know why I’m here. I would like to see the baby and the condition of the house.”

Avalar nodded again and stepped back, opening the door further. The woman stepped inside and seemed taken aback by what she saw. Avalar didn’t really notice and just pointed to Julian’s room. “He’s in there.”

They both walked into the baby’s room and she continued to look around before her eyes landed on Julian. She turned to Avalar as if to be asking her if she could pick him up. Avalar nodded and continued to stand by the door.

The woman looked at Julian and checked him for bruises or any sign of abuse. When she was finished, she put him back in his crib and mentioned for Avalar to step aside, but follow her. They went over to the couch and sat, but Avalar continued to be distant.

“Well this is very shocking to be honest with you. It’s not every day we get a case where the home is in perfect condition and the baby is actually okay. We looked over your financial records and saw that you’re not struggling with money either. So why don’t you explain what’s going on. Why are you not taking care of your son when you have the means to do it?”

Avalar looked away as she struggled to steady her breathing. Tears threatened to break free as she started to rub her eyes. “I’m sorry. I just….I just can’t-“

The woman reached out and touched Avalar hand as she brought it down to her lap. “Avalar, are you suffering from depression? You we have programs and counselors that can help you, with whatever you’re going through.”

She shook her head and stood up. “No, no that isn’t necessary. I’m fine. I don’t need any help. I’m not neglecting my baby, he’s well fed, and his diapers are changed when they need to be. I don’t know who called you, but whoever did give you the wrong information or at least the wrong family.” She waved her off as she walked to the door.

The woman stood up and nodded as Avalar waited for her to leave. “I understand you don’t want to talk about it, but it looks like you need to. You’re right. Your baby is fine and there is no real danger present, but it is clear you are under a great deal of stress and it is affecting your parenting in some way.”

Avalar stayed silent as she took a loud breath and moved her head in a get-on-with-it kind of way. The woman nodded and walked over to her, holding out a card. “If you ever need to talk to one our staff members, please don’t hesitate to call.”

Avalar quickly took it and glanced at the outside world. With another nod, the woman took her leave and Avalar was quick to close the door.

The evening was no different from any other. Jason was late coming home and Julian was asleep. After moping around the house, most of the day and reading cook books, Avalar decided to take a well needed soak.

Sometime during her bath, she heard the door open. It had to be Jason and it sounded like he wasn’t alone. She stopped all movement and listened as Jason and the not so mystery person conversed. Was that Serena? The voice was that of a female and from the sounds of the conversation, it had to be Serena.

“I’m glad you gave me another chance.”

“Another? Jason I never gave you a first chance and….I’m sorry about that.”

“No, Serena. It was my fault for saying what I said to you. I love you and I want to see where this is going to take us.”

Avalar stepped out of the shower and tied a robe around her body. She wasn’t going to stay in the bathroom while they occupied the living room and Jason never did make the effort to hide his attempt to see Serena a secret.

The voices on the other side had gotten quiet and as Avalar took a quiet breath, she gripped the knob and slowly turned it. She peaked out a bit before fully opening the door and was greeted by something she suspected, but never wanted to see.