Woman

At the Jaws of Something New

"Don't be insensitive Theodore," Elsa says. " Don't worry Mia, you don't have to push yourself."

"Just hear me out. It's been two years. Mia, you've got your son to think about. Me and Elsa, we'll always be here for you, but Arthur, he needs a father and this is a good chance for you." Theo leans forward from his spot across the room.

The blues and greens of the room swim around my eyes. Arthur's distant adventure tale chatters and echos across the house and into the room. Matilda must be getting herself an earful.

I glance out the window, twisting the end of my braid as my hand rests in my lap. The blazing sunset sun strikes my eyes as I sneak a glance at the summer world. I squint away, my eyes almost burning as I take in my friends' watchful gazes.

"Listen. Mia, you don't have to marry anyone, no one will force you. I think what Theo is trying to say is that you should look into getting married one day. This might just be a good time to start looking into it darling." Elsa swoops across the room and slips her arms around me.

I take a breath and snap a Michael-like grin on my face.

"I understand, you two want the best for me. That's what friends are for." Theo gives me a look, seeing his own expression on my face.

"Come on Mia!" Theo throws his hands on his face and drags them down dramatically.

I laugh at his annoyance at my attempt to evade the situation.

"Mia, come now, we want the best for you. Don't try to hide behind those manly expressions." Elsa says and leans her head on my shoulder.

I shrug her off as her stare becomes intense.

"Elsa, now you two are becoming too expressive, so what am I supposed to do?"

"Take in our nice advice mi'lady, and in that you surely will find a cure." Theo declares.

"And by chance his cure involves a very handsome sir." Elsa pulls my ear close and whispers.

"Elsa dear, you aren't saying anything precarious are you?" Theo says raising an eyebrow and leaning back into the couch.

"Oh, my love, I am saying nothing of consequence." Elsa winks at me.

I roll my eyes.

"I'm not entirely enthralled by his look..." I glance at Elsa and she grins mischievously. "But, Alexander is decent."

I bit my lip to hide a blush. The sun streaks orange and pink as the light blue sky fades away into night.

"Well." Theo coughs, his face turning a few shades of red.

Elsa laughs and Theo coughs again to glance out the entrance way.

"What you need to do darling, is consider Alexander's proposal." Elsa says.

Arthur's soft footsteps come close to the room with Matilda's hurried taps behind.

"Come now Arthur, Mama is talking. Let's go have some cookies." Matilda says and swoops my baby into her arms.

"Mama, I want you to have cookies too! It's yummy Mama." Arthur, all two feet of him, in his four year old state, looks quite old in Matilda's arms. She can hold him up, but it seems if he gets any taller she won't be able to.

His straight brown hair and his sparkling eyes make him look like a young man, but his cheeks and his fading baby belly make him look like a toddler still.

My adventurous little boy. Always out and about and in the mood for a good story. Always calling me, making me feel loved. I let my world be for him, but he wants it to be ours.

"Go have a cookie Arthur, I'll come when I'm done talking, okay?" I say knowing Elsa wants a result now, not later.

"Oh...kay." Arthur mumbles.

I grin and wave as Matilda settles him on her hip and sways to the kitchen.

I sigh lightly.

Theo glances longingly at the kitchen.

"Theo, go have a snack, you must be hungry." Elsa says.

"Mmm, I think I will. " Theo stands, his blue shirt and brown pants that have been ironed to a crisp shape are only slightly shuffled as he stands from the couch. His broad tall frame towers over us as he rolls up his sleeves and strides to the kitchen. Elsa stares after him.

I nudge her.

"So shameless, checking his looks out all the time." I say.

Elsa burns red.

"Oh, don't say that!" She glances into her hands.

The light blue of her dress, that conveniently matches Theo, looks almost white as the last rays of sun sweep across the earth and into the room.

"It's not that I don't see what you're saying, it's just...something doesn't feel right." I breathe out at last.

"Come now Mia, not everyone is like Mike. You have to live your life for two now, Arthur needs a father. Being married will do you good. Look at Theo and I, we've become quite changed by marriage. I gained a confidence that you can't quite get from anywhere else."

Confidence? Is that something that I lack? I glance into Elsa's determined blue eyes.

"Alright, I will meet him once more," I point at Elsa's nose. "And if I'm not convinced, that's the end of it."

"Yes!" Elsa weakly attempts to squish me into a death grip and I laugh.

As the breath of my laughter drops I think. Am I meant to be married, or am I teetering on a cliff in full view of the jaws of some new terror?

"Now that this is settled, let us have some cookies." I pull out of her arms easily and stand up to keep my promise.

Without anyone watching we race to the kitchen with our dresses waving behind us.
♠ ♠ ♠
THOUGHTS? Thoughts? thoughts?

(thoughts?)

Thank you for Reading!