Woman

Cough

Arthur is running from Alexander.

Alexander has been attempting to get his favour and treat him to some laughs, but Arthur is really not interested.

I am standing next to a cart selling watermelon bowls and other snacks. I bought a bag of popped corn, but that was after Arthur decided he really did not like playing with Alexander. It is a nice snack though. Although I always dreamed of that spun cotton treat I heard other girls in school having at the fair and carnivals they attended.

Really, I understand the poor boy's plight. Alexander has been pushing himself to be amiable and almost dropped him into the lion pit when the trainer had the vicious cat leaping through obstacles and I caught him in time and the trainer quickly redirected the lion as I swooped my son up and leaned back from the fence once again.

Alexander was red and apologizing for a good ten minutes when I forced him to stop and find some refreshments for us. I got popped corn and Arthur refused to have anything but spun candy. Admittedly that fantasy treat was inspired by me. So he and I are quite looking forward to it. I heard they spin it together like cotton on a wheel.

I see Mrs. Robest wave to me from beside the Exotic Spices stall and her troop of young children excitedly whisper among themselves and point at the chilies. They begin tugging her dress and she hands them a few coins to have their joys.

Arthur, on the other hand, has some prime talent. I spot him running and hiding behind several couples and families as Alexander stalks him through the crowds. I'm not worried that Arthur will be lost as the fair grounds are sealed for good measure. Too often children would go missing in earlier years only to be found hours or even a day later.

Society has been coming to its senses lately.

I look to the girl selling snacks and she hands a watermelon bowl to a man with curls to his ears and bright hazel eyes. Perhaps he came with the travelling fair, or as a visitor from quite far. He has a unique look to him with strong yet soft features.

"So you're from Enawe? That's quite the distance. I've visited quite a few times myself. Do you live on the holiday lands by the forest or in the prairie lands in the farms?"

The girl blushes. The colourful ribbons in her hair glisten slightly in the sun.

"The farms. We farm this corn and fruit ourselves and I sell it with my father with the Fair folk."

The man pops a piece of watermelon in his mouth and smiles thoughtfully.

"Quite nice. Very fine. I'll have to get another bowl." He hands her a few coins and she pockets them in her apron.

"Thank you sir." She says and grins.

I glance away from the handsome man and the fair girl to see Arthur slamming himself into Mrs. Robest. She pulls him up and he struggles to escape. She smacks a kiss on his forehead and let's him loose on the fair.

Alexander has his white shirt and trousers tousled and he looks quite tired and frustrated. I grin to myself as I enjoy the spectacle my son is making of the man that proposed to me so suddenly.

A man coughs beside me and clears his throat. I glance up to see the man with hazel eyes.

"My gold would be on the boy." He says.

He speaks so seriously as if he isn't just joking.

I grin.

"You'd think he'd give up," I motion towards Alexander with my popcorn bag. "But he really wants to be friends."

The man laughs and the bells from his voice warm my heart.

He smiles when I glance at him. The brown curls frame his face that was so serious when he was observing the two.

"You'd think he'd leave the boy to enjoy the fair." He says when we look back to Arthur.

We laugh as Alexander gets a foul look from a large man whose wife was almost run into.

"To introduce myself, my name is Usman."

Arthur runs towards us and Usman begins to laugh. Arthur hides behind my skirts and I can feel his heart pounding against my leg.

"Aaaa, good choice my boy. He won't find you there. Quite the secure tactic." Usman whispers to Arthur.

Arthur giggles and glances around my hip to see Alexander wandering around aimlessly.

"When Alex comes tell him the lion came and ate me up!" Arthur breathes ecstatically.

His blue eyes dance with energy and I hold my arms around him and he buries his face into my skirts.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Usman, this is my son Arthur. The man chasing him is my friend Alexander."

"Aaa, and your name?"

"I'm Mia."

Usman's eyes widen.

"Mia, you say, it is an honour to meet you. Are you from Winsor?"

"Yes, I am. How did you know?" My smile begins to fade.

I loosen my grip on Arthur and he slips away.

"Would I be able to take an afternoon of your time to discuss something with you?"

I step away from him. I look at his put together ensemble and his well maintained appearance and his clearly muscular body. He remains still as I evaluate him.

I take a deep breath. He knows something. He is someone powerful. Tough.

"Is this about Michael?"

"I would prefer we discussed this privately. Michael is your husband, correct?" I nod and the terror leaks to my eyes.

"I am doing an investigation."

"What sort of investigation?" I level my voice.

"A royal investigation instigated by the King and Queen of the Northern Kingdom."

"The King? Who are you?" The breath leaves me.

"I am the Territorial Commander from the army. Aaa, let me see. Yes, let's meet at the restaurant over there in two hours." Usman points to a cafe specializing in pasta and pastries.

I nod and the empty bag in my sweaty hands slips from my fingers as he nods his head and strides away.

What happened to the gentleman I met just moments before? Too soon he became a detective to unravel all my secrets? Is he after my son? I can't hide from the King and Queen, can I? They were only just titled and already an investigation. My heart beats quickly. They must be fierce and unmerciful.

Alexander finds me an hour later standing by the chilies stand crying. He attempts to make light of my bad judgement in eating chilies, but if he knew I hadn't had any, what would he do?

"Where's Arthur?"

"Mia, please don't be mad. I haven't seen him for over an hour."

I run.