Woman

Beating

"I think that we are all in a time of our lives that it's right to get married, don't you think Mia?"

"It's part of life to get married."

"I have never been married, but now is an ideal time."

I cannot sleep or dream with the smell of herbs flowing over my head. My face is burning hot from the very thought that I tried to fight with him. Of all people; him. The man who helped me come home. How will I face him tomorrow with the judge?

"Mia, you deserve happiness too."

Arthur decided to sleep with Uncle John; of course. Now the boy's mother is just going to sit by herself all night; I suppose.

I throw the blanket over my head and clench my eyes. My breath is so hot that I sweep the blanket onto the floor.

"Are you ready to get remarried?"

I stand on the cool wooden floor and glide toward the window and unclasp the lock. Cool wind sweeps over me as I shake the window open and the cold pulls goosebumps over my arms. My night dress flutters at my ankles.

The inns and taverns stand in a line across the distance, with a sprinkle of houses and shops on the horizon. A sleeping world.

"I would love to be married...that is when life begins."

I lean out the window and give a thorough look across the streets. A midnight walk calls to me as the first stars twinkle in the darkening sky. A sense of eagerness flows through my toes as I rush to slip on my boots.

"I would love to be married...that is when life begins."

I rush to unlock my door and the sound cuts the silence like a saw on oak. Both directions are clear. Specifically the door to my right has not a sound coming from it.

Arthur must be sleeping soundly. And, of course, my brother. And him.

Part of me wants to open the door. Of course, just to make sure they are sleeping. Just to make sure Arthur is sleeping, he might become fussy. Although he's never fussy. He's well behaved. I sigh. He's so well behaved.

I slump down the hallway and find myself at the stairs. I straighten and stomp down the steps into the streets.

As I dreamily turn the corner around the Inn, Usman's eyes glint in my memory. At this moment in our walk, the sun hit his hazel eyes and made them look almost grey.

"Mia, you deserve happiness too."

I hurry to speed away from the block around the Inn and go towards the forest. Although, the forest happens to be a full hours walk away.

"Are you ready to get remarried?"

At least we never came here together.

"Arthur," I breathe into the air. "Why did you leave poor Mama alone with this mental beating?"

The air gives no reply and continues on in silent coolness. I look back at the town and I feel I see Usman's eyes staring back. I sigh.

As I march determinedly towards the forest, the cold chill that embraced me begins to crawl on my skin. The heat from the little spot under my left shoulder burns evermore. I walk more quickly. I turn a corner.

A chicken flies at my face.

"Ba-cock!"

I scream and fall.

The chicken takes flight. Kicking up dirt.

Usman rushes to me. Picking me up.

I spit out the feathers and blow the dirt out of my mouth. Holding one hand around his neck and the other pulling feathers away from my eyes with Usman.

"Mia, are you alright?" Usman breathes. "Why are you out here alone?"

I cough repeatedly and nearly choke. I take a deep breath and lean back. After a few moments, my breathing calms down. He wipes a warm hand across my cheek and I watch in the dark moonlit street as a lazy feather drifts to the ground.

"Mia," Usman says. "Are you alright now?"

I nod and cough once. The chicken rushes off to the forest.

"Why are you out here?" He whispers. "Are you walking or meeting someone?"

I glance into his worried eyes and my heart begins to race as I take in his smooth handsome features and with both my arms wrapped around his neck the smell of warm herbs is back and I breathe them in and I lean forward and kiss his strong jaw. My cheeks burn and I see a red tint hover over his neck.

He stiffly places me down to standing.

"I can't believe I just did that," I breathe out. "I.."

"Yeah," Usman rubs the back of his curls. "Me too."

Here we are, standing in the dark, right on the edge of the forest and he followed me out here to ask me if I was alright. Blushing of all things, because of me! Wait, followed me?

Realization dawns on me and I turn to Usman who was staring off into the distance thoughtfully and now is looking at me. I stare at him and wait for an answer. This trick I learned from Mrs. Miller. The quiet yet well-informed mother of Elsa.

His posture straightens and he clears his throat. He clasps his hands behind his back and points his chin upward.

"Mia, I noticed an abrupt and strange sound of movement from outside my room. I immediately went to investigate as I normally would. The sound appeared to be you in your room since you were essentially stationed as a lone wolf. I heard the click of the lock and waited for further movement." Usman drums the words with his voice.

His stance is clearly a solider's. Calm. Confident. Courageous.

"After a few moments I heard the stomping of what I believed was a heavy set man. This appeared to be a kidnapping. Without a moment to lose; I followed. During my mission I realized that you, Mia, were walking alone. You appeared distraught and frustrated. I became worried once you began talking. Perhaps someone has left a note in your room: threatening to take your inheritance in some way? You mentioned a beating? These cases usually end very badly. So I continued following you. Once you turned the corner, I felt you may have found the person you were looking for. I rushed forward and stationed myself beside the building to attack. When you screamed, I came to help. But the attacker was a chicken."

I look at Usman's calm pose in front of me, a commoner. And he, a solider, in his cotton night pants and shirt and uniform coat. He glances around and picks up a fallen knife and places it in his inner coat. He brushes a few feathers out of it and regains his solider's stance.

I giggle and then I laugh and then tears fall from my eyes. This has to be the funniest thing I have ever seen him do. Save me from a chicken!

"Are-harhar you-who reporting-haha to me-hehe?" I lean against a wall and try to get a good look at him.

He drops his stance immediately and looks a little shy as he speaks.

"Maybe," He states.

At a loss for words! This makes it harder not to laugh and impossible to be upset.

"Okay, I get it. It's so funny. Let's go back now," Usman's perfect grin glints in the darkness as we stride side by side.

We walk for some time. He throws his coat over my shoulders. I, almost stumbling, walk through the streets, and continue my stride.

"It will still be funny when you and I arrive back," I say and struggle to breathe and he laughs.

"I'm glad I can make you smile," He says and his eyes shimmer in the low light from a tavern window. "I will keep doing that In Sha Allah."

My heart keeps beating uproariously. I look down at my boots and grin to myself.

"Mia, you deserve happiness too."
♠ ♠ ♠
If you like this chapter, please let me know in the comments!