Woman

Husband

"Good morning! Good morning! It's time to begin the day!" Matilda shakes me and then shoves aside the curtains.

"Up, up. Joesph's already eating." Matilda says. She sweeps up my laundry basket and I close the door as she exits.

I rub my face from sleep and pull out clean clothes and wrap lengths of cloth around my arms to make my shoulders stand out and I sweep on my clothes and place my night clothes in my shelf and I pull out a tin and rub a fingertip full on my cheeks and above my lips and I stride to the kitchen. Matilda slides a heaping plate of food in front of me.

"A strong man's got to have a good breakfast." Matilda winks at me and pinches at my cheeks and I duck away. She wipes her hand on her apron and pulls a jug of fresh orange juice on the table.

Joseph chuckles with a mouthful of eggs.

"Thank you ma'am." I say trying to hold back a grin and smoothing my cheek over with my hand where she smudged my shoe polish.

The easy family atmosphere and the trust lightens my mind instantly.

Days go by. We deliver the Tomken's dining set and Joseph settles in some orders for the winter months that we can manage without leaving town too much.

A night arrives. A night that crashes a man whose journey has been long and tremendous onto our family like a wet rag. It has been storming. The barn doors flutter under the heavy winds and our shop is half drenched.

"Thank you, Sir. I am ever very grateful for all of your kindness. I'm searching for a place to stay Sir, and you opened your home. I have been looking for my wife as I said. It's been tragic you see. She's been kidnapped." The man catches his breath at the word and glances at Matilda.

"Kidnapped? Who would do such a thing?" Matilda shrieks in horror.

My jaw clenches at Matilda's scream, an emotion she often does not reveal. Horror. Her strong composure is shaken.

"So, you've come down all the way from East Winsor then? Have you managed to get any information?"

"That's what I've been searching for Sir, someone took my innocent Mia from me and tied me up without leaving a trace. She's probably living a fate worse than death."

Matilda holds herself together as she collapses onto the floor. I kneel next to her and put my arm around shoulder.

"And then, there's my child." He says, almost menacingly, like a tale that can never get better.

"Child?" I say gruffly as Matilda finally stands and her eyes go round at the thought of a stolen woman with a baby.

"Yes sir, she was with child when she was taken. I'm sure of it. They must've taken her knowing that full well."

"How cruel! We'll get those b-" Joseph starts, but holds his tongue as he glances at the state of his wife. "On my honour Michael, I will help you get revenge on any who did harm to your wife."

"Thank you sir, I am much obliged."

Joseph glances around the room and stands to put out the fire. The small cabin like room with velvet couches and matching walnut end tables darkens. The place of family comfort loses the very characteristic that I loved it for.

"Time for a good night's rest and tomorrow we can talk. Come Matilda." Joseph takes Matilda from my arms and leads her to their room.

She clenches her fists into his shirt and her head lolls onto his shoulder.

"I'll show you your room Michael." I say quietly.

Michael strides behind me down the dark hall.

I push open the door to the spare room and motion for him to walk in. He strides inside and shuts the door.

I rush upstairs to my room and lock the door to sleep.

Tomorrow we will find out the truth.
♠ ♠ ♠
Subscribe for more.