Woman

Mate

Weeks have gone by, and Mike has pressed a new impression on my family. What I thought was my family anyways.

Matilda takes brilliant care of him and very delicately addresses situations as if the idea of a broken stolen wife would break him if she treads too brashly and Joseph has joined him in our work and I have had to make myself busy with my own projects.

And thanks to Tom Milton going on about my designs I have a few orders for myself. I've never seen Joseph prouder. Joseph's happiness helps over Mike's overbearing and stuffy presence.

I wipe my brow and rest on a chair to take a break from a mirror frame that I am designing for a noble's house in Winsor.

Mike strides in and punches my shoulder. This is his method. He is trying to measure and compare our muscle mass. I feel the cloth around my shoulder tighten and shield my skin from bruising.

"You've got some strength in you Michael. I'd say we should have a match some time." He says taking a gulp from a cup of tea Matilda must've given him. He hands me a cup and I place it on the table.

"I don't think I can match you Mike." I grunt and roll my eyes.

He grins. His yellowing teeth, from his years of drinking, are almost menacing in the darkening barn.

"I'll tell you what, you look familiar mate. Are you sure you've never been to Winsor?"

"I've only got my first order, this mirror, last week from Winsor." I say leaning forward and looking down to forcefully catch my breath.

"Mate, I feel as though, say, you aren't related to the Winstons are you?"

"The who?"

"It's a family in Winsor. Are you sure, you're not a cousin, or a relative, or maybe- Are you Mia's brother? She does have a brother"

I stand and I scrunch my face. I pull my tools into my hands.

"I don't have a sister Mike. I don't want to get your hopes up, but I don't know where your wife is. I don't know what happened to your son."

"Son? I never said if my wife was to have a boy or girl, mate." Mike stands and strides beside me to watch me work.

"It's nothing mate I just assumed a man like you would have a son as a first born. Anyways, you should call her brother to help." I say busying myself in my craft, almost digging too deep.

Mike tilts his head back in examination and scrunches his face. He begins to stride out of the barn to my relief, as I want to continue my life and work in peace. He turns back and almost laughs.

A shiver runs over my hands. I hold the tools to steady myself and stare harder at the wood.

"Funny thing is mate, I was thinking how closely you resemble my wife. But a fellow looking like a woman, especially a big man like you, is ridiculous. I'm going to head in. A headache is coming on. Oh, my poor wife. Everything is lost to her and nothing is on my mind except her. I see her everywhere." He sighs dramatically and walks away.

I hear the distant closing of the door of the house. I rest myself on the chair and take a deep breath. I clear my throat and my voice comes out clear and light as it naturally does.

"Funny mate how there are no coincidences in this world." I hold the left part of my chest, right on my heart, and tears burn at the brim.
♠ ♠ ♠
Subscribe for more.