Woman

Prison

Months have passed since the fight that changed my life. I have grown my hair and changed my clothes from pants to dresses.

Joseph can't stand to have me plan my move away. He's piling projects on me and imitating weakness and heart ailments like the old man who sits outside the Tavern. When I pull out a bag to pack he slits the seam and thinks I don't know it's him. Really? Who else uses a dagger so sharp the cut comes out clean?

And I've started smiling more.

Mrs. Rubest tossed Arthur into my arms the moment I went into town. It has been a week since I last saw him. Mike's death has me free to visit. It was the alcohol that really finished him, he was over exerted and his body had turned a putrid yellow which told the town medicine woman what the cause of death was. Alcohol poisoning. The fighting probably was the last straw.

Part of me wants to see this as revenge for the life he stole from me. The other part wants to see it as a key to freedom. Still, a small part feels that the loss of life took some potential to change. But not everyone can change. The living still can. But the dead, the corpse buried in Winsor by his devastated and greedy father, they cannot ask the Creator for forgiveness. They are as they are. All the deeds and the horrors.

Mrs. Rubest has heard about Mike, the whole town must've heard by now.

So, when Matilda told her I was coming in one week to take my son her first reaction was to plan to wait in town square from morning until I did.

Mrs. Rubest held Arthur close and grinned when she saw me. Her chubby cheeks glistened with rosy happiness. She catapulted him into the air and he screamed with delight.

When Arthur falls into my arms and I toss him in the air and he grabs my face and kisses me.

I grin and his matching grin is delightful. Peaceful.

The rising sun behind him lightens the tips of his beautiful brown hair and I sweep the locks from his precious face. From his eyes. Eyes that show a soul so substantial, so encompassing it seeps right out into his sight. I kiss both of his eyes.

"Mama." He breathes.

I take in his toothy grin and his pure innocence. I missed him. His blue soul filled eyes and his cute expression have me shivering inside.

I hold him tight.

"Arthur, your Mama has been very mean." I say.

Arthur stares at me.

"Mama is good." He slaps a chubby hand on my face and throws his fingers in my mouth.

I kiss his fingers and sit on the snow covered ground right in the middle of the town square next to a shop keeper that sells chain mail and knives.

"Okay baby, okay. I am sorry for leaving you all alone. But I'm going to take you now. You're going to live with me now." Arthur screams in delight and I join him.

The free release of breath takes my tension with it.

"Mama!" Arthur kisses my cheek and I kiss his round head.

My dress begins letting the cold snow reach my legs so I wrap my son with my arms and stand. I stride towards the town with a heaviness slipping from my body.

"Uhm, Michael?" A man says.

I turn and the hood falls from my brown hair.

The rows of shops on both sides of the narrow street and the stalls for products and the light snow draped over everything remind me of the past as I take to squinting at the man. He's tall and medium build with a mischievous glint missing from his eyes. He smiles and I remember his smirk.

"Aren't you a sight for sore eyes." Theodore says.

"Theodore, it's good to see you." I feel the uncomfortable stare as he takes in the dress and Arthur.

"It's really good to see you mate. I heard what happened. I'm really sorry. He got what was coming, how he tried to get you so the Winsor judge would release the money you got when they sold your house. That's cruel. I heard that, well," He glances at Arthur and rubs his brown hair. "Let's just say I heard everything."

"You won't get mad at an old friend then?"

Theodore throws me a smirk and puts down the knife he is polishing. That old glint sparks up. He strides towards me in a lazy stroll. A very Michael type stroll.

"Not a chance." Theodore blushes and grins.

I raise my eyebrow and grin.

"Are you blushing Theo?" I say and Arthur busies himself playing with my ear length hair.

"Man," he laughs. "You're a girl, what am I supposed to feel?"

"A woman."

"Yes, a woman. How would you feel if you caught your childhood friend as some handsome lad a few years later?"

I laugh.

"Oh come on it hasn't been that long," I laugh and feel myself blush slightly. "I guess it is rather strange."

Arthur sneezes and I hold him closer.

"Where are my manners? Come inside. We'll get you both toasty."

I glance at Arthur and he stares at Theo in excitement. I grin.

"Do you have any of your mother's cookies?" I say and.Theodore packs up his stall.

"You best believe it. Mum will be happy to see you! Arty, never in your life, well you're quite young but still, never in your life have you had such delicious cookies as my Mum makes." Arthur claps and I stare at him.

His red cheeks and the small puff of stream coming from his mouth are so minuscule. Fresh. How did I ever stay away from him? I kiss his cheeks. There is so much life in him.

I choose to follow Theodore.

I feel the chains of my prison unhinge and crack at my heals.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is not the end.

Only the beginning.

Thanks for subscribing :D