Status: Keep or Delete?

Battle Field

Saved

The wind rustled through the trees. Creating the sound of shimmering leaves, and carrying it through the air like a bird’s wings. The sound sang into my ear drums and danced around my brain. Reminding me that this was home now, and that there was no turning back. My paws dug into the dark earth underneath me, pushing me faster and faster through the forest. My white coat shimmered under the moon goddess’s glow, her moon lit up the trees like Christmas. I felt a thrill coarse through my veins. Never have I ever felt such a feeling in my brain.

Ever since I changed into a werewolf at the age of seventeen I found myself feeling like a part of the world again. Before my change I was simply a quiet human, dragging my feet through life. I was never a loner; I carried the few dear friends that I had close to my heart. Even now it still pained me to know that I had to leave them behind. Leading a life as a ballerina and a gymnastics competitor I was well known in my small town but that never helped that fact that I was sort of an outcast, my mother forced me to enter every competition could and just about died every time I came in second place. I would have loved to see her face when she noticed me gone, and a petite white wolf in my place. Had she screamed in terror? Had she darted out of that damned house she locked me away in?

During my last month as a true human I had began hearing a voice in the back of my head, a beautiful angel talking to me sweetly. It sang to me, marveling at the wonders of the nature around me. Against my better judgment I had told my overbearing mother about it, she had locked me up fearing that I was insane. Of course at the time I had believed that I was as well. In fear that her reputation would be ruined in the community for raising an insane child, she shoved me into that large yet empty house we called our own. Barricading me into my bedroom, and sentencing me to a life of seeing no other face ever again, not even hers. I vaguely remember crying, screaming at the top of my lungs for her to let me out. I had never realized that I was latterly a caged animal, and I was a ticking time bomb. Of course I will never remember it, but I know that bomb went off and some how or another I made it outside. Whether she survived that or not will never be a part of my memories.

That was the last part of my human life that I remembered, my wolf took over then. Now the only thoughts coursing through my brain were thoughts of a wolf. Hunt, kill, protect yourself, and the most incoherent of them was the need to find my mate. Sadly I had never laid eye on another wolf, to be honest these past few weeks I had simply been running without a distention. Untrained on anything that taught me how to be a wolf I feared that I would be seeing the world through these eyes for the rest of my life. Being cursed to never be able to walk on two legs again, to be able to talk or even find any little hope of romance. Had I switched from a life of being locked away inside a bedroom to being locked away inside the body of an animal?

I assumed the basics when I turned. Everything I had ever read on werewolves had actually turned out to be true. The angelic voice still rang loud and clear in my head, and she told me everything I needed to know to survive. What to eat, where to sleep. Sadly there was something that she refused to tell me, and that was how to change back into my human form. I didn’t know if it was because she loved the fact that she was finally able to run free, or the fact that I was in the middle of a desolate forest that I seemed to be lost in. Never the less I was beginning to become restless, sure I loved being the feeling of running free but I wanted real food again and I wanted to be able to sleep in a real bed. Panic was beginning to set in, without ever knowing I would become a wolf I would never be able to know what to do as one. Or how to survive as one. I couldn’t kill; I could barely sustain enough food rummaging to survive. It was only a matter or time before Mother Nature took me as her own.

Sliding to a stop against the bank of an icy stream I crouched low to the ground. Scanning the area with my midnight blue eyes. The moon lit up the area beautifully; tall pine trees housed small crowing owls, and napping squirrels. The light sparkled off from the water, and there seemed to be a lack of other normal nocturnal animals. That was clearly odd to me, but the fact that my stomach growled loudly and my mussel was parched kept me from thinking straight. At the very least I would be able to get some water; I was unable to bring myself to kill so I knew for sure I wouldn’t be finding food tonight. I am going to have to wait till I find another small town, where I will be able to dig through another trash can before I will be able to eat again. Crunching my feet over some old leaves I slowly made my way over to the scream. The voice in my head screaming at me, telling me something was off about this place. I couldn’t wait any longer though, I needed a drink and I couldn’t pass up the rare opportunity to get one.

Turning my head to the sky I sniffed the air. Smelling for any possible danger, sadly I was too inexperienced to be able to detect any danger. The voice in my head wasn’t though, she screamed at me to run. I didn’t listen, I couldn’t pass this up it will only take me a few seconds. Rushing up to the sparking, inviting water I just about dove in. Trying to lap as much as I could into my mouth. After I got this drink I could barrel off in another direction, maybe I will find some food if I start heading west. Not pay attention to what was happening around me I heard a twig snap, jumping up and whipping around I found myself surrounded.

Other wolves, at least three but there had to be more somewhere. I wasn’t alone! Somehow I knew these weren’t ordinary wolves, they were werewolves. The first one I laid eyes on was about my size, her coat a deep red. She was gorgeous; a lean body with a killer look plastered onto her face. She was crouched and ready to attack. Another wolf walked in front of her, shielding her from me it seemed. He was huge, a tall dark brown body that was covered in muscles and scars, his mussel pulled over his fangs in a threatening stance. Last there was another male wolf, not at tall as the brown one but defiantly fatter and he still housed the same scars that the other one did. These wolves made it clear that they didn’t want me here, that they were going to attack me the first chance that they could achieve. I knew for sure that I would’ve lost my life to even the smallest female in my state, so running was my only option.

Darting around I dug my paws into the fresh mud, staining my pure white coat as I forced myself forward. Barreling towards any possible trail that I could find and running as fast as I could. The sound of them chasing me roared through out the woods. Their angry snapping at my heels and the claws itching at my behind. I dodged tree after tree, running as fast as my body would allow. The state that I had placed this body in wouldn’t take me very far. Starving and dehydrated I would be lucky if I could get away. Though I knew that I wouldn’t, loosing my life here would be pointless. I had just turned into my wolf a few weeks ago, I had just found the freedom that I had been seeking for so long and I was about to loose it. All because I was stupid enough to stop for water, this was the first time I had ignored the voice that was screaming in my head and it seemed like it was going to be the last.

‘LEFT’

The voice was suddenly louder then any time I have ever heard it. She stung my ears and almost brought me to my knees. Thankfully I was smart enough this time to do as she said. Forcing my body to the left I darted off in that directions, hearing one of the wolves slam into a log behind me, yelping but they were quickly on their feet. I was not going to be able to loose them!

The moonlit forest was defying me. I couldn’t see very well, and it seemed like ever chance I got I almost crashed into another tall pine tree. Yet they were still right on my tail, so close in fact that I felt a claw slice into my skin and I allowed a scream of pain to admit from my mussel. This was it, I thought, we are done for. It couldn’t have been more then thirty feet before I felt one of the strong bodies come collapsing down on top of mine. Dragging me into the dirt and throwing my small body to the side like I weighted nothing. My midnight eyes searched desperately for as escape, there had to be a way to slip through more trees. There had to be a cave I could hide in. Before I could jump back up I felt an agonizing pain on the back of my neck, they had me pinned and I was going to die.

‘Don’t fight them.’ the voice purred soothingly, once again proving to be the only thing there to save me. She was always there, protecting me, she was like a mother that I never had. My mother had only ever used me towards her benefit, but now I had someone there for me that would guide me through all of this pain. ‘Submit to them, Avery.’

They clamped down harder on the back of my neck, sending a shock of pain down my side. I cried sharply, trying hard not to struggle. The need to listen to the voice was evident here; I wouldn’t be able to win even if I tried. What did I do to piss them off so much? Why did they want to kill me?

A sharp echo filled the forest. It frightened me as the sound brought back such painful memories. It was the sound of bones break and flesh ripping; it was the sound of someone changing. Flashbacks of my pain began to course through my memory, images of me screaming in agony. I remember feeling so hot, boiling. Then out of no where I had collapsed to the ground, feeling my bones snaps and my skin stretch painfully. Please don’t make me go through that again, please. A yelp lifted from my mouth as the bite on the back of my neck grew deeper, I wasn’t struggling why were they still attacking me!?

“Hunter!” A voice snapped. The voice was deep and demanding. It frightened me, was I going to be killed here? Were they going to save my killing for later? What had I done to deserve this!? “Let her go, she is not going anywhere.” The voice in my head seemed to gasp a little bit, almost like she knew this voice.

The teeth in the back of my neck retracted. Leaving a dull ache and a bloody wound. Thankfully I heard the wolf that had been on top of me leave, backing away from me and allowing me to lay limp on the ground. Defeated and frightened. I know for sure I am not getting out of here alive. The sound of two other people changing back into their human forms echoed throughout the trees. Stinging my ear drums and worrying me about what they were planning on doing to me next. It couldn’t be anything to bad, here they were in their weakest forms I could run now if I wanted to. Get out of here, scramble away.

‘Don’t.’ The voice was back, soothing me. She seemed to know what she was doing, I needed to listen. Just listen.

“What are we doing!?” A woman’s voice snapped. She sounded older, but not old enough to be considered an old lady. Maybe someone in their thirties. A hint of annoyance rang in her words it was almost like she wanted them to kill me, like she was gain some type of reward from it. “He said to kill any rogues, after what happened to the Luna we cannot afford to be blamed if this runt pulls something.”

The voice from before growled at her. “I am second in command, I know better then you what happened to her. Look at this wolf though, she is no rouge. She’s frightened and starving, this is a someone who is lost and has no idea what is happening to her.”

“What are you saying?” This voice was deep and husky. The sound of someone who had seen things in their life, things that would make a normal person shudder in their seat. This voice was deeply pained, and clearly pissed off. Yet they stood here and listened to every word that the other male was saying. Almost like he was their general in the field of battle.

The voice began to approach me, making my body shudder with fear. What are they going to do to me? “This wolf was a human once, and she turned unexpectedly. By the looks of it, she cannot be more then a month old.”

‘Change!’ The voice hissed, desperate. I don’t know how! I thought to myself. I’ve been desperately trying to change ever since I had changed into my wolf. Desperately trying to get back on two feet. If I could do that I wouldn’t be here right now, I would’ve been able to get food and shelter. ‘Breathe and just think about it. It won’t hurt anymore, I promise.’

The woman growled again, more then pissed. “You are telling me you had us track down and hunt a puppy!? She isn’t even dangerous and you took me from my mate and children to track down this? I don’t even get to kill something!?”

Breathing slowly I closed my eyes, trying hard to think about changing back. Come on, I can do this. If I change back maybe I can beg for them to let me go, maybe I can still get out of this. The only one that was against killing me what the one approaching me now, what if this is all an act? That’s when I felt it, the pull and tug of my bones ripping apart. My skin was stretching and my fur disappearing. The voice had lied to me, the pain was terrible, and it was so painful that I wasn’t even fully through the change before I could feel the tears stinging at my eyes. Would I ever be able to last through these changes? Hell was I ever going to be able to survive through this night. Here I was, changing into my weakest state in front of two wolves that wanted to attack me and one wolf that was simply just curious.

At the end of the change I was shaking involuntarily. Attempting to mask my small, quiet whimpers of pain. I was surprised that I had been able to do it, so there I sat on the cold wet ground. Marveling at my small HUMAN body. Of course I tried my best to hide that at well, now was not the time for playing games such at this. I needed to protect myself, and I did it the only way I knew how. Lying still on the ground I awaited my fate.

The woman was the first to speak that time, her voice smaller and gentler. It was almost like changing had brought something out of her. Maybe she saw something in me now, something that sparked an interest. “She is just a child.”

A cold hand gripped the top of my boney shoulder, forcing me to roll onto my back and make eye contact with them. A pair of soft green eyes awaited me, they took away some of the fear that I had creeping up my spine. They were almost inviting, comforting. This was the man that had said he was second in command. A blond headed man, age twenty five at the most. His skin was a dark tan, and covered in claw mark scars. To me he seemed beaten, but his aura was that of a joy full yet powerful man.

“How old are you?” He demanded, it took me a second to realize that he was talking to me. Even then I was too terrified to answer; it didn’t dawn on me that being a teenager could potentially save me at this point.

Finally I got up the gull to answer, although I believe that being stared down by him as some part in that. I was so uncomfortable; I just want to be let out of this. “Seventeen.” I answered as quiet as possible. The last thing I wanted to happen was my voice to start shaking along with my body. “What do you want with me?”

He chuckled then, gripping the top of my arm and latterly forcing me to my feet. “To save you of course.” Save me from what exactly?
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I am trying out this new story and I am not sure how I feel about it. Please give me feedback, because if you guy like it I will keep writing in it. Merry Christmas :)