Status: Keep or Delete?

Battle Field

Saved

Pandia rocketed us through the woods. Pumping my wolf legs faster and faster as she dodged every fall limb of a tree. We were traveling in opposite direction of Ryder’s pack. Plummeting quickly into the deep dark woods behind his cabin. I had never felt my body run this quickly, and it was clear to me it was because Pandia was in control. The cool fall air lashed through my tousled fur. Soothing the fever that had slowly begun to take over my body. The shock of the mating process was sure to make this escape harder. I feared that if I took control of my body I was collapse onto the ground in a weak heap. Thankfully Pandia felt none of the pain; she was in full escape mode. Not planning on stopping for anything.

Trees wizzed by me at high speeds. They almost seemed like a blur of brown and green. It didn’t seem to me that I was still a part of this world; everything seemed to mesh together through Pandia’s eyes. Although I was smart enough to know that it was just her heightened senses, she could see perfectly fine. Hell, if she wanted to she would be able to see the wings of a passing mosquito. She wasn’t focused on that now though. I felt our heart thump wildly against our rib cage, driven by adrenaline and fear. If Ryder was focused on that one wolf, then what did that mean for the rest of his pack? Would they come after me and kill me?

As Pandia and I disappeared further into the woods I felt the bond between Ryder and I weaver. The distance was taking its toll on our link; soon I would not be able to feel him. I was out of the boundaries that he could reach me in, and that frightened me a great deal. Not only were we running into a pitch black forest, but I didn’t know if I would be able to find the way back on my own. Not to mention I was too scared to transform because into my human self out here, I would be unable to even call for help in my state. My paws dug deeply into the soil underneath me, kicking up mud and grass as I continued to push myself further into the woods. I was so far into the back of my mind that I didn’t even have a say in which direction we turned, everything that my body did was underneath Pandia’s control.

‘We’re loosing him!’ I cried to her as I felt Ryder’s bond completely diminish from my brain. Ryder didn’t feel near anymore, and that did not help my panic. I felt safe near him, and now that he was gone from my head I felt as though I was a sitting duck. It wouldn’t be long before someone caught up with us and I highly doubt that I will be able to protect myself. ‘Go back!’

She snarled out loud then, her teeth bearing at me. I felt the wind whip at our face, and the cool air touch us once more. Licking up and down my sides and I slowly began to feel weaker. ‘That man was possessed! Hade’s is looking for us!’ She growled loudly, my heart dropped. She had left our mate with that man! He could die! She had already lived through many losses of her mate, but mine would not come back as hers would. The need to return to him swelled inside of me. Why did they have to pick us!? Why couldn’t we be a normal werewolf couple with normal werewolf problems!?

‘But we left him!’ I felt tears weld into my eyes; I could’ve sentenced him to his death! Our paws began to dig into more watery soil. Sinking into the mud as we pushed along. My pearly white coat staining brown as we shuffled through the swampy marsh. To my surprise I found us at the same pond where I was captured by Jessie and the others. I had been closer to Ryder then I had originally thought when I first got here.

Pandia’s eyes scanned the site, looking for any signs of danger. Her nose tilting towards the sky as she sniffed for any smells that would alert her. The cold air that she took in through her nose had me shivering in the back of her mind. I felt sick to my stomach, but because I wasn’t in control of a body there was nothing to worry about. I wouldn’t be getting sick inside my own head. Once she felt satisfied that we were safe she trudged through the muck, carefully entering the brown water to prepare to swim a crossed. Once we were to the other side she would know where to take us, but that involved reaching the other side.

The water was cold and uninviting, and it left even her shivering. Yet she still pushed on, kicking wildly to get to the other side. It wasn’t a very large pond, but the sate my body was in made it hard. Once she finally hit ground of the muddy surface of the other side she attempted to take off again. Sadly something unexpected took place as soon as my paws hit solid ground. Another wolf, twice my size and stature slammed into me. Receiving a loud yelp from my wolf and sending me toppling ten feet to the other side. I hit the watery ground roughly, slamming into it with enough force that it sent a popping sound out of my chest. It hit me so hard that Pandia lost control and I found myself slamming back into the main spot of my body. I was in full control now, and I shook with pain to keep in my wolf form.

‘Avery get up!’ She cried worriedly as the wolf charged me.

His huge brown body slamming into my side and crushing me against a stump. I struggled desperately t get to my feet, yelps and whimpers leaving my chest as I struggled to stand. My icy eyes watched him carefully as I shakily stood up, seeing him start to circle me. His pitch black eyes locked on his prey. He was ready to kill me, and he knew that it would be easy to. His yellow canines were proudly on display as he growled at me, his muzzle raised and angry. My shaking body stood no chance against him, so I did the only thing I could think of doing. I ran.

Of course that was a bad decision on my part. I was his pray now, and he was not letting me get away easily. I darted away from him, pushing my small wolf body into another mound of trees. Hoping I could loose him in them, but I was wrong. I felt his teeth at my heels and I could hear his vicious growls. No one was going to save me from this one, and I certainly was not going to save myself. With a few more dodging darts around thick tree trunks he had caught up to me, pounding on my back and locking his strong jaws around my small throat. The weight of him landing on me sent me face first into the soil, skidding along until we came crashing into a tree. His teeth pierced my skin leaving loud whimpers to soar through my throat. I struggled underneath him, feeling my body seep from my wounds and into his mouth. He jerked at me, trying to do the most damage that he could but for some reason he was having a terrible time at it. I don’t know if it was my struggling or he was just bad at killing things. Either way I was being tortured, the pain that he was inflicting on my already wounded throat was enough for me to see double. The blackness of fainting threatening to take over.

‘Avery keep fighting!’ Pandia whimpered, trying to take back over but for some odd reason she couldn’t force her way to the surface. I yipped and screamed as I felt his shove my muzzle further into the dirt. My body shaking and trashing underneath him in attempts to get up, but every move I made had him just tightening his grip on my neck. This last time just enough to cut off my air supply and leave me suffocating under his grip. He really was going to kill me.

A loud angry growl ripped through the air. Slicing into my brain and leaving my trembling even more under this killer’s body. He had brought friends; I was going to be torn apart by Ryder’s pack. Just the though of my skin tearing underneath their teeth had tears welding up in my dulling eyes. I was really going to die here; I would never see my mate again. The few days that he had given me were enough to make my whole world spin, and now I was going to loose it all just because they thought I was a rouge. I don’t know how they could even consider me that, I was just lost. Suddenly an equally large chocolate wolf pounced on the one that was pinning me down, ripping him away from me and throwing him against a tree three feet away. It crouched over me then, whimpering and nuzzling my broken body. Checking to see if I was alive I assumed, who ever it was made me feel safer though. My bright blue eyes looked up at their soft green ones. Jessie.

He growled then, baring his teeth and snapping his head back to my attacker. Jessie didn’t move as the wolf now began to circle him, he simply stood over me protectively. Growling low in a warning and the look that his body was portraying proved to me that he was ready to fight for me. The wolf that was stalking Jessie now looked so much angrier. His eyes filled with hatred and unease. It was clear to me that Jessie was having a mind link conversation with him, trying to talk him down. Ryder’s pack may be pissed off about me being here, but they were still his pack. I didn’t wish any harm towards any of them, especially because of me. Sure this wolf has attack me, and left me shivering in fear beneath Jessie, but he was still part of what was now my pack. If I was anything like a Luna that they wanted then I couldn’t bear to see anything happen to them. Without warning the wolf charged Jessie, crashing into him and leaving me breathless. My eyes wide in fright as they danced in a circle, both of their teeth shown. Growling loudly they charged each other. Body slamming in the middle and tearing into each other with their fangs. Jessie snapped his jaws at the other wolf, pushing it back away from me. Slamming it against a tree and pinning it with his teeth buried in the wolf’s throat. Twisting and pulling, Jessie had killed him before the wolf had a chance to react. Snapping his neck and throwing him onto the ground. Glairing at the down dead heap of a wolf until he was certain that the wolf was not going to come back. His green orbs began looking around the woods for more danger, searching over every corner. When his beautiful wolf turned back to me I found his entire chest covered in blood, both his and the other wolf’s. His injuries were minor, simple scratches. I was thankful for that.

‘He will protect us.’ Pandia sighed, almost dreamily. I could tell that the scare with the pack wolf had left her shaken and scared. If she had her way we would still be running away from this place. Both of us knew that eventually Ryder would find us, but right now it seemed as though being with his pack was too much of a danger. Pandia may be a god, but my body was still human. I wonder what would happen to her if I died, that would be a good question to ask her later in life.

Jessie walked slowly over to me then, standing tall and proud. I could tell that the minor cuts that he had suffered did not affect him what so ever. I wish I could say the same for myself, the bite marks that sank deep into my neck still stung and ached. I hated knowing that I had needed Jessie to fend for me; I would have loved to be able to take that wolf out myself. Sadly I didn’t know enough about my wolf form t even have a chance. I mean sure, I can claw and bite but that’s nothing that will save me in a fight like that. I need to know how to fight, that is the one that that I need to learn. Maybe I should put off on the ballet dream and toughen myself up a little. As I was talking to myself Jessie had strolled up to me, pushing on my head with his wet blood covered snout. That was clearly something that would stain my pure white coat, but it was clear to me that it was already dirty. I stood up when I realized that was what he wanted me to do; he knew that I needed to keep running just like Ryder did. Right now the pack was pissed off; they were not going to listen to anything anyone said until Ryder had a chance to calm them down. Now was my only chance for survival, I needed to run.

Pushing myself off the muddy ground I felt my weak legs tremble. Jessie nudged me once more and I took off. He followed me, close behind. So close that I could hear the huff of his breath as it lifted from his lungs. I felt safe with him here, which was at least something, which I could be thankful for. This time Pandia was not in control of my body, so as I darted through the woods it seemed slower. Every tree I passed went by in slow motion, my heart thudded against my rib cage and my panting was thick. I knew that every second counted, and it seemed Jessie did as well. He kept pushing me along, growling at me if my legs lagged slowly. To me it was the most I could do to dig my paws into the muddy ground. Much more of it and I felt like my legs would give out.

Suddenly we broke through the trees, both of us skidding to a stop. There was a small clearing, one that looked like it would be filled with beautiful flowers and bight sunshine. Of course that was the opposite that I viewed tonight. Around the clearing were at least fifteen wolves, some of them large with fat and others buff with muscle. By each of their sizes I knew that most of them were male. Their gruff expressions and grainy coats told me that they had been in their wolf forms for a long time. I couldn’t tell if they were a part of Ryder’s pack, but I could see that they were not happy about me being here. Jessie growled deeply, walking in front of me and crouching in a protective stance. I knew even I was going to have to fight here in order for a chance for both of us to survive.

Growls erupted around us, making me jump because I had not heard or smelled other wolves around us until I heard that. My body started trembling in fear, I had not expected us to beat these wolves and now there were more?! A soothing scent then filled my nose, the scent of my mate. My heart fluttered and I instantly felt ten times safer. At least I would see him one last time if I died here. My eyes scanned the near by trees, finally seeing my huge black furred mate. He stood taller and buffer then every one here, his long strong legs made huge strides into the middle of the clearing. I caught sight of his eyes flashing towards my small trembling form, and I swear I saw him wince. Looking back to my protector I saw him watch the wolf that had been behind Ryder. By the looks of its smaller size I noted that the wolf must be female. She had a shinning light brown coat; it was so light that she could almost be considered blond. When she raised her dainty head I watched her connect eyes with Jessie, and instead of following her alpha she darted as fast as she could over to him. Instantly I realized they were mates, especially when she crawled on her stomach over to him and lifted her muzzle up to lap at his wounds. His head leaned down to nuzzle hers, and then he nudged her behind him just like I was. She trotted right over to me and made me jumped and she pushed her soft head against mine. It didn’t take me long to realize she meant it as a friendly greeting, and if I could’ve smiled at her I would’ve.

Loud growls and barks of rage sounded through the clearing. From both the side of people that Ryder has shown up with, which seemed to be about half of the pack that stood in front of Jessie like a barrier and then the other side of wolves that seemed to be hell bent on murdering me. Jessie’s mate didn’t seem as scared as I was though, she was just watching carefully. Sometimes looking over at me and bumping her had against mine. I could tell that one day I was going to be friends with this girl, she was extremely nice. I haven’t really been accepted by many people here, and this was the first person that I felt like I wanted to know. I want to be friends with this little wolf. For what seemed like a lift time Ryder paced on the front lines of the pack, growling and snapping at them. I could see shock in some of their eyes but because of my bond that I only shared with Ryder I could not hear the conversation.

‘Are you hurt badly, my love?’ I suddenly head his voice in my head, even though I knew that he was still having a conversation with his pack through another link. It was nice to hear his voice in my head; it seemed to wash away most of my fears that were housed through my ever wandering thoughts at the moment.

The voice I heard in my head was in fact Ryder’s, I knew Aetes’ was in control of his body at the moment but somehow he was still contacting me. ‘Jessie saved me.’ I whispered to him, desperately wishing that Pandia would take over.

As time dragged by I began feeling the affects of my illness once more. The cool fall breeze had me shivering in my spot, and the pains from the bite marks were beginning to be too much. I needed a hot shower and a long sleep, but it was still to scary to even move. The wolves that were fighting against Ryder were beginning to calm down, but every once in awhile they would peak around Jessie to see me trembling. Some of them realized that I was just a little harmless wolf and nodded to Ryder’s agreements and joined his side once again. Looking back and seeming to bow at me, which left a considerable amount embarrassment on me. It seemed like forever of me standing there before Ryder turned his back to the angry side of his back and began walking towards me. There were five wolves left that still looked like they wanted to murder me, all three of them seeming to be identical in size and color. To me they seemed like they were brothers, either triplets or simply siblings. They expressions only grew with more rage when Ryder simply walked straight up to Jessie, Jessie’s mate, and I. Ryder seemed to actually bow as Jessie, showing his gratitude for him saving my life. The three wolves then tossed their heads back and howled, starting to turn and run into the woods. Leaving the pack for good. The rest of the back did not move though, nor did they run around. They watched their mates leave, some of them bowing their heads with sadness. I was brought out from watching them when I felt Ryder’s soft wet nose press against the top of my head. Pandia sang with happiness when she felt that, and my heart fluttered.

‘Come on, I need to get you to the doctor.’ He hummed, his voice gliding though my head like butterflies. I nodded a little and began following close at his side as he led me from his pack. They all stayed and began turning to talk to one another. Ryder and I were left to go to the pack grounds on our own. I was thankful for that; I had enough excitement for one night. We had been walking for what seemed like three minutes, my paws crunching on the decaying leaves and my head hanging low with exhaustion. Every once in a while I seen Ryder’s eyes look down at my small body through the now morning air. ‘Are you to tired to walk?’

I wasn’t shocked by that question. He was my mate after all, and he did want to do all he could for me. Sadly I was too scared to change back. ‘I am fine.’ I promised, my head still bobbing with every step I took. My eyes lowered to the ground, marveling every colored leaf I could see. Browns, reds, golds. Everything as so pretty here. If I hadn’t lived in a basement most of my life as I human I wonder if I would’ve ever noticed these colors.

‘Change, I will carry you.’ Before I had a chance to decline I heard his skin start to tare and deform. I cringed when the popping of his bones echoed throughout the woods. I hated changing with a passion, it was terrible. One day I am sure I will be used to it, but for now I’d rather just stay in one form. His naked body made me want to blush. Everything was perfect about him, the way his neck curved into his defined collar bone which then faded into a god like chest. Not to mention the large hunk of muscle that hung between his legs. I knew that one day that piece of him would bring me pleasure, but right now it just looked intimidating. Sex is intimidating. “Well, come on now.” He chuckled when he caught me looking, great now he expects me to change…

Snorting at him a little I allowed my mind to drift to Pandia as she incited the change. My bones began shaking then I felt each one start to crack then snap, and small whine of pain escaped my lips. It was beginning to feel better then my first change, but it was still unbearable. My skin stretched and I took in a deep breath as I felt my body literally burst into human form. I collapsed into the mud, dirtying my already dirty skin. A sound of both pain and annoyance lifted from my chest as I tried to push myself off the ground. Ryder seemed to be laughing as me as he helped me up by placing his hands underneath my arm pits. Easily he lifted me up and pulled me into his chest. When our skin touched a small fire started in the pit of my stomach, it was a great feeling. My cold arms wrapped around his back to steady my shaking body as I felt his fingers gently pull away the hair from my neck. Inspecting my wounds and gently stroking over them. They didn’t hurt as much as they did before, and I no longer felt blood seeping out of them. It was clear to me that I was already healing. Perks of being a werewolf I guess.

“I’m fine.” I sighed. Well, physically fine I guess. I was still waiting for another wolf to jump out and pounce on me. Although his pack seemed to be accepting me now.

I felt Ryder’s chin press to the top of my head. “I fear we have just started a war, Avery.”