Status: Finished

Safe and Sound

"Grace" my father yells from the other room. I'm trying to escape when he comes in and grabs my arm. He slaps me and I'm holding back tears, but i know better. I would "tattle" as he like to call it, but i know he'll wiggle out of it like the snake he is. I jerk my arm back but he burns it with his freshly light cigarette. I fall and sob. Sometimes i wish he would have just kill me already. He'll get there i know he will.

Mom walks in, i run up and hug her as hard as i can. She squeezes as hard as she could and asks with a big smiles if id help with dinner. "Of course" i say with a smile on my face. After dinner we go to bed and mom kisses me goodnight.
I wait about 15 minutes and sneak out my window and down the fire escape. He's waiting for me, Jack. Jack is captain of the football team and every girls dream. We run into an abandon warehouse next to my apartment building. That's where we talk all the time. Jack knows about my dad and what he does, he kisses my burns and then my forehead. He makes me feel safe.

I'm walking to school when Wendy and two of her followers come barreling down main street and with her tires she splash me with mud. "*laughs uncontrollable* OH Grace you got a little something right ........ there" said Wendy. Wendy is prom queen, head cheerleader, and Jake's fake girlfriend. Wendy doesn't know about me and Jake but i would love to rub it in her face "he love me, not you" i want to say, but i can't because it would ruin his reputation and i don't want that for him. He insists i tell everyone but i don't.
When Wendy splashed me with that dirty water, i was already a block away from the school so i just walk the rest of the way. When i get inside i run to the office and call my mom. When she comes she demands a immediate meeting with Wendy's parent's. That never happened though.

When i got home i did my homework, but something seemed off so i went to the kitchen and saw "father". " nope, nothings off here" i said to my self. Then i went to bed, kiss good night from mom and i wait fifteen minutes, like any other night. I look outside but Jake isn't there, i knew something was off. I climb fast down the fire escape, and whisper a few shouts "Jake, Jake!" and he runs out and hugs me from behind. "This is why i love you" i tell him. We run over, holding hands, to the warehouse, and he tells me he can't keep us a secret anymore. " Just one more night" I tell him in disbelieve. He had already told his mom and dad about our little scandal. They're fine with it, he tells me with an enthusiastic tone. So, i agree.

When i wake moms already at work so it's just me and Jacob. Still the occasional burn of the cigarette, slap, punch. Then to my surprise mom walks in just as hes about to punch me in the stomach. She pushes him "How dare you hurt my child, you B******!" she sends me to my room, but i can still hear them fighting. All the sudden i hear rocks against my window i open it and see Jack. " what are you doing here?" i said curiously. "i had to see you" he replied. "okay". he starts up the fire escape when my mom comes barging in. " we're leaving" she informs me and he jumps off the fire escape. I mouth " Follow the car".

When we reach my grandmother's house, i introduce Jack to my family and he spends the night with me. We stay up late talking, and i fall asleep with a kiss from grandma, mom, and Jack. Jack puts his arm around me and i fade from world.

On Sunday i go to court for child abuse give my testimony and Jacob gets what he deserves, 25 to life. Jack kisses me tells me i did a great job and sits next to me in my car. Before i fall asleep i ask Jack " How are we going to tell everyone about our relationship" he tell me " We'll figure something out".

Monday Jack is on the intercom. I'm wondering why he is on there. Then i realize what he's doing and my belly does a flip-flop. " everyone at Wisconsin high i would like to announce that i do not and never have had feelings for Wendy Pisces i love, with all my heart Grace Kimper." and everyone gives a quick glance at me then looks away.

I haven't seen my dad since that day in court, but me and Jack see each other everyday.
I can finally say I'm Safe and Sound.