The Cursed Throne

Adaline

Even after Theodore's discovery (meaning the conversation he'd had with their father), it was insisted that life go on as normal. All children each received two guards, which incidentally made things crowded at times. Ada certainly didn’t enjoy being shadowed at all times and even occasionally needing permission from them to go certain places. And really, it seemed to her that everyone was a mess. No one really wanted to admit there was war on the horizon, or the implications of such a thing. Everyone went about life as usual, as best they could. Every day, the King continued to hold meetings of strategy and such, and the Queen fretted over her children in excess. Emmeline was worrying everyone, Henry was… well, Henry. Genevieve wasn’t quite herself and moodier than usual, Theodore was making himself busier and almost distant for it, and Ada… well, she was just trying to take it all in. Everyone seemed to be in that same state of shock that she was, as if no one could quite believe it, not after so many years of peace.

So she attended her lessons with Sir James every day as she was supposed to, and though distracted, tried to be a good pupil. During breaks, she would sit in the courtyard usually or sometimes walk around. Since Sebastian had ruined her favorite pair of gloves, she’d only seen the horrid beast a few times, and that was a while ago. Upon asking around, she also discovered no one else had seen him in some time either, and she wondered if the old cat had run off somewhere, possibly to die. For reasons she couldn’t quite understand, the thought made Ada sad, and so she tried not to linger on it.

But time passed, as time often does, and it wasn’t long after that King Danton wanted to have a special family dinner. He wanted to talk to his entire family on important matters, and that worried Ada considering their current situation.

“It has to do with the war,” Ada said to Emmy the night of the dinner. The two were helping each other get ready, though usually this wasn’t the case. Emmy was usually with Henry and never alone, but lately Ada had begun to feel a bit lonely and was reaching out towards her siblings more than usual. She did feel sure whatever their father wanted to discuss had to do with the war though. “It makes sense,” she continued when Emmeline said nothing in response. “He hasn’t discussed anything with us personally, so all we’ve ever really heard are rumors. And if we’re going to war, then he’ll want to talk to us; or Mother will at least, and even she hasn’t said a word.”

Ada felt nervous energy bubbling through her but she was being subjected to sitting perfectly still as Emmy tied up the various laces and strings of her dress. What she really wanted to do was pace around as she tried to sort through everything in her mind, but she just couldn’t… She very nearly groaned in frustration, but somehow managed to contain it.

“Ada, you should stop worrying so much. We’re about to go to dinner and find out,” Emmy said, sounding patient. Then she was finished, and as she announced it, Ada nearly jumped from her seat as she stood.

Though she continued to resist the urge to move around nervously and pace, she wasn’t particularly still either as she faced her sister. “I know, I know,” she sighed as Ada began to try and shoo Emmy. “Go finish getting yourself ready for dinner. If you stay here, you’ll never make it in time.” Their father was a strong advocator of punctuality.

“No! I’m finishing you up first! So sit back down, and let’s finish prettying you up.” Emmy pointed emphatically at the chair.

“You’re really enjoying this, aren’t you?” accused Ada.

Her sister’s reply was, “Of course.”
Dinner did begin rather awkwardly. All seven present knew why they were there, but no one seemed to particularly want to broach the subject, not even King Danton whose idea it was to arrange the whole fiasco. Therefore, conversations were few and far between, and any sort of talking done had a strained undertone to it that simply made the room even more tense.

This was why Ada was glad, as she was sure her siblings were as well, that their father finally began talking. Everyone had finished their meal, but no one had budged from their seat or even attempted to be excused. It was like the silence before the storm, and Ada felt she could safely say she preferred the torrents of rain, the clash of thunder, and even the sharp zaps of lightning against the sky.

“Does everyone know why we’re here?” Danton’s answer was a few murmurings, followed with the bobs of his family’s heads. “Good,” his deep, commanding voice rumbled, and for an instant he looked as if he were thinking very hard on what to say, rather than just coming out with it. Ada knew she had to be imagining things though. This was her father after all, and she’d never seen him doing anything of the sort before.

“Good,” Danton repeated. “As everyone likely already knows, soon Philyan will be issuing a formal declaration of war. Now, we aren’t here to actually talk about the impending war with Thegari, but the impact it’ll have on this family. So far, your mother and I have sheltered you five, but I am starting to see how that was a mistake, as well as leaving you to your own devices.

“Now, one change has already come about. I’m sure you’ve all noticed by now the soldiers who stay with you everywhere? Good. You each are assigned two, and until I say so, they stay there. They are for your protection, as well as making sure you aren’t sneaking off to places and going where you shouldn’t be. They’re to make sure you attend your classes, too, and they’re instructed not to listen to any counter-instructions you may give. So, children of mine, you may as well get used to your soldiers. Are we understanding so far?”

Murmurings of “yes father” and other like sentences were spread out the group, sounding moderately sullen, and Queen Niathina was strangely quiet when usually discussions like this would set her into a heated argument, usually about her children.

“Next, your roles will be beginning to change. Theodore, I won’t be around forever, and I’m starting to age as things stand now. You’ll start taking steps into being the Crowned Prince. When I die, you’ll be the one to step up, and I’ve neglected your duties thus far. This will be no longer. Your mother and I will be looking into your marriage, and you will be participant in this war. I need you to focus and learn too.” Danton didn’t have to say “if I die” but they all understood the implication. He’d said himself that he wasn't young like he used to be, and if something did happen, then it would be Theo stepping up.

“Genevieve,” Danton continued. “We’ve already had a like discussion I believe, but I would remind you. You are in no danger of assuming the throne, yet marriage is in your near future. Your normal classes will be momentarily suspended so that you may work on your immediate future, preferably with your mother. You’ll learn to be a wife, a mother, and a Queen, as is your own birthright.”

Then Danton looked at his remaining three children. “Your schedules will remain much the same. You’ll begin learning of things imperative to your roles, much like your brother and sister, but the three of you will have more time to do so, and so won’t have to drop absolutely everything to momentarily do this. So Henry, Theodore, I expect to see you at war councils. Genevieve, Emmeline, and Adaline –I expect to see a fair amount of improvement in the upcoming months. Should I see no improvement, punishments will ensue. Do not mistake me, my dear children, I have only your best interests in mind. This is not punishment to any of you, but simply the effect of this curse, and how it has caused your mother and I to shelter you.”

No one spoke as they all kept their attention on Danton. He had a strong, commanding voice that rumbled deep. Whenever he would speak in what Ada called his “speech voice”, it was always captivating. No one dared utter a word. Now, he seemed done, ready to give them permission to discuss amongst one another, but still no one would speak.

“Dismissed.” That single words was all that the children needed, and soon they were out of their seats and beginning towards the door. Ada was sure there would be more changes to come aside from what had been explained by their father, but apparently those changes were supposed to be a surprise. So in that case…

Ada did hope that everyone enjoyed surprises.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry this took me so long to update everyone!! My family is moving in two months. My dad has already, so we go visit him every weekend, then do homework and pack during the weekdays.

I'm starting to get in a groove, so hopefully it'll get better soon?