Status: Active!

Dreams.

Impulse.

Cassandra's PoV

August 26th 2008.

Two. More. Days.

In two days I will finally be 17.

To anyone else, it probably isn't that big of a deal. But to me it's everything. Here in Colorado, you have to be 17 before you can drop out, and lucky for me, I turn 17 three days before the school year starts. Meaning I don't even have to go the first day, I just have to straighten it out with the Guidance office, and that will be that. I'll be free. I won't have to wake up at five o'clock in the morning go to school and ride a bus with a bunch of immature 12-18 year olds. I won't have to sit through six to seven classes a day and listen to teachers who obviously hate their lives rant on, about things I'll never need to know in life, to a bunch of angst filled teens. I won't have to be trapped and held back by homework.

I'll finally be able to live my life like I've dreamed of, and the way I want.

There is only one problem. My parents.

The last time I brought the topic up they had brushed it off. They have always had this idea in their heads that I am going to graduate high school at the top of my class. Go to some ivy league college and marry some man in business, have a few kids and the 'perfect' life. That's what they have always wanted for me. Never paying attention to what I want.

Not that I really minded. They left me alone for the most part when I was growing up. I was passing with straight-A's in school. I had a great group of friends, and I was a really well-behaved kid. I never experienced that rebellion stage. I think it was because of these things they never really worried about me, why they still don't. They always supported my love for music, even if it was a 'strange taste' as they called it. They let me go to concerts, even if it was a school night, they bought me instruments, not to mention decent at home recording stuff so I could make demos. It was nice. They would coddle me at the same time as they would be amazing parents. Which is part of the reason why I don't know why I am panicking right now.

Currently I'm sat on my couch waiting for both my parents to get home so I can tell them what I've decided to do. I'm nervous, I'm hopeful, I want them to believe in me and understand what I want for once, instead of them assuming they know what's best.

As the door opens I make the decision to break the news to them like I would take off a band aid, fast and no regrets.

"Mom, Dad, can I uh talk to you?" They look at each other, seeming worried before following into the living room.

"Is everything alright Cassie?" My Dad asks.

"Imdroppingoutofschool." I rush.

"Slower hunny. We're getting old and can't hear as it is." My Mom laughs. I take a deep breath.

"I'm not going back to school this year, I'm dropping out." I say slowly. Neither of my parents say anything.

"Let's talk about this." My Dad starts,

"You have to really think about this Cassandra. It's not something you can do on impulse. You need to have a plan." My Mom tries to explain.

"And I do! I do have a plan! I have this figured out! I'm going to LA, and I'm going to start my music career." My parents look at each other once again.

"That's a pretty big dream. I know they say Los Angeles is the city where dreams come true, but I also don't think it's that easy. You need a back up plan. And dropping out of high school doesn't really let you have one." My dad tells me.

"I've waited for this chance forever Dad. I'm 17 in two days. I can get a job. I'll find a place to stay. I'll call you guy everyday. Just let me try this. Please." I beg, sounding desperate.

"I'm not sure of this..." My mother frowns.

"What do I have to lose?" I ask, realizing that that probably wasn't the best thing to say.

"Graduating. Prom. College. You're not giving your future a proper chance." My mom says loudly. I knew she would take it the hardest.

"You think I would enjoy myself? I hate school. I go every day. I get good grades. But I'm not happy. I wouldn't go to prom, I mean, I haven't even worn a dress since I was like 8 years old for Grams's funeral, and it was because you forced me. I can't picture myself in college, I never have." I pause. "This is my future Mom, I'd rather give myself this chance now, than let it just stay a dream. If I don't do it now, I'll never be able to. This is it. It's my time to finally live my life freely."

No one says anything for a few minutes.

"Go." My dad whispers.

"What?" My mom and I ask at the same time.

"Go. You want to do this, so go for it. I'm not going to stop you. Besides, it's not like you don't have anything to go off of. You're one of the most talented people I know. And I'm not just saying that because you're my daughter. You've been dreaming off this since your uncle played guitar for you when you were five. I've never seen you as happy as you are when you are playing guitar or you're singing. I'm not going to stop you from that happiness. So go. We'll be there to help you the whole way. We'll pay for your apartment until you're 18. Give it a year. If you don't figure anything out by then you might want to rethink all of this." My dad explains.

"You can't be serious Allen." My mom asks. "She's still a kid. You've seen what California does to these kids."

"But she's our daughter. She can do it. Both you and I know that. We wouldn't be able to stop her anyway. She's already got the idea in her head. She'll never let it go, so why fight it?"

"Alright." My mom finally agrees.

"Really?" I ask. Not sure if this was all a dream. My dad nods. "Oh my god." I squeal. "I have to go pack!" I run up the stairs to my room. Still not believing that all of this was happening.