Status: Active!

Dreams.

Chance.

Cassandra's PoV

It's been a month since moving to LA. It's no where near easy. I think that I had convinced myself that all of this was going to be easy. That I would get discovered the minute my plane landed.

But I was wrong. I was so, so, wrong.

I spent the first week here applying for different jobs, and never getting hired because I'm a drop out. Then when I finally get hired at a cafe down the road from my apartment all I ever do is work.

I never have any time to myself.

I never have any time to write songs.

And at this rate I'm never going to get anywhere. I don't have the money to anyway. My parents are only sending me enough money for the rent each. I then have to come up with the money for the electricity, heat an hot water bills. I never have any money.

I never thought that moving out here would mean I'd be hungry most of the time. I miss being home, I miss having everything be so easy. And it's wicked lonely.

But I'll never admit that to anyone. Which is the reason why every time my parents call me I explain how great everything is and how happy I am. Yeah, it's a lie, but it's better than hearing them, especially my mother, say 'I told you so.'

These were the thoughts racing through my head as I cleared the tables at the cafe from the night shift I had just worked.

"Ah. Cassandra. You're still here?" My boss, Tyler, asks.

"Yeah. Just picking things up." I shrug. "I guess I'm a little slow tonight. I'm just thinking."

"What about?" He asks. I hesitate for a moment before I sigh.

"Everything. I was stupid to move out here. I was naive to think that I could actually make music and get somewhere. And now Im barely surviving and making a living. Only having a place to sleep because my mom and dad send me money for rent." I rant.

"You're a musician? I just thought you were another high school drop out. Or a runaway." He chuckles. "Who would've thought."

"Wow. I'm glad you think so highly of me." I say sarcastically.

"Hey. That's in the past now. You any good?" He asks.

"Um..." I trail off. Not knowing how to answer the question.

"Because if you're good we have a little band/singer open mic night on Friday and Saturdays. We get a pretty big turn out. You might meet someone who can help you out." He explains. "As long as you have your cd or you can play live I'll add you on the list."

"You'd do that?" I ask.

"Yeah why not? I mean, everyone deserves a chance right?" He pauses. "And for the whole not having enough money thing rent in California isn't cheap. And if your parents send you the rent each month why don't you just keep it for yourself and sleep on couches of friends." He offers.

"That's easier said than done. I'd actually need some friends with couches for that to work." I laugh.

"Well hey. My couch is always open but you wouldn't need it. Since I just live upstairs and there's an extra room you can stay here whenever." I can't help but wonder why he's being so nice to me. "And don't worry. I'm not trying to rape you it anything. I just wanna help you out. I came to LA with dreams too you know. I wanted to be a famous guitarist. And I just ended up owning a coffee place. That's why I have the mic nights. Everyone deserves a chance."

"Wow." Is all I say before putting the last fish in the dish washer. "I think I might be taking you up on that offer." I say after a minute.

"Really?" He asks.

"Yeah. I mean. I don't have anything to lose. I'll actually have more money. And I won't have to walk a mile to work since it'll be downstairs." I can't believe what I am saying. I have never been a person to just do things. I always put a lot of thought into my actions and think seriously about what I'm doing. But lately that's all been different. I am going things I never would have thought of doing. Like practically moving in with someone I barely know? Getting the chance to put myself out there. Maybe make some music friends or get discovered.

Two years ago all it would have been was a fantasy.

But here I am. Starting on a path that I never thought I'd actually make it to. But I guess things can work out, things can only get better from here.

I just hope I didn't jinx it.

-A week later. -

"You're finally ready to move in?" Tyler asks.

"I had to straighten everything out with my old landlord first." I explain. "And she's a bitch, so it was pretty difficult."

"I bet. Are you going to preform tonight?" He asks looking at the guitar case Im carrying.

"I don't really have anything prepared." I say. "I have written a song in I don't know how long. And I haven't played in front of people since my 9th grade talent show. In which I later got in trouble for since the green day song I played apparently wasn't school appropriate."

Tyler laughs and puts his feet on the table in front of him. Leaning back in his chair.

"Well go ahead." He motions toward me. "Play me something. Preferably original."

"Right now?" I ask.

"Right now." He confirms. I search my mind before deciding on a song. Taking out my guitar. And playing the all too familiar intro to the first good song I wrote. Taking a deep breath I sing the first verse.

"The things I've done. The things I've said. They're all just memories in the end

I wasted all my life just trying to forget. And now I've lost track of time.

So what now.
I've lived my life.
Even it it wasn't much.
I've seen the world.
And even though I could never face it.
I know reality."

I stop singing. Not wanting to go on forever.

"Why'd you stop?" He asks.

"I don't know. It just wasn't really that good. So..."

"It's a little amateur. But you still have talent. You put thought and emotion behind your lyrics. Which is something not many people do these days. You just need to stop doubting and second guessing yourself. You do that you can and will definitely get somewhere." He says.

"Thanks Tyler." I smile.

"No problem Kid. So whatdya say? Want me to help you move in and then you can help me set up for tonight?" He offers.

"Sounds like a plan to me." I say, and we head to his car to go and get the rest of my stuff from my old apartment.

"I hope you don't mind sleeping on a Futon. That room doesn't have a bed." He explains.

"I'll be fine. I'm really grateful for what you're doing you know." I say.

"I see a lot of myself in you. There's no way that I'd let you fuck up like I did." He shrugs. "Now let's get moving." He says and we start.

It didn't take us very long. And before I knew it people were coming into the cafe and getting ready for mic night.

I'll admit that I've never been this nervous for a show before. I don't know why I am tonight. It's probably just the change in atmosphere. Me finally getting that chance. Even if I'm far from it now it's getting closer.

I am pulled out of my thoughts by me bumping into someone.

"Shit sorry." A deep voice mumbles.

"My fault. I wasn't paying attention." I say and move out of the persons way as they rush past.

Well. Someone's in a hurry.

I go back to find Tyler to see if he needs help with anything, but he just brushes me off and tells me to get ready for my performance tonight.

This was it. I'm finally here.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment what you think!!