Unspoken

"Don't die, Jacky."

Jack wakes to whimpers coming from outside his bunk.

"Alex?" he mumbles into the dark. He rolls over and slides his phone out from beneath his pillow. 2:27 AM. He groans and rubs his eyes as another low whine sounds from the direction of Alex's bunk. "Alex, I swear, if you're —" He pauses as he hears a muffled sob.

"Shit," he mutters, before sliding out of bed, stumbling slightly. He crosses over to his best friend's side of the bunk area.

"Alex?" he whispers hesitantly, pushing the curtains aside. He leans over his friend, letting his eyes adjust to the darkness. "'Lex, what's wrong?"

Alex is lying on his side, eyes closed, facing Jack. His knuckles are white from clutching the sheets and his face is glistening with sweat and tears. Jack can hear his quiet sobs, coupled with ragged breaths as he mumbles something indistinct.

"Alex?" Jack calls, his voice trembling slightly. More mumbling. He leans forward and shakes the elder's arm. "Alex!" he calls again, a bit louder this time.

Alex's eyes fly open as he wakes with a jolt. "Jack —" he starts, but his voice cracks and a stray tear slides down his cheek.

"Shh," Jack breathes, crawling under the covers and trying to ignore the ache that's settled in his chest. "It's okay, 'Lex." He lies down on the edge of the bed, facing the elder and hesitantly placing a hand on the small of his back.

Alex moves forward and buries his face in Jack's shirt, his thin frame shaking. He gives a small sigh as the younger's arm slides up his back, resting between his shoulder blades. "Th- thanks," he croaks, leaning into his touch for warmth.

"No problem," Jack murmurs, letting his hand slide up to stroke Alex's tangled locks.

They stay like this for a few minutes, Jack's chin resting on top of the singer's head, with only Alex's quiet sniffles and Jack's soothing voice to break the silence.

"Nightmare?" Jack finally asks.

Alex laughs shakily, sending vibrations into Jack's chest. "Maybe." He wraps his arm around the younger's waist.

Jack smiles and pulls him closer, and he's so nice and warm and soft and he can smell the sweet scent of his shampoo. It's not enough, not quite, and all he can do is try not to suffocate the elder as he presses his cheek against his hair, breathing him in. He runs his hand up and down Alex's back, earning a contented sigh.

Alex leans his forehead against Jack's chest, listening to his deep breathing and slow heartbeat. And maybe it's just the aftereffects of the dream, but he can't help but break the silence once again.

"Jack?"

"Yeah?"

Silence. Then, softly —

"Don't die, Jacky."

Jack smiles against Alex's hair. "I won't, 'Lex."

"Promise?"

"Sure." He pauses, then laughs slightly as he adds, "Why?"

Alex swallows hard but gives no reply. Instead, he wraps his leg around both of Jack's and reaches up to feel the short strands of hair at the nape of Jack's neck. He pulls back slightly to catch a glimpse of the younger's face. Jack glances down and meets his wide eyes for a split second before he tilts his head down and — on impulse — presses his lips to Alex's forehead.

He pulls back after a moment, looking down at the elder for something, anything to reassure him that this is okay, but Alex is back to nuzzling against Jack's chest. He mumbles something, and it might be an "I'm tired" or a "Go to sleep", or maybe an "I love you".

It makes no difference. The unspoken means more than their words ever will.

It's the unspoken that keeps their arms wrapped around each other as they drift off to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
may become a series of jalex oneshots/drabbles. leave a comment c: