Status: One & only

At Your Side

One & Only Chapter

"What are you doing here?" he demands, the shock evident on his face.

The others face's echoing the same facial expressions, however Thorin's is filled with another emotion; displeasure. The cold wind blows the hair from my face, allowing me to look over them all. They all look exhausted, their journey truly taking a toll on them and their bodies.

"I called for her," a deep voice informs, cutting through the silence.

Looking at the elder wizard, Thorin demands harshly, "I did not ask for her. She will put all that we have worked for at risk."

"He is worried this journey is changing you," I exclaim, finally finding my voice. Defending Gandalf's actions, I continue, "When I heard stories of you, I believed my ears were being filled with lies. You're are not the same Thorin who began this quest for his people. You're heart is becoming cold and hard."

"Leave us," he demands to the others, his eyes locked on mine.

Fili attempts to argue, I know he wants to step in but is immediately shut down by Thorin's harsh orders, "I said leave."

"What has happened to you? The dwarf that had stolen my heart, did not have such hatred and angry within him," I enquire softly.

Ignoring my comment, he walks pass me, looking at the view pf the valley below. Turning around, I stand on top of the hill next to him. We are surrounded by the vast green trees and mountains. With his hands behind his back, he pounders for a moment before stating, "You should be at your village, where you will be safe."

I let out a sad sigh, I make the decision to not beat around the bush. Facing him, I softly inform Thorin, "The village is gone. The orcs came looking for you, aware you had been there. They burnt everything to the ground and killed all."

A mixture of disbelief and shock covers his face. I decide against telling him of how my father blamed Thorin and his ludicrous journey. I believe in Thorin, I always have believed in him. The countless nights I lay next to him, listening to the tales of his people. I would often close my eyes as I listened, I would be able picture it all from the great detail he gave.

"The world is changing my love. The evil is spreading and growing stronger day by day," I inform him. Looking into his tired eyes, I whisper, "I fear the some is happening to you."

Shaking his head, he argues, "I have not changed, I am merely doing what I must for my people, reclaiming the Lonely mountain from Smaug."

"For what price? The life of a hobbit? You're changing, I can see it in your eyes. This journey will be the end of you my love. You have the makings to be a great king! The dwarves, Gandalf and I can see that," I whisper, the last part with a small smile.

A tear rolls down my cheek as I look towards the sky, the sun beginning to set. Licking my lips, a place my hand on his cheek. He jolts back from my touch and exclaims, "Your touch feels like ice."

I look down ashamed, his eyes widened as the moon's light hits me. I feel my heart tighten as tears begin to form in his eyes, the light shines through me, showing I no longer walk among this earth with him.

"You'll forever have my heart, I wanted you to be at my side when I reclaimed my home," he whispers, his voice breaking throughout.

"Thorin," I whisper, getting his attention and causing him to look at me, "I shall always remain at your side. Death can not stop that my king."

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated. Just like when I wrote this 2 years ago, still hurts my heart.