Status: One and Done

Merry and Bright

And May All Your Christmases be White

Bobby Ryan stepped out of the locker room freshly showered, in his favorite suit, and with a gleeful grin spread across his face. It was December twenty third and they had just lost but he could not help but smile. He caught sight of his girlfriend of the last year and a half and his smile grew even wider.
"Emerson!" He called out, catching her attention. Her light blue eyes lifted to meet his and she laughed as he made his way to her.

"Why are you so happy? You just got spanked."

"I have a surprise for you, Ems."

"A surprise?” she groaned. “Bobby, you know I hate surprises."

"You'll love this one though, I promise."

"He's right, Emerson," Therese Karlson spoke up with a serene smile. "You won't be disappointed."

"You knew he was up to no good and didn't tell me?" Emerson pouted. "You're supposed to be my friend, Tre."

Therese laughed as her husband Erik joined them. "Does she know yet? Did Bobby tell her he's taking her to-" Therese slapped a hand over his mouth before he could continue.

"Taking me where? Bobby Ryan, what are you up to?"

"It's a surprise, Ems. Come on, we gotta go." He grabbed her hand and tugged her forward.

"Wait a minute," she told him. She turned to Therese and hugged her, then Erik. "Merry Christmas!" She called out to them as Bobby dragged her away.

Twenty minutes later they were pulling up to a private entrance at the airport. Bobby parked his car and grinned over at Emerson. "Come on," he said excitedly, hurrying out of the car and grabbing two suitcases. He stated for a small plane as Emerson climbed out of the car and gaped.

She hurried to catch up with Bobby and reached him as he reached the stairs. "What is this?" She asked, tugging at the sleeve of his jacket.

"A plane, Ems."

"Bobby!"

"It's our ride."

"You chartered a private plane for us?"

"I wanted to make it special for you."

"Every time I'm with you is special, silly."

"You left home for me and moved to Canada when I got traded. I owe you this Christmas."

Emerson smiled and wrapped herself around him, going on tiptoe to kiss him. "Bobby, you're all I need to make Christmas special. Not a private plane or any sort of surprise."

"I wanted you to have a white Christmas though."

"Uh, I'm not sure if you noticed but take a look around," Emerson giggled, gesturing to the snow on the ground that had been a mainstay since early December.

"This isn't the kind of white Christmas I want for you. I have something better planned. Come on." He nudged her forward and Emerson headed up the stairs and inside the cabin of the plane. Bobby left their luggage to be loaded into the plane and then followed Emerson aboard. He took a seat beside her and they fastened their seat belts to await take off.

Emerson and Bobby chatted about the game during the short flight, and forty five minutes later, the flight attendant leaned towards Bobby and spoke lowly in his ear. He nodded and thanked her before turning to Emerson.

"We'll be landing in about five minutes," Bobby told her.

"We're here already?"

"Yep."

"Are you going to tell me where we are now?"

"Welcome to Vermont, Ems."

"Vermont?"

"Vermont," Bobby affirmed.

"But...why?"

Bobby smiled. "Because were going to spend the next two days, just me and you, curled up at an inn for Christmas. Plus you know, your favorite movie in the whole world is White Christmas, which just so happens to be based in Vermont."

"Bobby!" Emerson squealed, throwing her arms around him as best she could buckled into her seat. "I can't believe you planned this. I never thought you were paying attention when I watched that."

"Of course I paid attention. There is no place in Vermont called Pine Valley though and there is no Columbia Inn so we're staying at the Red Clover in Menden which is supposed to be the closest inn to resemble what's in the movie."

"This is amazing. You're amazing."

"You're amazing, Ems. I never would've thought a girl I met on a road trip in Florida would pack up and move to Canada for me."

Emerson laughed at the memory of the night they had met as the plane began its descent. “Do you remember that night we met?” she asked him.

Bobby smiled. “How could I forget it? You and your sister singing karaoke about girl power.”

“Gotta be bold, bold and oh so strong, Get with this and you got it goin' on, On and on with the girls named spice, You wanna get with us then you'd better think twice, God help the mister, yeah God help the mister, That comes between me and my sisters!”

The two brunettes on stage were enthusiastically singing along to the music as Bobby and several of his teammates walked into the Tampa bar. Bobby shook his head as they finished their song, stepping up to the bar to order a round of beers for his teammates. His teammate at the Olympics two years prior, Ryan Malone, had told him about the bar and they were meeting him and some of his teammates here.Tomorrow they would be enemies but tonight they were just a bunch of guys who got to do something they loved for a living.

He spotted Ryan and some of his teammates first and they joined them, scattered over a few tables. He saw the two girls come off stage and walk past them for the bar. One ordered shots and passed them to the other girl, who shook her head as the talle rof the two forced the drink onto her hand. She clinked their glasses and tipped it towards her face. Bobby watched as the girl grimaced and said something to her, causing her to laugh.

“What are you looking at?” Corey Perry asked.

“Nothing,” Bobby answered quickly.

His eyes trailed Bobby’s and they landed on the two girls. “Cute,” he commented. “Why don’t you go talk to them?”

“No man. What do I need with a girl from Tampa?”

“Emerson isn’t from Tampa,” Ryan Malone spoke up. “In fact, she lives just outside of Anaheim; born and raised.”

“How do you know that?”

“I know Emerson and her sister, Megan. Wanna meet them?” Before Bobby could answer, Ryan was calling the pair over. "Ladies, you look good as always. But really? The Spice Girls?"

"Emerson's boyfriend dumped her," the one explained.

"Meggy!" She shouted, her cheeks reddening.

"He was an asshole. I'm glad he's gone."

"What brings you to Tampa, Emerson?" Ryan asked.

"My boyfriend dumped me," she smiled.

"Hey, you know, Bobby here lives and works in Anaheim." He nudged Bobby who smiled.

"You're a hockey player too?" Emerson asked, turning to study him.

"Yes, for the Ducks."

"I know who the hockey team is in Anaheim, silly. I just haven't been to a game in forever."

"You should come tomorrow. We're playing each other and you know Stammer has a crush on Meg," Ryan said.


"Stamkos still has a crush on your sister," Bobby laughed as they piled into the rental SUV that waited for them.

"She has a crush on him. All that blonde hair and blue eyes...who can blame her?" Emerson replied.

"I happen to think I am very cute " Bobby pouted.

Emerson reached across and ruffled his hair. "But Steven is so much man compacted into that body."
"But he's Canadian and I'm American and team America, fuck yeah!"

Emerson laughed. "I love you, Bobby Ryan, my American boy."

It took about an hour to reach the inn and as they pulled in front, Bobby let out a groan.

"There's no snow."

"No, there sure isn't."

"I wanted there to be snow and pine trees and... I wanted it to be perfect."

"It's still beautiful, Bobby."

"There's no snow."

"I don't care if there isn't snow. I only care about being here with you. Now let's go inside."
She hopped out and led the charge inside, Bobby following close on her heels.

"Reservation under Ryan," Bobby told the woman behind the counter. An older gentleman joined her.

“Mr. and Mrs. Ryan, we hope you'll enjoy your stay, If you need anything, you tell us. I’m the owner, General Bennett but you can call me Ron.” Beside him, Emerson squeezed his hand with a glittering smile.

“Thank you, sir,” Bobby said when the keys were passed to him.

“Can you believe he’s a retired general?” Emerson hissed as they walked towards the elevator. “This keeps getting better and better!”

“He thought you were Mrs. Ryan,” Bobby smirked.

“A girl could do worse...or better. I could be Mrs. Stamkos.” Bobby growled and Emerson laughed. “I like being fake Mrs. Ryan,” she promised.

When they reached their room, they settled in for the night quickly, the game and traveling to reach the inn catching up with Bobby and the excitement getting to Emerson. Bobby curled around Emerson and held her close as their breathing evened out and they both fell asleep.

~*~*~

Bobby and Emerson spent Christmas Eve in their room, snuggling in bed and catching up on quality time together. They ventured out for dinner downstairs and then retreated quickly back to their room after. It didn’t snow and when Bobby inquired at the front desk, he was saddened to learn none was expected.

“It hasn’t snowed since before Thanksgiving this year,” he was told.

Bobby went to bed that night wishing for snow.

Christmas morning, Emerson shook Bobby awake. He cracked one eye open and she smiled down at him. “Merry Christmas,” she said softly.

“Merry Christmas,” Bobby returned, pulling her back into his arms.

“Guess what.”

“What?”

“It snowed last night.”

“Nu-uh.”

“Yes huh. Get up and look.” Emerson rolled out of bed and threw open the curtain. Bobby followed in just his underwear and stood gaping out over the landscape before him. Miles and miles of pure white snow.

“Did you go to bed dreaming of a white Christmas, Bobby Ryan?” Emerson teased.

“As a matter of fact I did. See? Wishes do come true.”

“Sometimes. Especially when you’re standing around in your underwear.”

“I want to give you your present.”

“Is it wrapped in black boxers?”

Bobby smirked. “That’s later. Hang on a second.” He walked over to his bag and dug around for minute before finding what he was looking for and returning to Emerson’s side and leading her over to the couch in the room. He sat beside her and held her hands in his.

“You know I love you, Ems, and I hope you know how much it means to me that you moved to Ottawa for me.”

“I know, Bobby,” she smiled.

“But I want you to know I know. So I wanted to ask you something.”

“Shoot.”

“Will you be for real Mrs. Ryan and not just my fake Mrs. Ryan?” He reached behind him and pulled out the small blue box, flicking it open.

“Bobby,” Emerson whispered. She nodded her head. “Yes, yes!” she cried out, throwing her arms around him to hug him. “Can we come back here every Christmas?”

“Even when we’re old and gray, Ems.”

“Let’s go back to bed.”

“Whatever you say, Mrs. Ryan.”

“Go ahead and get used to saying that; it’ll make your whole life easier.”'

He laughed. “Anything you want, Mrs. Ryan.”

“Merry Christmas, Mr. Ryan,” Emerson sighed as she fell back onto the bed, Bobby on top of her.

“Merry Christmas, Mrs. Ryan.”

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
Eh, it's not my favorite thing I've ever written but it is complete. I probably could've done a lot better weaving the movie into this but it didn't come together for me and I wanted to get my entry in. I did try to incorporate a few things from the movie in here to bring the two together though. I had never seen it until recently but it really is a lovely film. Hope you all enjoy the holiday!