Helping Hand

Chapter Eight

"Kellin? You awake?" I bit my lip.

"I am now." Oli sighed.

"I'm sorry."

"What for?"

"I don't know. Rushing you?"

"You didn't."

"Then how come you freaked out?"

"....because I'm scared." It had always been easier to say things in the dark when you couldn't see one another. I could hear Oli breathing quietly, and the guilt that had been festering since dinner took over. I pushed the covers aside and crept into his bed. He moved quickly and placed a tentative hand on my arm.

"I'm sorry. It's nothing you did."

"Do you still want to break up?" He sounded so young for a change, and I had to snuggle closer.

"No. But I can't-"

"You don't have to. I never wanted you to, or asked it of you. It's our secret and I'm good with that. Just...if you get freaked out, you can tell me. I'm the only person who knows, you can tell me anything."

"I know....I'll try." Oli edged closer, his breath tickled my nose and I found his lips in the dark.

"Thank god...you scared me to death."

When I woke up the next morning to the sound of knocking, I groaned and snuggled in further to the warm gap between Oli's t-shirt and the duvet, when my fathers voice boomed into the room, I froze, suddenly awake. I stayed where I was, too afraid to move.

"Boys! Wake up! We're going out." Oli pushed me over him casually and slid out from underneath me, staggering out of bed.

"Where to?"

"San Francisco! Oli get up!" I awkwardly climbed out of bed and headed straight for the shower, not looking at Oli...and definitely not my father.

"So how come you two slept in the same bed last night?" I choked on my orange juice at my dad's casual tone of voice over the newspaper, my mum just looked between us with wide eyes.

"Uh, we, uh-"

"We were watching The Big Bang Theory episodes that we'd missed, must've fallen asleep." I gestured to Oli and nodded in agreement, my mum nodded slowly and returned to her fruit salad.

"So, San Fran today? Any specific plans?"

"Yes! Shopping - obviously, we're gonna driver over the big cliff...umm...you know that road that's on the cliff?-"

"Big Sur on Highway 1." Oli mumbled and she nodded excitedly.

"Yes! And of course the Golden Gate Bridge...so taking photos, and then, tomorrow we thought we could go to Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharf..?"

"Sounds good."

"Yeah actually, I wanna see Alcatraz." I quickly thought up, quietening down did nothing to quieten down my racing heart.

After breakfast Kellin ran upstairs to get his shoes, and Oli followed.
"Calm down." He muttered as the dark haired teen rushed around the room.

"I am trying!!" He hissed, Oli yanked him close and pinned him against the bed to kiss him. Kellin struggled at first, but settled against him and he pulled away slightly.

"See? You just need to relax. No one's gonna find out...and even if they did, they'd be cool, and even if they weren't cool - I'd be the one being shipped away again, not you." Kellin looked suddenly alarmed.

"What?"

"Don't say that! Don't...just don't ever say that don't ever!!!" He started shouting, oblivious now to the threat of his parents overhearing. Oli tried to gain hold of his hands but he'd stepped back.

"Ok! Ok I'm-"

"Don't say it like its...likely!! That's not fair I can't...you can't say that after they took you in and-"

"Hey. I'm sorry." Kellin was tearful and his breath shaky against Oli's skin.

"I..I'm sorry...I just can't bear the thought of losing you." He muttered it so quietly that if Oli hadn't been praying for similar words...he might not have heard it.

"Me too. I was just...I didn't mean it as a serious point." Kellin pulled back.

"But it might be though, mightn't it? If they ever find out-" Oli kissed him strongly, pushing against him but holding him fast.

"Don't build the bridge and cross it before it's even been planned. That is not going to happen." Kellin hugged him tightly and Oli chuckled.

"What?"

"Do you remember how you were a few weeks ago? Compare it to now." Kellin punched him gently.

"Guess at the time I didn't realise you were pretty cool." Oli smiled to himself before letting Kellin go.

"C'mon, let's go."

They enjoyed the day out, but Kellin's mind was constantly on edge. Things like reaching out for Oli's hand felt instinctive, and having to stop himself from doing it, and cautioning everything he said was difficult to say the least.

"Something upset you today, didn't it?" Oli sighed as they returned late that night.

"No, I'm good. Goodnight." He kissed him quickly before climbing into bed. Oli was too tired to push the point, and so he did the same.

I couldn't sleep that night, and at three o'clock I heard someone in the kitchen. I crept out of our room - trying not to wake Oli. My parents usually forgot to take a glass of water to bed and so had to get up in the middle of the night to fetch one. But as I passed their room, I could hear them snoring. Another quiet clatter in the kitchen made my stomach lurch. I moved towards it slowly, praying the cold stairs under my bare feet wouldn't creak and give my position away. I peeked round the door and sure enough, there was a hooded figure raiding the drawers. My heart thrummed heavy against my ribcage. I had nothing to arm myself with, and calling out would lose the element of surprise that I currently had. I crept round the door before hurling myself onto the figure. They stumbled forwards and I twisted an arm back as sharply as I could and slammed their head onto the work surface. The person was dazed, just giving me enough time to throw away the gun that was next to them. They turned round and tried to grapple with me, pushing me forwards, I tried to land a punch which they dodged, and then I took a hard one to the teeth. I heard movement faintly from upstairs and regained my composure, hauling the figure backwards as they tried to make a dash for the doorway - for the gun.

We grappled with one another, strength against strength trying to push the other one away. I buckled first and just managed to grab a slim ankle as the person ran for the door, sending them sprawling. We wrestled on the floor, I desperately tried to claw at them in any way I could to stop the person from reaching the gun. Suddenly my father and Oli appeared in the doorway just as I was kicked hard in the face.

"Kellin?! Kellin, honey, wake up. It's ok, I'm here."

"Nina - give him space to breathe." She knelt back slightly as her son came to. The police dragged the person - who had turned out to be a woman - out of the house kicking and screaming.

"Crazy bitch." Oli cursed, laying a hand on Kellin's knee.

"I'll say." Kellin groaned, sitting up tentatively.

"Can't believe I got beat up by a chick..."

"She's no ordinary chick, Kellin. She's wanted in several countries for murder and other offences."

"Yeah, you did good, kid. That was a brave thing." A police officer came into view.

"Well that makes it a little better...not."

"So who is she? Why did she want to come here?"

"Her name is Angelina Cosby...does that name mean anything to any of you?" I noticed the warm presence of Oli's hand gone from my leg and glanced up at him. My parents were now not paying attention to us, shaking their heads at the police officer. I tried to catch Oli's eye, but he was motionless.

"No, boys?"

"No." Oli just shook his head slowly. I poked him but he didn't pay any attention.

"Well, that's a good thing. She probably just knew you were a rich family and targeted you for the money - she was probably desperate for it. Either way, we'll be questioning her and we'll have to take statements from all of you I'm afraid. I do apologise for the inconvenience, Mr and Mrs Quinn."

"No, of course we'll help in any way we can."

"Thank you very much. Don't worry, we checked the perimeter, there's nothing else to worry about tonight. All the locks are sound, I suggest your boy gets some seeing to."

"He will, thank you, officer."

"Goodnight, folks." With that the officer left and Oli stood up, robotically helping me up the stairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooh! Have you got any theories about who this mysterious lady could be? Let me know people! ;)

I hope you enjoyed it - thank you for reading <3