Helping Hand

Nine

"Oli...who is she?"

"Who?"

"That woman." Oli busied himself with pulling back sheets and fetching clean clothes for me.

"Look at me." He sighed and stopped, leaning on the chest of drawers. I could see the tension in his shoulders.

"Who..is Angelina Cosby?" Oli flinched as her name was spoken.

"Oli please tell me. If there's something wrong I can-" My mum suddenly burst into the room with the medicine kit and a bowl of damp cloths.

"Oh Jesus....mum I'm not dying it's a few scratches-"

"Don't, Kellin! Don't!! She's a murderer and she got into our house and she-" I pulled her into a hug and she fought back tears and kissed my head.

"I'm gonna go shower, then I'll come back and sort myself out. Thank you. I'll be fine...I've got Oli." She glanced up at Oli as I spoke and nodded, wiping away her tears.

"Alright, alright. I'll go, if you need anything just shout." She touched Oli's back gently as she left, reassuring.

As she closed the door he sighed tensely.

"Oli-"

"I'm not talking about this."

"Yes...yes you are." He turned round, the anger in his eyes was so intense it almost frightened me.

"Or what?"

"She is a wanted murderer and she's done God knows what else. You are talking whether you want to or not." His jaw clenched several times before he walked up to me. I blinked nervously but he simply leant down and kissed my head.

"You can't tell anyone." Unease began to settle in my stomach but I nodded.

"Ok."

"Do you think they're ok?" Harry placed an arm around his wife and pulled her into a hug.

"They're fine. Try not to worry. Kel did good. They're tougher than you think."

"I know but I just....I don't think....oh never mind, you're right. Want a coffee?"

"Ok, thanks."

I sat back in shock and Oli rested his head on my knees, kneeling on the floor in tears.
"Kellin say something, please!!!"

"I...I don't know what to say to be honest." Oli looked up at me desperately clinging to my hands.

"I can't lose you too."

"You shouldn't have lied then." He nodded shamefully, tears dripping onto my skin.

"I know who she is....but I thought it was only my parents she wanted....apparently it wasn't."

"You knowingly put all of us in danger. I don't care about myself, but my parents-"

"I didn't know!! I swear!! I thought it was just my parents she wanted!! And she got them! I thought this was over!"

"All that stuff you told me about your mum dying-"

"Was true. She wanted to kill both of them but...mum died before she could get to her. My dad wasn't so lucky."

"Your brother?"

"Exactly as I told you. I don't even think he knows they're dead...he did leave to go travelling." I nodded slowly, trying to comprehend what he'd just told me.

"So your parents testified in her father's case?" I nodded.

"They came back over to America, to Texas, to testify. Her father got the death sentence. He was killed in a fight in the prison before he was executed. She blamed them for his death." I nodded again. I couldn't bear the pain in his eyes or the way his hands trembled against mine. I could feel his fear. His hands were clammy. He was terrified of losing me. My parents.

"Oli...is there anything else I don't know?" He shook his head violently.

"No! No, I swear."

"Ok..." I sighed heavily.

"Is there anyone else who would want to do this-"

"No. It's just her. She's alone. If she wasn't alone, if she hadn't isolated herself out of hatred and this vendetta against my family...she wouldn't be so bitter that she would've needed to kill us to make herself feel better. I swear, I never thought I was putting your family in danger. I love you. And your parents-" I hugged him tightly and I could feel his heart hammering against my chest. His tears soaked through my shirt.

"I can't lose you either, Oli. I love you too."

"You can't tell your parents."

"Why not?" I pulled him back and wiped his tears away with my thumbs, searching his eyes for an answer.

"B....because...they might not feel the same way you do-"

"Oli-"

"Their first priority is to protect you, Oli." He pulled my hands away and sat back on his heels. I didn't know what to say.

"They love you too."

"You're their son." Three words hurt more than anything else I'd ever experienced. They weren't particularly significant. But their meaning hurt.

"I guess all I can do then is ask you to come to bed with me." I pulled on the clean shirt and held out a hand. He looked at it longingly but remained where he was on the floor.

"Fine. There's a space for you when you're ready." He watched me from where he was for a long time before soeaking.

"I'm so sorry it was you."

"I'm not. If I'd've lost you...I don't know what I would've done." He blinked and shut his eyes, trying to shield himself from his feelings.

"It's true, Oli. It's too late to try and withdraw yourself from us to protect us. You're part of us now. And if I'd've lost you tonight....I couldn't handle it. Now she's in custody........"

"What?" His tone was more warning than questioning.

"You need to go to the police and tell them what happened. She'll go away for good then."

"She wasn't charged with murdering my father. Lack of evidence. They're not going to charge her based on my word."

"How do you know killed your dad?" Cold settled on my skin as Oli screwed his eyes shut.

"How?"

"Shut up, Kellin. Shut up."

"Oli."

"Don't!!" He shouted. He suddenly stood up and left angrily, leaving me shocked, my heart pounding.

He'd seen or heard it. Something. Oli was hiding something from me.

He was a witness.
♠ ♠ ♠
I must apologise for taking so long with this chapter. Thank you all so much for subscribing and commenting, you're amazing readers!!

It was so difficult trying to find exactly the right twist for this story and I believe I have found it, so I'd love to know what you think of this new development!!

Comment and let me know, you know I value your opinions guys!

Thank you ^_^