‹ Prequel: Just You

Seven Days

The Fitting

I stomped down the stairs with a frown on my face. Today was not going how I wanted and sometimes you just have to be mad at the world. I was angry with Mikayla for embarrassing me like she did; I was angry with those stupid, prissy little girls for smirking at my misfortune; I was angry with Jensen for having the gall to ask something of me.

Why should I give him even a moment of my time? The asshole dropped me like a hot potato and left me to fend for myself. It wasn’t easy moving to Austin with very little money and almost no support system. I could have failed and came very close to doing so. It was only my stubbornness that kept me from falling on my ass. And now I have a great life and he wants a part of it? No way.

I let out a resentful growl and came to the landing. Kay inspected my angry stance wearily but said nothing. Jared wasn’t as smart.

“Who pissed in your Wheaties?” He inquired with a stupid smirk on his face. My head snapped toward him with a glare.

“Your mother.” I hissed.

“Ouch.” He muttered, looking at me crossly. I rolled my eyes and turned back to Kay who was nervously shifting her weight from one foot to the other.

“Are you ready?” I asked, trying for calm and collected. I don’t think it worked, but my tone wasn’t as harsh so I didn’t completely fail.

“Yeah.” She nodded, pulled her keys from her pant pocket and led the way out of the house. We came to a silver sedan and I walked around the front to the passenger side as she unlocked the doors. “So what happened?”

“What?” I asked as we got in the car. I latched my seat belt and crossed my arms over it. She started the sedan and pulled out of the driveway before speaking again.

“You’re incredibly angry and I was just wondering if I needed to keep sharp objects away from you.” She smiled bracingly, and I cracked, laughing softly.

“That might be a good idea.” I muttered, uncoiling my arms and staring straight ahead. “I don’t know, this just wasn’t the way I thought today would go. And that ungrateful asshole decides to talk to me now? Where was he when I needed him the most? With his bitch wife, no doubt.”

“Who, Jensen?” I nodded at Kay’s question. I looked at her, observing her confused expression. “He’s divorced. Didn’t you know?” It took everything to keep my jaw from dropping. Divorced?

“No, I didn’t.” I sighed and felt horrible for how angry I became at his request. “How long?”

“About three months. They didn’t even make it a year.” Her voice held sympathy like mine held disbelief.

“Wow.” I said as she pulled up to a cream colored building. We must have arrived. I unbuckled and opened the door when I felt Kay’s hand on my shoulder. I looked over and saw she was studying my face.

“I know you’re pissed at Mikayla. You have every right to be. But please, let’s just get through this.” I smiled softly and nodded.

“Of course.” She grinned and it transformed her face. She was radiant and I tried to soak some of that positive energy in. I knew one thing was certain; Kay had a calming effect on me. I thought of my current situation and decided she was a good person to have around.

“Let’s get this show on the road!” She said, hopping out of the car. Her good mood was infectious and soon I found myself grinning. We trekked into the bridal shop to find Mikayla, Megan and the two women sitting on white poofs, obviously waiting for us.

“There you are!” Mikayla squealed. “What took you so long?”

“Traffic.” Kay shrugged without missing a beat.

“Right. Well they’re waiting for us!” She bounced from her seat and sauntered toward curtains that separated the back from the waiting area. Megan and the other women followed. Kay made a ridiculous sweeping motion with her arm, causing me giggle.

“After you.”

“Why thank you!” I sashayed behind the curtain, causing a laugh from behind me. It was much easier to pretend that I wasn’t angry when I had a friend cracking jokes with me and for that I was grateful. I stood beside Megan with a wide smile on my face as the clerk started her sales spiel. Kay came up beside me and as the clerk grabbed a heinous baby blue bridesmaid dress, we exchanged horrified looks. Then the shit hit the fan.

“Those aren’t the dresses I wanted!” Mikayla shrieked, advancing on the clerk. The woman flinched as if Mikayla was going to start swinging. Megan, sensing a nuclear disaster ahead, bounded forward and took Mikayla by the arm.

“What happened to the ones we tried on three weeks ago?” Megan asked calmly. Apparently when Megan said ‘our’ measurements, she really meant their final fitting and the taking of my measurements. It actually made complete sense, as the other women lived in LA. The dress shop would have more time to alter my dress than if all the bridesmaids ordered their dress so close to the wedding.

“These are the dresses you tried on three weeks ago, ma’am.” The clerk muttered timidly. Mikayla drew herself to her full height, eyes flashing, and started screaming.

“Those are not the dresses! My wedding colors are purple and silver, for Christ’s sake! And do you really think I would want my bridesmaids to look like rejects from Gone with the Wind?” Her voice was increasing in pitch and her hands clenched into fists at her side. That’s when I started forward. No matter how mad I was at her, I didn’t want her getting arrested for hitting some poor woman who was just doing her job.

“Miss, what’s the name on the order?” I asked politely stepping in between Mikayla and her potential victim. I gave Mikayla my back, which wasn’t so smart in a real fight, but as she was just having a Bridezillas moment, I didn’t think she would do anything stupid. The clerk looked at a piece of paper in the hand that was not holding the dress and spoke with a tremble in her voice.

“Ashley James?” I sighed as Mikayla started muttering obscenities and inquiries about the woman’s intelligence.

“The bride’s name is Mikayla Jackson.” The clerk’s eyes widened and she nodded.

“Sorry about that, ladies. I’ll be back with the right order.” I turned to face Mikayla, whose arm was being held in a death grip by Megan, and laughed.

“Damn girl. You put the fear of God in that poor woman.” Mikayla was visibly relaxing and cracked a smile.

“Sorry.”

“I don’t need an apology, but I bet you twenty bucks, the woman would cry if you gave her one.” I said, laughing. Mikayla held out her hand and I shook it.

“Deal.”
♠ ♠ ♠
It's not great but I didn't know how to make it better. Comment please!