‹ Prequel: Just You

Seven Days

Margaritas

The rest of the fitting went without a hitch. The manager stepped in, no doubt on the request of the clerk, and explained that it was the clerk’s first week. Apparently the clerk had screwed up once before, causing a fist fight to erupt between a bride-to-be and the groom’s mother. Who knew the wedding dress business would be so exciting?

We were currently at a Mexican restaurant, enjoying a few well-earned margaritas and talking. The two women who had smirked at me, Shelby and Alice, were actually pretty nice once I got to know them. They were a couple of Mikayla’s coworkers who welcomed her to the job with open arms. Medical billing wasn’t exactly a cutthroat business, but Mikayla seemed to have a difficult time making friends. They said it was because the men were chauvinistic pigs and the rest of the women were uptight bitches. Kay worked at the doctor’s office as well, and she agreed wholeheartedly.

I took a sip of my margarita as the conversation turned to our sex lives. Shelby and Megan were single, Alice and Kay, married for a few years.

“What I’m telling you now girl, you need to get creative in the sack. I know you’re satisfied now, but give it a few years and you’ll be bored.” Alice was telling Mikayla, causing Mikayla to giggle.

“A few years? Sometimes I don’t get any for a few months!” The circle went quiet and she looked down guiltily. “Well, he’s busy filming for half of the year! I mean, I usually go to Vancouver but now that I started at the clinic, I won’t be able to!”

“So take some vacation time and fly up there when he doesn’t expect it! Show up in his trailer and bang the bejeezus out of him in between takes.” Kay said, causing the rest of us to laugh. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I pulled it out. There was a text from an unknown number and I opened it.

Hey Angel, I hope you’re having a good time. Meet me at Jared’s at eight tonight. Jay

I let out an exasperated sigh and Mikayla raised an eyebrow.

“Trouble in paradise already?” She asked and I looked at her, confused. “Wasn’t that Adam?”

“Oh, no. It was Jensen. He wants to talk to me tonight for some reason.” I said, shrugging. Her eyes got wide and she choked a little on a particularly large piece of ice.

“And you agreed? Does Adam know about this?” She asked as her throat unstuck.

“Why does it matter? It’s just Jensen.” She rolled her eyes dramatically at my statement.

“Yeah, it’s just the guy you’ve had a crush on for years.” She said sardonically.

“Sarcasm doesn’t suit you, ma’am, and I haven’t had a crush on him for quite a while. I’m perfectly happy with my fiancé, thank you very much.”

“I heard he found his ex-wife cheating and that’s why they broke up.” Shelby interjected. One thing I didn’t like about Shelby was that she seemed to love gossip.

“That’s not true. Danneel wouldn’t have done that.” I shook Shelby’s comment off with a wave of my hand. Mikayla, on the other hand, looked around awkwardly. “She didn’t?” It was more of a question than a statement and Mikayla treated it as such.

“Only once that I know of, but once was enough for Jensen. They were having a lot of fights and he stayed over quite a bit. I guess enough was enough and he called it off.” I bit my lip and looked down at my phone. Should I tell Adam?

“I’m sure it’s nothing. He probably wants to catch up, that’s all.” Kay said, patting my arm to reassure me. I gave her a small smile and nodded.

“Yeah, he’s not stupid enough to try anything. I mean, I’m engaged.” I threw an unsure glance toward Mikayla, who returned it. Great.