Frozen Heart

Chapter 15

The mountain was still as death, not even a breath of wind disturbing the icy slopes.

The chill was strong enough to burn a man’s lungs from the inside-out, and the snow was piled so high a grown man would have no choice but to wade through the freezing slush to make any headway.

Clinging to the narrow peak, a shining palace stood guard, sunlight refracting off the ice-made walls to blind any who happened to be looking.

Spires twisted up to the sky, delicate as spun glass, and massive doors stood closed to any possible visitors, the intimidating visages of polar bears and wolves warning them not to enter.

Approaching the icy structure, Jose Porla ignored all of these signs, intent on his goal.

The doors slammed open with a burst of dark magic, revealing an immense room, a pair of delicate staircases curving into the far wall leading further inside, framing the throne that sat across from the entrance.

Lounging on said throne, one leg crossed over the other and chin propped on a lazy fist, Hiroyuki calmly took in her new guest.

“Snow Queen.” Jose greeted her, slick as oil. “It is a pleasure to finally meet you face to face.”

“You did not come here to exchange pleasantries with me.” She replied, voice calm as the empty expanse of a tundra. “What brings you to my door, Jose Porla?”

“I have a proposition for you.” The Wizard Saint answered, dropping the formalities easily. “One I’m sure you will find very…entertaining.”

“That would be for me to decide.” Hiroyuki stated coolly. “But I am curious. What sort of proposition do you have in mind?”

Jose smiled, as if she had already agreed to his plan, and the sentiment did not go unnoticed.

“I require your help in…disposing of a mediocre guild and it’s members.”

The silence became icy, and her voice dropped to the low register of a distant snowstorm, a warning.

“And what guild would this be, that would deserve my wrath?”

“Fairy Tail.”

The silence that followed was deadly cold, and Hiroyuki slowly rose from her throne.

“No.”

Jose blinked, genuinely surprised.

“What?”

“No.” She repeated, like the rumble of thundersnow during a blizzard. “Fairy Tail has done nothing to earn destruction, least of all by my hand.”

The guild master of Phantom Lord shivered as the temperature dropped, so cold it burned, and her voice echoed with the unearthly howls of a blizzard.

“The guild and it’s members are under my protection, Jose Porla, and any attack against them will be considered a direct assault on me.”

She was every inch the feared Snow Queen, the ruler of winter and mistress of all it’s dangers, and not someone even the Magic Council would cross, willingly or otherwise.

Leave. Before I decide to rid the world of you now rather than later.”

Jose took a moment to take the woman in, almost excited at the prospect of a fight, before hiding it behind a sly smile.

“As you wish, your majesty.”

Hiroyuki waited until he had entered the brewing storm outside before waving her hand, the doors closing and locking out the only visible signs of her rage.

Standing alone in her throne room, with the muffled shriek of wind for company, she could only sigh.

What had Fairy Tail gotten itself into…?