Frozen Heart

Chapter 17

When Gajeel had first been told of his new job to stake out Fairy Tail, he was understandably upset.

There were many other things he would rather be doing than spying on those weaklings, and he said as much before having to go do it anyway.

The Dragon Slayer’s mood was dark, stewing over the injustice of it all, when a familiar scent caught his attention.

Pine and sky and flowers

And there she was, floating on a stray breeze towards the guild’s doors, staff slung lazily over her shoulders.

Gajeel almost choked in surprise, wide-eyed.

What was she doing here?

She paused just at the threshold, turning around, and he went still as her gaze swept over the rooftops.

A frown tugged at her mouth, almost like a pout.

“Could have sworn…”

“Jack!”

The other girl’s voice immediately pulled her attention away from his hiding spot, and the Dragon Slayer let out a relieved breath at the timely distraction.

“Hey, Levy! Where are Tweedledee and Tweedledum?”

Choking on a laugh, the blue-haired girl shoved half-heartedly on Jack’s shoulder, puffing up her cheeks in mock-anger.

“Jack!”

She just laughed, the sound like wind through bells, not the least bit repentant.

“Sorry, sorry.” She appeased, still giggling. “But really, where are they?”

“Mira sent them out on errands.” Levy admitted, hazel eyes downcast. “And I don’t really want to be alone right now…”

Jack’s grin softened around the edges with affection, and Gajeel recognized that look because that was his smile, the one she always gave him, and no one else deserved it!

But when Levy returned that smile shyly, a blush dusting her cheeks, he could only stare, as awestruck as if he was watching the moon dance around the sun.

As they entered the guild hall and disappeared behind the closing doors, Gajeel huffed, looking away as his own face heated up.

There were worse people to share her with