Frozen Heart

Chapter 19

Despite all her speed, all of her wishing and pleading, Jack was too late.

The back alley was badly damaged, walls crumbling and gravel uprooted, rain still sprinkling and leaving a heavy mist to hang in the air.

Levy was sprawled on the ground, the red bright against her pale skin and damp hair, and the sight made Jack choke on a sob.

“L-Levy!”

Dropping into the pinkish puddle, and ignoring how it splashed all over her bare legs, she pressed a sleeve-covered hand to the poor girl’s bruised cheek.

“Oh Levy…”

She was a mass of bruises and cuts and abrasions, covered in mud and splintered wood from the obstacles she had obviously been thrown through.

Those hazel eyes fluttered open, hazy with pain, and a smile pulled at the edges of her split lips.

“Jack…”

Taking in a shuddering breath, the winter-girl nodded.

“Y-Yeah, it’s me, Levy. I’m…I’m here.”

The Solid Script Mage nodded weakly, gaze still only half-focused, as Jack moved to lift her into a bridal carry.

“I’m sorry…I…couldn’t stop them…”

“There’s nothing for you to be sorry for.” Jack insisted, taking to the air at a slower pace than she normally would and heading straight for the guild.

Levy was silent for a bit after that, the wind against her face slowly restarting her brain as it struggled to compute all the signals her body was sending.

And tell Jack Frost what happens when you mess with Phantom Lord next time you see her.”

The memory sent a shudder through Levy’s heart, the pain of her cracked ribs flaring at the reminder, and she whimpered.

“J-Jack…”

She looked down at the girl in her arms with obvious concern, hair damp from the drizzle and sweater wet with pinkish blood.

This girl, who had done so much for her and her guild, was now in danger because of them

“I-I’m so sorry…” Levy sobbed, blinded by hot tears. “I-I…never wanted you to get hurt…”

Oh, but those words hit hard, and Jack could only tighten her hold, speeding over the rooftops back to Fairy Tail as her heart cracked.

Because, damn it, she was the one who was supposed to say that.