Frozen Heart

Chapter 27

No matter what she did, they refused to come out.

Jack dunked her favorite blue sweater back into the river, grumbling under her breath as she scrubbed at the bloodstains.

The water ran clean through the fabric, not even the faintest bit pink despite the remaining stains, and she hung her head with a sigh.

Damn…”

Tossing the sodden fabric back onto the grass, Jack settled on her haunches, gaze settling on her reflection.

“Can’t keep flying around in borrowed clothes…”

Stretching out her arms and back, she released a yawn, reluctant.

“Guess it’s time to get a new outfit.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A bar and tables had been set up within the new boundaries of Fairy Tail’s incomplete guildhall, a place for meal breaks and rest amid the construction.

Mirajane was in charge of preparing meals and drinks for everyone, keeping an eye out for any overly-intoxicated members to keep anyone from hurting themselves.

Sitting at one of the more remote tables, the Iron Dragon Slayer nursed a beer as he watched others mingle.

With Salamander and his team gone on some sort of vacation, things were fairly calm.

A fight hadn’t broken out in at least half an hour, at least.

Unfortunately, the lack of commotion allowed his thoughts to drift, mostly to snowflake and her little bookworm.

No one had seen them in days…

Shaking his head, Gajeel swallowed the thought with a mouthful of alcohol, growling.

Damn it, but this guild was already making him soft

A cold breeze swept through, immediately distracting the Dragon Slayer as an unexpected weight struck his side, arms wrapping around his torso in a hug.

“Gajeel! You’re here!”

With a good squeeze, Jack pulled back, giving him some room to reorganize his scrambled brain and turn around with a frown.

“’Course I’m here, Snowie-”

Choking on his words, Gajeel tore his eyes away, fighting down the gush of blood that started dripping from his nose.

Holy crap

Unlike her old baggy sweater, the blue top Jack wore was sleeveless and fit snugly over her generous chest, ending high up her neck and low of her hips, shimmering with telltale frost on the edges.

Dark grey leggings hugged strong legs all the way down to her ankles, hiding some of the white wrappings that peeked out to cover her feet.

Actually, she was much more covered now, with even her arms wrapped from fingertips to shoulders, but…

Well, the outfit certainly made no effort to hide anything.

“Jeez, are you alright?” Jack worried, floating up to fuss over the blood leaking from Gajeel’s nose. “Did you hit your nose earlier or something?”

Before the Dragon Slayer could formulate a response, he noticed how close her chest was to his face and-

Jack squeaked as he promptly fainted from the massive amount of blood he proceeded to lose, scrambling to catch him.

“Gajeel?!”

Watching from his seat on the bar, Makarov nodded sagely in understanding, nose already plugged with tissues.

He had assumed the revelation, whenever it occurred, would have such an effect.

Now if he could just convince Jack to pose for a few pictures