Frozen Heart

Chapter 32

Mages all over Fiore were very aware that Jack knew everything when it came to the country’s children.

She made it her express business to know every child personally, from nicknames to favorite games, and did not take kindly to anyone making them so much as sniffle without good cause.

Anyone who wanted to work with kids, from teachers to babysitters, went through her first, whether they believed it or not.

Jack had snowed out more classrooms than she had towns in the last hundred years, mostly as a protest against unqualified educators, and the system had quickly learned to heed her warnings.

So, when a job request for an emergency substitute on a field trip around Magnolia was taken, Jack was understandably concerned.

Don’t get her wrong, the winter guardian adored Fairy Tail, but she was also extremely aware of their destructive habits.

At least Natsu and his team were still on vacation

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gliding over the rooftops, Jack frowned up at the sky, muscles twitching along her back.

The wind twisted around her in nervous tendrils, sending little pinpricks all across her skin that set the winter guardian one-edge.

Something was wrong

A tangle of childish voices immediately stole Jack’s attention, and she twisted around to see what all the fuss was about.

The group was rather small, likely no more than fifteen children in total, chatting happily amongst themselves as they followed…

Gajeel?

Pausing in midair, head tilting like curious puppy, she watched the normally-gruff Dragon Slayer balance an excited five-year-old boy on one shoulder while leading a slightly younger girl along by the hand, pointing out important buildings for them and explaining their functions.

The children were just so excited and happy, with even Gajeel making no effort to hold onto his signature scowl today, and the whole thing just made Jack smile.

So cute

“Hey, guys.”

The entire group whipped around, eyes widening in surprise and growing delight as Jack slung her staff over both shoulders, grin lopsided and easy.

“Nice day for a fieldtrip, huh?”

“Jack!” The children squealed, practically vibrating as they tackled her legs with enthusiastic hugs.

“You’re here!”

“Where have you been?”

“I learned how to count to thirty! Wanna see?”

Giggling at their exuberance, she skillfully answered all their questions, detaching herself gently from their grasps to approach the somewhat-flustered Iron Dragon Slayer.

“You seem to be having a good time.” She noted, affection softening her smile at the sputtering, blushing man’s awkwardness.

“Snowie! I-I was just-!”

“Hey, relax.” Jack soothed, a comforting touch on his arm shutting Gajeel right up and worsening his blush. “Just thinking about how I was worrying over nothing.”

“…What?”

The winter-girl did her level best not to laugh at the adorably confused expression on the Dragon Slayer’s face.

“Well, when I heard someone from Fairy Tail had taken the job of watching these kids and I didn’t know who, you can imagine the nightmares.”

Mock-shuddering at the thought, she let a smile through at Gajeel’s laugh, which shook the giggling little boy perched on his shoulder.

“Afraid Salamander would have?”

“Who do you think starred in my nightmares?” She joked, wind whistling around her feet in silent laughter.

The little girl squeaked, hiding behind Gajeel’s leg without releasing her hold on his hand, drawing her attention downward.

“Hi, sweetie.” The winter-girl greeted gently, crouching to be more eye-level with the small brunette child. “I’m Jack Frost. What’s your name?”

“Emiko…” The girl whispered, big tawny eyes widening in wonder as she realized who this was.

“It’s nice to meet you, Emiko.” Jack assured. “Are you having fun?”

Nodding quickly, Emiko tugged happily on the large hand she was still holding, a huge smile taking shape.

“Uh huh! Big brother is really nice!”

Oh, but that was adorable, especially when Gajeel huffed and looked away, the blush on his face obvious even to the other child held in place on his shoulder.

Refusing to squee in public, Jack swallowed the sound and nodded.

“That’s good to hear.”

Floating up to be even with Gajeel, more-or-less, she bit back a smile and faced the assembled kids with a mischievous look.

“You guys don’t mind if I come with for the rest of the day, do you?”

For a split second, the group shared a scheming look before urging her to stay all at once, eager to get moving.

Gajeel mumbled under his breath as the pair in his grip started bouncing, but made no attempt to stop any of them.

He kinda wanted snowflake to come along too, anyway

“Come on, then.” Jack voiced, taking the Dragon Slayer’s hand to tug him along, one of her sweetest smiles pointed his way. “We’re losing daylight!”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hidden in the shadows of a nearby alley, a man flicked the glowing ashes off his cigarette, gaze tracking the white-haired Spirit-girl calmly.

A wicked smile took shape as he realized where they were headed, the tip of his cigarette flaring.

Perfect.”