Frozen Heart

Chapter 34

By the time Gajeel realized he was no longer supporting her weight and blinked once, the battle was over.

If Jack had been deadly-swift before, it was nothing compared to her after taking that blow.

Even with one bum arm, she was a whirlwind of wood and ice, no longer even attempting to dodge as she tore through spells to reach her targets.

The sturdiest Earth Magic proved a flimsy defense, and the strongest Lightning spells failed to so much as slow her down.

Once the dust settled, thirty dark mages were scattered across the damaged turf, unconscious or groaning in pain.

Standing over them, Jack scowled as she realized the blonde had escaped.

Damn

Adrenaline fading now that the threat was neutralized, she winced as her body throbbed in retaliation for the rough treatment.

Besides her badly-burned arm, a sharp pain in her side hinted at damaged ribs, not to mention the grinding feeling of her opposite shoulder or the twisted feeling in one knee, and bruises were blossoming everywhere in ugly dark colors through the tears in her clothes.

The wind cooed as it wound around her ankles, as if to ask if she was alright, and she gave a distracted nod.

“Snowie!”

Blinking up at Gajeel, her brow knit together in confusion, pulling on the scrape that stretched from her cheek and temple.

“When did you…?”

Oh, but she was out of it, vision blurring in a way it never had after such a short skirmish.

Even if her magic was focusing more on healing, it never should have…

The darkness receded as suddenly as it had come, and Jack blinked sleepily as she was lifted into strong arms, a growl rumbling against her skin.

“Don’t you dare go to sleep!” Gajeel demanded, every sense in overdrive.

Was she out of magic?

Was she sick?

She didn’t smell
-

At that moment, he smelled something bitter in her scent that had never been there before.

With Jack’s head safely tucked against his chest, Gajeel ran a hand down her back, pausing at the feel of cold metal against his fingertips.

A needle.

It was slick with some sort of potion or poison, but he pulled it out after a few stubborn tries, growling at the jerk and tired whine Jack let out at the action.

“Come on, Snowie, stay awake.”

“Sleepy…” She muttered, curling into a little ball with his arms supporting her thighs. “Can’t…”

Tightening his grip as the winter-girl went lax against him, Gajeel looked towards the children, mind racing with what to do.

Jack needed medical attention, and there was no time to get them home…

“Come on.” The Dragon Slayer ordered, snapping the group out of their shock. “We’re heading to Fairy Tail.”