Frozen Heart

Chapter 37

Despite Jack’s assurances, time was proving to be a poor remedy.

She had used more magic than necessary defeating those dark wizards, and lack of sleep ate away at what was left as fear mangled her control.

Even the short stretches of rest were being interrupted with hallucinatory terrors, and she had frozen more than one person in her blind panic, normally Jet or Droy.

It seemed that raised voices, even ones she was familiar with, triggered a violent relapse of poisoned fear.

The only ones to escape being made into popsicles were Gajeel and Levy, who did their level best to never leave her side after the first few such instances.

Yes, seeing the two annoyances frozen in comical poses was amusing, but Gajeel would have enjoyed it more if Jack did not look quite so guilty afterwards.

Levy brought piles of books to the chilly hospital room every chance she got, pouring over the old tomes in search of an antidote with her Gale-Force Glasses and pointedly oblivious to anything but the text before her.

Then again, all Jack had to do was sigh and the Script Mage zeroed in on her like a puppy that had heard it’s master whistle.

Gajeel would have teased her about it if he didn’t do the exact same thing.

Frowning to himself, the Dragon Slayer watched Jack doze, curled up like a cat in a patch of sunlight, with the soothing sound of turning pages slowly lulling him to sleep.

It was a rare moment of quiet, like the eye of the storm, and God knew she deserved every second.

Damn it, but he was getting soft

Humming under her breath, Jack twisted and stretched out, eyes closed as her wrapped foot pressed against Levy’s knee and her hand pawed at the blankets.

Not finding what she was looking for, a little frown settled on her face as she whined.

“Gajeel?”

Damn it, but the way she said his name tugged at every heartstring he had, and Gajeel took hold of her covered hand with a squeeze.

“Right here, Snowie.”

Relaxing, Jack cracked one eye open, a smile pulling at her mouth.

“Thought you’d run off…” She admitted, tired.

“Ain’t getting rid of me that easily.” The Iron Dragon Slayer promised, warming up on the inside when the smile grew, even as she slipped off.

“Hoped so…”

After a few moments, Gajeel looked up, a smirk taking shape as he noticed Levy running her fingers over a covered ankle, shoulders relaxing and eyes trained on the book in her lap.

Maybe going soft wouldn’t be so bad, considering the company