Frozen Heart

Chapter 3

Mount Hakobe was one of the most well-known mountain peaks surrounding Magnolia, often toted as the home of the Snow Queen’s icy castle.

While the peak had once held up the mythical building, in truth, all of the surrounding mountains boasted the same claim.

Wizards were well aware that the Snow Queen constantly moved her home from place to place, an attempt to keep people from foolishly climbing the mountains for bets or to ask questions.

There was only one person in all of Fiore that knew where the castle was at any given time, and she was not exactly an easy person to find either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Completely unconcerned with the harsh winds and blinding snow, the Snow Queen overlooked her domain in silence, white cape fluttering in the breeze like snowy wings.

Tall and regal, she was encased in sleek white armor, blue fractal patterns lining each plate and tipping the sharp points on her shoulders and elbows, helmet and darkened visor hiding her expression from anyone who cared to look.

A yell and crash echoed through the turbulent air, and her head turned minutely, silent as a statue.

When no other sounds came, she folded her arms, an almost weary sigh escaping.

Children…”

The wind picked up, shimmering with diamond dust, and she disappeared, not a trace of her presence left behind.

Honestly, how these people survived without her

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Vulcan’s nest was in shambles, said monster swinging an ax at Natsu’s head.

Lucy shivered as the temperature dropped, squeaking at the imposing woman suddenly standing behind her, arms crossed as diamond dust dissipated around her feet.

“The Snow Queen!” Happy shouted, startled.

That drew the ape monster up short, and he stared at the armored figure in horror, the ax dropping from his hands in shock.

“Sn-Snow Qu-Queen!”

Natsu stared, awed, before a grin spread across his face.

Jackie took care of it, alright.

“What have I told you about harming humans?”

The woman’s voice was harsh as a howling winter wind, as ice scraping against stone, and Lucy paled, a shudder racing down her spine.

It was like facing the personification of a blizzard!

The Vulcan shivered like a leaf, absolutely terrified, stumbling over excuses in an attempt to save himself.

“Enough.”

The word was said softly, but a frightened silence followed from the Vulcan, who sensed the restrained fury behind it.

“Release him.”

The monstrous ape puffed up, as if about to argue, but the cold intensified, causing even Natsu to shiver at the extreme temperature.

Release him. Before I become truly upset.”

Lucy gaped, dumbfounded.

And what is she now, annoyed?!

Whatever had caused his resistance was caused, and the Vulcan whimpered like a kicked puppy before doing as told.

In a flash of light, the monster vacated his host, leaving behind a rather battered Macao on the iced floor, unconscious.

“Macao!” Natsu shouted, dropping to one knee beside the man at the sight of his injuries. “Macao, wake up!”

The Snow Queen approached calmly, her approach causing the Dragon Slayer to fall silent and eye her warily.

She kneeled by Macao’s other side, resting a gloved hand on his neck silently.

After a few moments, she pulled back, and the air gradually warmed from it’s blood-chilling temperature.

“He’s badly hurt, but alive.” She assured, voice like softly rattling icicles now. “Get him off the mountain as soon as possible, and he should make a full recovery.”

The armored woman stood, already turning away to leave, but Natsu leapt up with a shout.

“Wait!”

Lucy practically started hyperventilating as that imposing figure paused, hoping that he was not about to piss off someone that had just intimidated that monster into giving up with only a handful of words.

“Jackie asked you to come, didn’t she?” The Dragon Slayer questioned, serious.

“…You all fear me, and with good reason.” The Snow Queen noted, tilting her head as if to look over her shoulder as a breeze lifted her snowflake-patterned cape like a snapping tail. “But you forget that I am also the threshold that holds back all of winter’s monsters.”

With that, a whirlwind of diamond dust rose up and she was gone, leaving behind a confused Natsu and relieved Lucy, both of whom were wondering the same thing.

What just happened?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sipping on his beer quietly, Makarov stayed silent as Jack floated down next to him, staff hugged close and eyes distant as she watched Romeo greet his father down the road.

Neither spoke, just watching the scene unfold, until he decided to speak up.

“I hope you didn’t go too hard on those boys.”

Tilting her head, she gave a little half-smile in response, unrepentant.

“Course not, squirt.”

Makarov smiled, word having spread quickly of an iced alleyway and three boys stuck in a dumpster, and swallowed his laughter.

“Of course…”

Chin propped on a fist, Jack’s smile softened at Romeo’s happy tears and his father’s relief.

Yeah, it had definitely been worth it.