Frozen Heart

Chapter 43

Jack was honestly surprised at how happy everyone was about her being awake.

Levy got all teary-eyed, Gajeel practically crushed her in a hug, Mirajane brought plate after plate of chocolate sweets, Elfman kept shouting about how he was right about her manliness, Cana stayed sober long enough to actually visit, Natsu almost set the bed on fire in his excitement and anger at missing the action, Grey muttered about how he was glad things turned out well, Erza offered to teach her sword fighting, Lucy about broke down in tears, even Happy could only look up at her with big watery eyes and ask if she was alright…

With the sudden influx of visitors, the doctor was more than happy to discharge her after only a day in the hopes of reducing any possible property damage.

Makarov, however, was not willing to let Jack go free quite so easily.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Oh come on!” Jack whined, pouting from the hospital bed. “I’m fine! Good as new! Better than ever!”

Clearly unimpressed, Makarov poked her bandaged belly.

Flinching at the sharp pinpricks of pain against the half-healed wound, Jack instinctively curled around the source, choking on a gasp.

Gajeel’s hackles rose, though he forced himself not to intervene.

All of them were in agreement that Jack was not well enough to be on her own, and if this would get the point across…

“Don’t be ridiculous, Jack.” Makarov scolded, like a father trying to reason with his rebellious child. “You’re in no condition to go gallivanting around, especially with that dark guild still around.”

Pouting, Jack slowly settled back on the pillows.

“Alright, alright…” She huffed, resigned.

“Good.” The diminutive wizard chirped, pleased. “Someone will walk you home and stay with you until you’re fully healed.”



Levy tilted her head, curious, at the silence that came from the Winter Spirit, which was mirrored on the rest of the guild members’ faces.

“Jack?” Mirajane voiced, her normally sunny demeanor momentarily subdued. “Is something wrong?”

“No, nothing’s wrong.” Jack assured, the smile on her face sheepish and hesitant. “It’ll just be hard for someone to walk me home when I don’t have one.”



WHAT?!”

Wincing at the volume, she rubbed the ringing from both ears as she grumbled.

“And there’s the reason I probably never mentioned it…”

“What do you mean you don’t have a home?!” Erza demanded to know.

“That I…don’t have one?”

“Why?” Grey pressed, just as upset.

“Never saw the point.” Jack admitted, shrugging. “I’m always flying around, so I’m rarely in the same place long enough to make one. Trees are plenty comfortable, anyway.”

Makarov, for one, could not help but feel immensely guilty.

All these years, no one had ever bothered to ask

“I’ll take her.”

A majority of the guild gave themselves whiplash, staring at Gajeel in disbelief.

Even Levy, who had more experience with the Iron Dragon Slayer than most, was surprised at his offer.

Scowling at all his flabbergasted guildmates, Gajeel looked to the winter-girl instead.

“Not like you’ll be in the way or anything.” He mumbled, unsure. “There’s an extra room. Nothing fancy, but it’s got a bed at least.”

After a moment, Jack nodded, frost glittering across her cheeks.

“I’d…I’d like that.” She admitted shyly.

Almost the entire female population fought to contain their squeals at the sight.

Rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly, the Dragon Slayer averted his eyes and huffed in a vain attempt to hide his blush.

“Whatever…”

Makarov nodded, approving.

Gajeel was a strong mage, and it was obvious he cared about Jack, so there was no reason to refuse.

“So Jack will stay with Gajeel.”

The Wizard Saint’s smile was a touch mischievous as he turned to Levy.

“As long as Levy goes by to check on her progress every now and then.”

The Script Mage nodded rapidly, flushing at her own eagerness, and Makarov smiled.

“Then it’s settled.” He declared, pleased. “Now everyone out! How’s anyone supposed to breath with so many people in here?”