Frozen Heart

Chapter 44

Gajeel lived in a cabin on the edge of Magnolia, sitting just within the trees and camouflaged by ivy.

It was a bit worn-down, the cheery colors and bright bricks dulled with age, but looked rather cozy in Jack’s opinion.

There was a small living room just inside, with the comfiest old leather couch and a beat-up coffee table as the main features.

On the left stood a kitchen, separated by a counter and stools, that held a rumbling refrigerator and dirty stove, a window over the wide sink letting in green-dappled sunlight.

A short hallway branched out on the right leading to three wooden doors, one of which was open just enough to reveal the deep tub and separate shower within.

In every corner stood piles of metal odds and ends, some taller than Jack, and that was enough to mark the place as the Iron Dragon Slayer’s home.

“Like I said, it ain’t much.” Gajeel muttered as Jack floated in, curious. “Mostly just use it for sleeping.”

“That’s a shame.” She admitted, letting out a happy little sigh as wind deposited her on the couch gently. “It’s really nice.”

Flushing at the praise, the Dragon Slayer muttered something about making herself at home as he disappeared into the hallway to drop off the massive bag of new clothes he had carried from the guild.

All of the girls had pitched in to get a wardrobe for their nomadic friend, despite her protests, and Jack had more clothes now than in the last two hundred years of her existence.

Pulling down the snowflake-patterned t-shirt to cover the bandages, she flexed her fingers in the long white gloves, frowning.

It had been centuries since a wound had taken so long to heal

Shaking the thoughts away, the winter guardian lifted her head at the Dragon Slayer’s return, tired.

“Mind if I take a bath and turn in?” Jack mumbled, rubbing her eyes with a yawn.

Damn it, but he could never say no when she was being so adorable

“Go ahead, Snowie.” Gajeel replied, motioning back towards the hallway he had just exited. “Ain’t gonna stop you.”

Smiling appreciatively, the winter-girl bobbed up on a breeze to press an icy kiss to his cheek.

“Thanks.” She murmured, drifting towards the bathroom and completely oblivious to the shock on the Slayer’s face. “See you tomorrow.”

Once the door had closed and the water started with a rattling of pipes, Gajeel remembered how to breathe.

Images of her in his bathroom, uncovering all that smooth chocolaty skin, bubbled up and were ruthlessly shoved back down.

Jack was hurt, and the last thing she needed was him perving on her!

Cursing under his breath, he stalked into the kitchen, resolute in focusing on food instead of the girl in his bathroom.

Gajeel smacked his forehead on the fridge, growling in frustration.

This is gonna be a long few weeks