Frozen Heart

Chapter 4

Jack could admit, at least to herself, that she often played favorites.

Some cities got more snow days than others, some guilds knew more about her than most, and some wizards got a larger portion of her attention than everyone else.

Case in point

“Are you sure? I know this isn’t everyone’s idea of fun…”

Peering up from the mountain of books before her, Levy gave the other girl a sheepish smile, apparently oblivious to the snoring from her teammates a couple tables over.

“Hey, I’m having plenty of fun!” Jack argued, crossing her legs to hover by her side with a grin. “So, are you reading for work or pleasure?”

Brightening at the prospect of company, Levy smiled, cheeks warming.

“Actually, this is a little side-project I’m starting on.” She admitted, gesturing to the piles of notes that had already been made. “I was thinking about how a lot of the stories I was told as a child actually have some basis in fact, and wondered just how much of them are true.”

“Really?” Jack wondered, leaning forward to read the titles more carefully. “Like what stories?”

“Well, like the story of the Snow Queen.” Levy noted, oblivious to the sudden stillness of her companion. “She’s obviously real, but what exactly can she do? Is she really cursed? If so, what’s the extent of it? What do you think?”

The Solid Script Mage fell silent, taking in Jack’s distant eyes, worry overcoming her excitement.

“Jack?”

Jerking upright, the white-haired girl blinked away the fog in her eyes, sending her friend a sheepish smile.

“Sorry! Got a little lost in thought there.” She assured, hoping to erase the concern in those hazel eyes. “Why don’t I help out? A fresh set of eyes can’t hurt.”

Levy stayed silent for a moment, taking in the tired eyes and the sad tilt of her mouth, and that little seed of worry took root in her chest.

But there was something earnest there, too, so the Solid Script Mage shoved it back with a smile.

Jack would tell her eventually.

“Sure! I was thinking of going through this book first…”