Frozen Heart

Chapter 56

A grand, castle-like structure, the Fairy Tail guildhall towered over the surrounding buildings, proudly displaying it’s banners to all who looked.

The entrance was guarded by a brick wall and wrought iron gate, but this meant little when both the gate and the massive front doors were wide open.

Greatly concerned, Jack swooped through the arc, pausing halfway across the gap as she realized someone was standing in the doorway.

“Squirt!”

Snapping to attention, Makarov stared up at the floating half-Spirit in awe.

“Jack?”

“What the hell’s going on?!” She demanded, fierce. “Why is everyone fighting each other?! Why aren’t you stopping them?!”

“It’s part of Laxus’ plan.” The diminutive mage admitted, resigned. “He had Freed put up rune enchantments all over Magnolia in a twisted game to weed out those he sees as weak.”

Jack scowled, taking all of this in with mounting anger.

How could they have gotten such a tight-knit group to turn on each other like this? There was no way-

Her gaze landed on the stage, and her insides twisted into knots.

All of the female guild members had been turned to stone.

The pieces clicked into place, and her anger morphed into icy rage.

Evergreen had turned them to stone and Freed had put up the rune barriers and Bixlow had gone along for the ride and Laxus had planned all of it-

Closing her eyes against the sight of Levy’s state-still and frozen and not alright-, Jack felt her staff creak ominously.

Laxus was forcing others to play a very dangerous game, and she did not appreciate that one bit.

Watching from his post by the petrified Levy, Gajeel could feel the angry pulse of her magic in the air, like an approaching storm.

“Snowie.”

Those bright blue eyes caught his, shards of ice glinting where soft snowflakes usually glittered.

Gajeel could admit, if only to himself, that Jack Frost was a terrifying sight when angry.

“Any ideas on how to get us out?”

Frowning in thought, she studied the rune enchantment on the doorway.

“I’m not any good at Letter Magic.” Jack admitted. “That’s more…”

The sentence was left unfinished, but even Natsu knew how it ended.

“The only way to save them is to defeat Laxus and the Thunder God Tribe before the hour is up.” Makarov explained. “It’s been nearly thirty minutes…”

Glaring at the dark runes, the winter guardian came to a decision.

“I’m going to get her.”

Makarov nodded, grave.

“Go.”

With one last glance to the two most important people in her world, Jack shoved down the tears and turned away, taking off towards the mountains.