Frozen Heart

Chapter 58

Laxus woke up hours later out in the forest, sun setting in a sea of reds and golds before his eyes.

Sitting up slowly, he hissed at the aches that made themselves known before realizing all of them were carefully bandaged.

Who…?

“Finally woke up, huh?”

Sitting on the thick roots of a tree, arms wrapped around her knees and staff held loosely in one hand, Jack watched him with big, sad eyes.

“Not that I blame you for sleeping so long. You got pretty beat up.”

Frowning, Laxus looked down at his wrapped hands.

“You…?”

“Didn’t do too good a job.” She replied, looking away. “Had some practice wrapping myself up, at least. You should be fine in a week or so.”

“That’s not what I meant.” Laxus insisted, frowning. “Why isn’t the Snow Queen here?”

“You hurt Fairy Tail, knowing the guild is under her protection.” Jack answered, those snowflake-dotted eyes on him. “She was ready to freeze you into a statue for that alone.”

“But she didn’t.”

“Because I asked her not to.”

He could only stare, dumbfounded, at the matter-of-fact statement.

“Why…?”

“I should be mad at you.” The winter-girl admitted, tired. “I should be furious and yelling and probably giving you an old-fashioned spanking with my staff, but…”

She sighed, looking far older than he was used to.

“Every time I look at you, I see that sickly little boy that was always asking me to take him sledding, and I just can’t.”

The Lightning Dragon Slayer could not find words, falling silent as Jack stood, straightening out the long sleeves of her white top and brushing frosted woodchips off her jeans.

“I hope you find him.”

With one last backward glance, a tragic look that made Laxus feel like he had kicked at least a hundred innocent puppies and kittens, Jack was gone.

Alone with his thoughts, he sincerely wondered if he could.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back!

At least, for now I am.

I just needed a break from writing and rewriting and rewriting again my original story, so of course Jack smacked me upside the head with her staff as a reminder. So here you go, a bunch of new chapters! I hope I can get through the Edolas arc before I'm pulled away again, at least...

Anyway, enjoy!