Frozen Heart

Chapter 59

Bursting through the guild doors, Jack blurred across the main hall in a shriek of wind, completely and utterly focused on her goal.

Shouldering her way into the medical bay, she only took a fleeting moment to find who she was looking for.

“Gajeel!”

Said mage jerked up at the call of his name, wincing at the various electrical burns that pulled from the action.

“Snowie-”

The winter-girl was at his side in a moment, big blue eyes furious.

“Idiot!” She accused, scowling. “Who told you to fight Laxus, you stupid dragon?!”

Natsu wisely kept his mouth shut, slipping further under his covers-

And don’t think I’m not going to yell at you too, you fire-breathing moron!”

Eeping at the threat, the pink-haired mage shook his head rapidly, as if to say he had never imagined being overlooked.

Whipping around, Jack turned her glare on a now-conscious, wide-eyed Makarov.

“And you! Give me a scare like that again, and I’ll make you wish you were really dying!”

Squeaking in fright, the diminutive Wizard Saint nodded, mouth tightly shut.

Gajeel almost jumped as that glare returned to him, visibly nervous.

“If you ever do something like that again, I’ll-”

Her voice hitched, and Jack went quiet for a long moment, tears rising in her snowflake-dotted eyes.

“I’ll…”

All three men reached new levels of panic at the thought she might cry, and Gajeel had no idea what to do.

“Come on, Snowie, don’t cry.” He floundered, unsure. “It’s not that bad…”

“Not that bad?!” The winter-girl shot back, a sob catching in her throat as tears dangled dangerously on her lashes. “You could have been killed! Or Makarov could have died! Or-!”

“Oi!” Gajeel cut through, shaking her once by the shoulders. “Do either of us look dead to you?”

Taking in a shuddering breath, Jack shook her head, quiet.

“No…”

“Then stop freaking out.” He ordered, firm. “We’re fine.”

She stared up at him for a long stretch of silence, pupils trembling, and the Iron Dragon Slayer about jumped out of his skin when Jack leapt forward, clinging to the loose shirt he wore as she buried her face in his chest.

“Don’t ever scare me like that again.” She begged, voice muffled.

Without thinking twice on it, Gajeel wrapped the winter guardian up in his arms and pulled her close, as if a strong enough grip would squeeze all those tears to death before they fell.

They all knew he could not promise her that.